Starved For Beauty

Seriously consider the Great Northern SUburbs. I live in Olivos , near Presidential residence. Remodeled an older apartment , with all the creature comforts. Nice , quiet , green , safe (as can be realized in Buenos Aires.)

Rents are way down.

9k would be a house in the city, not an apartment. Still very steep imho

I dont know. Could be a decent deal for example this:

casa.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-499819346-alquiler-casas-mariscal-castilla-3000-palermo-chico-previsite-_JM

Theyre listing for $10k / month or $120k/ year in rent.

Also for sale casa.mercadolibre.com.ar/descriptions/MLA499809176

At 3.5mm. That's a price to rent ratio of 29. Which is good by local contexts and great when you compare it to overseas investment (which any potential buyer would be doing)

Thanks again for the many suggestions; I will explore some of those neighborhoods.

My first priority is getting to my favorite milongas quickly and easily. Also important is cultural/intellectual and social life. I appreciate the alternative suggestions, but commuting from a remote area is not giong to work for me.

I'm prepared for a trade-off to have a great tango life (which is unmatched on any other continent). But we can all agree that some city streets are much prettier and more pleasant than others. The rest of my year I live in Florida in a quiet, beautiful area, and walk 5 miles every day around sunset on a gorgeous beach on the Gulf of Mexico. I'll be okay in the city 6 months a year. But at least on a street that's tree-lined and not garbage-strewn, ideally with a few nice cafe's. :)

I don't know where your milongas are but I live way out one of the neighborhoods that borders the province and most days after rush hour traffic dissipates, I can take a taxi 2 blocks from my house and be in Retiro in 10 minutes . Compare that to 10 minutes to go 15 blocks when living in balvanera at the same time of day. I'm not saying that there is not a trade off between living in the center but depending on where you need to go regularly there are far more factors than just the as the crow fly's distance. For example libertador and alcorta have more lanes than highways, lugones to illia to 9 d julio is also usually a quick journey. 12 minutes from the station Scalabrini ortiz to retiro on the belgrano line. Once they finish the improvements on the mitre line it should be 15-20 minutes from belgrano & nunez respectively (currently it seems like it'd be faster walking). On the other hand you regularly need to go to boedo or pompeya, it will be nearly impossible to do so any any reasonable amount of time from palermo or any neighborhood to the north east.

The obvious place to look for beauty and convenience is puerto madero.

I found this ad by googling

http://www.enbuenosa...ero-275743.html

Some friends of mine (argentines) are renting an identical unit in the same building (the whole top floor shares that floor plan, there must be at least 30 apartments like that, most of which are unoccupied) for $7000 pesos. It's difficult to really tell in that post because the unit is set up as an office but it's a completely open undivided living kitchen comedor with 1/2 bath on the entry level with floor to ceiling sliding glass doors running the entire length opening to the balcony which either looks out over the courtyard or out on to the street. On the top level you have a very spacious bedroom with master bath and walk in closet and large skylights that open to the night sky. Plenty of space downstairs for dancing while reserving space for a dining table.

Considering what my friend told me about the occupancy and that most of the sold units were bought as investments, it doesn't seem unlikely that a little digging (i.e. calling administration or the realtor responsible for commercialization) could turn up a unit available for temporary rental.

Pretty specific suggestion I know ;), but it just popped into my mind. Every time i've been in there I'm impressed by the excellent distribution and use of the space; it's great design work.

Thanks again for the many suggestions; I will explore some of those neighborhoods.

My first priority is getting to my favorite milongas quickly and easily. Also important is cultural/intellectual and social life. I appreciate the alternative suggestions, but commuting from a remote area is not giong to work for me.

I'm prepared for a trade-off to have a great tango life (which is unmatched on any other continent). But we can all agree that some city streets are much prettier and more pleasant than others. The rest of my year I live in Florida in a quiet, beautiful area, and walk 5 miles every day around sunset on a gorgeous beach on the Gulf of Mexico. I'll be okay in the city 6 months a year. But at least on a street that's tree-lined and not garbage-strewn, ideally with a few nice cafe's. :)

Pray tell, which beautiful community do you reside in on the wonderful West Coast of Florida ? My home town is Tampa , and there is not a beach I have not walked from Marco Island to Cedar key.........

I'll be okay in the city 6 months a year. But at least on a street that's tree-lined and not garbage-strewn, ideally with a few nice cafe's. :)

You're not describing Buenos Aires. Mmaybe you should consider the dog crap and garbage part of the authentic tango experience and accept BA for what it is. Paris sounds more like what you're looking for. Great tango there too.

I have a good friend/neighbor offering a long term loft apartment rental in Palermo Hollywood (Nicaragua and Fitzory) - it's not green (no outdoor space) but she has a washer/dryer AND dishwasher - all modern. It's a small, quiet building, she has a balcony. She is also going to leave all her top notch kitchen things - juicers, blenders, etc. The bed is high quality, good sheets - all that stuff we don't normally find in a lot of these tourist rentals! It's actually her place but she is moving to England and wants to rent while she's there. She speaks perfect English because she was educated in US schools and she is normal, fair and awesome - i.e. she won't give you any landlord drama. I think she's going to ask for $800 USD or thereabouts (will also accept pesos) and she I think it will be open in June.

If you're interested PM me and I'll put you in touch with her!

I know that what you are looking for is possible - I myself live in a quiet apartment with a private 80 sq m garden and real hardwood floors 2 blocks from La Isla in Recoleta and I know that there are other places around with private gardens or patios (though most are not as big as mine and many are mostly paved). I own it and pay less than 700 pesos per month in expensas :) It is very easy to walk from here to the center or to Palermo, and to plenty of green and beautiful areas - lots of cafés and trees around too - and the new subway line will probably be completed by the time you are looking to return. The poo/ trash on the streets situation is not as bad here as it is in some other places.

If you are looking for a temporary rental, however, all of this will not come cheap - I was going to price mine at $150 USD/ night for a 2 bed after a high-end remodel, by way of example - and will likely be in USD.

I’d say your best bet is to look for something on a quiet street in Recoleta if being central is really important to you. Tip: streets with bike lanes tend to be quieter and don’t usually have bus routes running along them, you can look up the map on the Mejor en Bici website. The area around Avenida Alvear seems to be full of empty investment properties, so if you can find something around there I doubt noise will be much of an issue, though it may be less lively and a little further away from green space and where you want to be.

Both of my vacation rentals in the neighborhood are quiet and full of light (they don’t sound like what you are looking for, though), and people fall in love with the neighborhood around Juncal/ Ayacucho especially as it is beautiful and charming! Almost everybody wants to come back and stay longer.

In my opinion, Puerto Madero is devoid of both beauty and charm - and the new builds tend to have synthetic fake wood flooring etc, no me gusta - but I am aware that my tastes are not universal.

Good luck!

When I first came to BA I could not believe that apartments did not come with a dishwasher, washing machine, and a dryer. My reaction was, "Sorry, I have a real job and don't have time to be hanging my clothes on the balcony to dry. Plus, if you wash dishes by hand they don't get sanitized!"

My wife laughed. "Negrito, welcome to the real world outside of the USA." We bought a washing machine and now I've gotten very used to hanging our clothes out to dry. And, no one has gotten sick yet from us washing dishes in hot water in the sink.

I now think of all of the energy we save by not using a dryer and a dishwasher.

Back