Stay away from this apartment rental

ghost said:
Google translator does the entire site. You can even register and post if you wish..................................

That's what I meant, post about Florencia with links to this thread and the TripAdvisor thread. I could do it by it won't be perfect - if anyone wants to try or post here in Spanish and I'll register and put it in their forum.

Excuse me for butting in with an opinion but I have said it before, any crime or scam that happens in BsAs to any foreigner should be widely exposed as much as possible on websites for tourism & travel news media, forums, magazines, newspapers etc etc in other countries where it counts. The only way the authorities here will 'hopefully' pull their fingers out & do something about the criminals who ruin it all for everyone is if they get bad exposure internationally.

The current Gov couldn't care less about the tourism industry in Argentina, tourism is just a distraction they put on while they (Gov officials) are busy selling out the country , filling up their external bank accounts & collecting bribes... but for the locals who do rely on tourism, this exposure will hurt..and it should make them exert some political pressure directly or indirectly locally. Let's hope so. At some point, drastic measures have to be taken before the whole thing blows up for all involved.

There is some resistance from some investors to fan this ugly side of Argentina out in the travel press, this is totally understandable, but at some point, in the long term interest of all, the medicine must be taken.

Forgive my rant, but I really hope that this case is fully exposed & an example is made.

French jurist said:
Coming from an US Attorney, it can't be summed up any better !
Anyone here registered on Flyer Talk?

I just forwarded this thread to a friend of mine who is a well respected lawyer in Buenos Aires....let's see what he thinks.

pauper said:
I brought cabrera back from the dead. That's the power of love (thankyou Huey Lewis).

Anyway what's my prize, what's my prize?

AkBill said:
$20 pesos voucher at any pizza shop of your choice

esllou said:
month's rent in a great apartment...let me show it to you! Just need a leeeeetle security deposit. You know how it works...

darmanad said:
Pauper, as the one claiming principle responsibility for this deed and even going so far as to claim entitlement to a reward, your "prize" is having to go out with Cabrera on a double date with AKBill during his first date with Florencia. Hopefully, you can prevent Cabrera from interferring with AK's attempt to seduce Florencia.

Well, a delightful evening awaits us Cabrera (along with AKBill and Florencia Daud) - I know a particularly fine pizza establishment where our 20 peso voucher would go a long way - Pizzeria "Los Hijos de Puta", Donovan y Camino Gral Chamizo - Gerli (No hay telefono) The 'cheese' they use forms an impressively impermeable plastic mass atop the pizza, a perfect vessel to hold the 3 and a half litres of grease it usually excretes during the cooking process, they have also pioneered the culinary sensation known as the pancho sin pan.

Afterwards we can all retire to my delightful Recoleta studio rental to take things nice and slowly, just you, me, AKBill, Florencia, and half the population of villa 31.

I registered at this site just to say about this post: You people are freaking AMAZING. Nice work!

You all are great! I am so impressed with your quick research and its to fantastic to know that we all rally around our fellow expats. :)

I run a real estate business here and come across clients weekly who have heard of similar stories over the years. Not only is it unfortunate to those who have been scammed, but it just makes it all the more difficult for the many legitimate owners and agencies here who have integrity.

Not sure what I can personally do to help, but I probably personally receive 20-30 inquiries a week. Perhaps if someone could put together a blog/website that we can all collaborate on as we come across shady people scamming fellow expats and tourists. It obviously happens on a broader scale here every day, but rental deposits likely being the most pricey of course. My friends visiting from SF were charged $38 pesos for a large bottle of water and gum yesterday. I mean really???

Anyway if there was a site with people/places to avoid I would happily pass along to every inquiry I receive and I know many of my colleagues would happily do the same.

I'll also forward to this thread to a couple of my Argentine lawyer friends in town. Any other random ideas of how to help from the creative souls here let me know...happy to bitch-slap her too. jaja.

Having also been scammed in this regard (as posted previosuly) I concur that this thread has been both entertaining to read and refreshing in its sense of expat solidarity..(solidarida) a much overused word here that doesnt show its face as frequently in daily reality.
I just wanted to comment on the posts with regards to the renter feeling shame or being worried..I think that´s us projecting our sense of ethics and values onto another culture where such are sorely lacking in certain monied and educated individuals. Sadly, and as previously posted I have witnessed cons, including lawyers engaging in illegal behavior even worse than this post and genuinely feeling entitled to do so. They seem to believe that because they have been screwed by life (el corralito etc) that they must do whatever it takes to make the most money possible..they do not seem to see themselves as prepetrators but rather as victims. I literally have heard one one soon-to-be ex-wife of one such guy (former latam president of one of the largest multinationals in the world) complain when he fleeced her out of her divorce settlement "I saw him do it to other people, but I never thought he´d do it to me". In other words I was happy to turn a blind eye.
And no I´m not a hater..I am as equally wowed by the upstanding nature and honesty of many other Argentineans I am proud to call my friends. I just firmly believe that this lady renter will feel no shame and will have no fear of any comeback from the lawsociety here, a quarter of which may consider her behavior ethical in theri udnerstanding of the wor:mad:d.

I just talked to my Argentine friend about the case and he was totally furious. This is exactly what he told me " they should go to her house and threaten her to burn it down or hire someone to threaten her if she doesnt produce the money in 2 minutes..thats the only way Argentines react.those reports are not going to bring any solution..its the same as going to the police...no solution.. one's gotta take matters into one's own hands"

Back