Steak

Olive oil does break down at relatively low temperatures. It can be used to cook things that don't require too much heat. Cooking steak is however too much heat.

I use olive oil, always used, and never had a problem. In fact, oive oil is the more sophisticated of the oils, so it gives some extra flavour

You should all watch masterchef. Then youd know how to cook a proper steak. Chef Ramsey knows his steak.

What brands of oil do you use? I was once told by a chef that "Natura" (the girasol/sunflower type) would be an excellent oil. What are your opinions/experiences?
I don't use oil. I use a slotted skillet (plancha) with a bit of the fat from the meat rubbed on the surface.
Olive oil loses it's [better] properties the more you heat it so I try to reserve olive oil use to bread dipping, salads, and such. I don't use butter anymore since my last physical resulted in a cholesterol warning. With poultry I use Natura or a light coloured sunflower oil.

Very good tips, however it's a version of oil pan Fried Steak, what Oil should be used?
However a steak Must be grilled over mesquite or other hard wood.or coal
If anyone needs a meat thermometer let me know, excellent ones at a hardware store on Arenales and Ayacucho.
For asados, I never use the charcoal sold in the city. I found that hardwood (and particularly the wood sold around Villa Gesell) really made a great difference in flavour. The coal left something of a chemical smell and taste. Mesquite would be great, but for now, I've found sources in my neighborhood for decent firewood.
I could use a meat thermometer...i will check it out the next time I'm in that area. Thanks.

My take on the whole cooking with olive oil thing...

Extra Virgin OO is different from other olive oils in that it is a first, cold pressing. After that, they use heat to extract more oil out of the olive must, producing the less expensive olive oils. So what makes Extra Virgin so expensive is that it has no heat applied to it to alter its flavour.

So why cook with it then? If you add heat, you are degrading it to the level of heat extracted olive oil which is cheaper. Thus if I want to cook with olive oil, I just use the cheaper stuff, and save the EVOO for salads and stuff.

Insofar as steaks go, Chez Rooney they are either cooked in butter or their own lard. I know some folks argue that you shouldnt take butter past its flash point, but I like me the taste of burnt butter.

There are some really elegant EVOOs from Córdoba. To me it seems a shame to cook the flavour out of them.

What about paleta, peceto, nalga? Anyone have some recommendations for these cuts? I tried these on the plancha but haven't had much luck. I know that I'm overcooking them, but maybe these are not meant for the skillet either.
:huh: It's funny; I never have these issues with a good pork tenderloin. I'm going to try the suggestions, perhaps I can find the right method.

Back