Starved For Beauty

The other place to try is the Barrio Ingles in Caballito. The thing is you are going to have to give up something to get what you want. And I'm not talking about the dishwasher (which I've only seen in extremely high end places or people's permanent homes -- temporary rental apartments tend not to come with them).

I'm with Philip -- outside of major rush hour it can be very quick to get around the city from areas that may appear "far". Perhaps the best I can recommend for you is to rent a place for the first few weeks you arrive and then use that time to get to know other parts of the city that you haven't visited before. The first time you head out to Caballito or Nunez or Belgrano R or wherever it may seem far away, but you'll soon see it's not. EFrom our place we're only a few mins to the Gral Paz as well so it is only about 15-20mins by car (if you go via the city it can easily end up being an hour though). On the subte I have a 5min walk to the station and then 25mins to Obelisco. My sister in law lives in the Barrio Ingles neighbourhood of Caballito and it's about equidistant (timewise) to the centre on the subte.

Have you tried San Telmo? Each street is very different, but it is beautiful with wonderful old buildings, some redone, and some streets are very quiet (for example, Balcarce, Humberto 1). There is also some nice areas around parque Lezama, especially Casseros which is being revived.
Keep in mind that each block has its own character. Caseros at 500 is almost like Palermo with cool (and expensive) restaurants, trees, close to a park, but Caseros at 900 is part of Constitucion.
There is also a quite area around Finochieto in San Telmo (this street also goes into Barracas, I am talking about the San Telmo part) which has tons of houses that are mansions with internal courtyards.
You have tons of transport options--buses in metrobus and on paseo colon, subte stations.
You also have quite a few milongas, great cafes and restaurants. As an added plus it is very safe--no one belives that, but statistically it is much safer than Belgrano. There is a lot of people on the street at all hours, and it is much safer than Monserat.

My first priority is getting to my favorite milongas quickly and easily. Also important is cultural/intellectual and social life...on a street that's tree-lined and not garbage-strewn, ideally with a few nice cafe's. :)

Thus far, no one knows exactly where you want to be able to get to quickly and easily.

If you provide a list of your favorite milongas (with addresses), perhaps a few members will actually be able to provide the kind of information you are seeking. :rolleyes:

Thus far, no one knows exactly where you want to be able to get to quickly and easily.

If you provide a list of your favorite milongas (with addresses), perhaps a few members will actually be able to provide the kind of information you are seeking. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Steve. I had no Idea I'd be getting so much specific help. I thought people would talk in general about central neighborhoods that have some quiet and beauty. I think I had written as a point of reference "the intersection of Cordoba and Scalabrini Ortiz".

The venues I want to quick access to later this year are:
- Villa Malcolm, Cordoba 5064, near Thames
- La Viruta (not my favorite, but I need to go sometimes) Armenia 1366
- Salon Canning (ditto) Scalabrini Ortiz 1331.

My current favorite milongas are held in:
- El Beso, Riobamba and Corrientes
- Obelisco Tango, Entre Rios 1056
- Plaza Bohemia, Alsina 2540
- Centro Región Leonesa -Humberto 1° 1462

I'll be in Balvanera again in April and May - really easy to get to "my current favorites".
But I want to focus for a period on those Palermo milongas.

[font=Helvetica Neue'][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]For everyone who's kindly advising me about public transportation, thanks, but for late night milongas, taxis are the only way I'll travel. I know that many people take collectivos at 3am and later, but not me.[/background][/font]

Thanks again to everyone for your thoughtful replies, and the private messages. I'll continue getting in touch with some of you privately.
Some pretty wonderful conversations have been born from this thread.

When I'm in town again next month, I can follow your advice and check some of these apartments and barrios in person.

US$9k a month affording, anyone can pay the mullah, as long they are loaded!

I know of a few, that can easily affording to pay US$15k per month, but it is on 5th ave, Manahattan though. Me no ways, paying US$9k a month there in Bs As...Brrrr !

quality furnished 1 br apartments in premier locations costs 1700~2000 usd a month. No other expenses. Electricity, cable tv, internet included. Their are loads of people paying that.

(the same as above) quality furnished 1 br apartments "without furniture" in premier locations cost 7000~9000 pesos a month +2500 pesos a month in expenses + internet/cable tv expenses etc. Their are loads of people paying that including rich locals.

quality furnished 1 br apartments in premier locations costs 1700~2000 usd a month. No other expenses. Electricity, cable tv, internet included. Their are loads of people paying that.

(the same as above) quality furnished 1 br apartments "without furniture" in premier locations cost 7000~9000 pesos a month +2500 pesos a month in expenses + internet/cable tv expenses etc. Their are loads of people paying that including rich locals.

Ceviche-san, Not US$1700~2ks. Iam talkin' in the vecinity of US$9k, that is the figure and for me no ways, if I can afford to pay US$9k a month, might as well invest in building me a place, instead of flashing it down every month. But at the same time, there are always an individual willing to and affording to pay that sum.

GS_Dirtboy. You can get a washer dryer combo. As far as the dishwasher, well, it's sorely missed but hot water does wonders. Unfortunately I haven't seen too many people who see the need for the hot water. I wear latex gloves just to make scorching hot water for the dishes possible.

Back