Stray Dogs In Tandil-Adoption Tips/help With Transport?

If the cost is prohibitive you might want to find a remis that would take pets and hire a large one and offer a rideshare here for someone who always wanted to go to Tandil and would therefore not mind participating financially in this rescue.

Sheawj, if you end up doing this, send me a PM. If you're going to take a big remis there and back (if it takes lets say driver + 5 + dog) and it's 1000 pesos each way, that's 400 pesos each for a return trip? It'll depend on my work, but if we can make a proper day trip out of it, or do like saturday go there, sunday come back I'd definitly be interested. Could bring my girlfriend along too. Poor dog!

Sheawj, if you end up doing this, send me a PM. If you're going to take a big remis there and back (if it takes lets say driver + 5 + dog) and it's 1000 pesos each way, that's 400 pesos each for a return trip? It'll depend on my work, but if we can make a proper day trip out of it, or do like saturday go there, sunday come back I'd definitly be interested. Could bring my girlfriend along too. Poor dog!
Thank you and I will definitely let you know if we do this. My fiancee works at a hospital on weekends and probably can't do a Saturday-Sunday deal, but it's still a bit early to know for sure.

My partner actually suggested something like this. :rolleyes:

That might actually be your best/cheapest bet. I'm in touch with quite a few "rescatistas" and have heard about mascotas express too...so that can't be a bad option.
Do let us know how this turns out. I'm always hearing such horrible things about the poor street dogs here and it would be great to know that another one has found a permanent home...
xx

That might actually be your best/cheapest bet. I'm in touch with quite a few "rescatistas" and have heard about mascotas express too...so that can't be a bad option.
Do let us know how this turns out. I'm always hearing such horrible things about the poor street dogs here and it would be great to know that another one has found a permanent home...
xx

Absolutely, Ashley. :)
We are contacting a few folks on Mercado Libre today (well, my partner will when she gets home in an hour since my Spanish isn't the best). Ideally we would go to Tandil for the night, locate her at the campsite, then head back in a car the next day (more than likely, my partner will be doing this alone since I head back to work Monday, damn it). Or maybe it's just easier to get a car both ways since there isn't a heck of a lot in Tandil...? Argh. So many difficult options and I wish that I was just able to take her on the train the other day. She is much better behaved than the kids who were on the train, so why not? ;) I think today we will have something concrete to go with and we'll all feel better. I had trouble sleeping last night because I am worried about her and just want her here with us, you know?

You can rent a car for $30 to $50 for a 24 hour day. Drive there and back.

Sound like a neat dog.

You can rent a car for $30 to $50 for a 24 hour day. Drive there and back.

Sound like a neat dog.
She definitely is.
I can drive, though I only have my US license...the problem is that I am completely petrified to drive here. On the rural roads, totally fine...anywhere near CF, forget it.

I've never seen car hire places here that offer those sorts of rates. We were getting quoted almost a thousand pesos for 48 hours plus the company holds between 7,000 and 20,000 pesos on your credit card (depending on the company) which you are liable to pay in case you have an accident or damage the car in some way.

Give her a sedative, put her in an appliance box and smuggle her onto the train.

Or, rent a car (if one can be found cheap) on the outskirts of capital, drive the main part of the trip, then hire remis for the capital federal portion.

We've been working with another member here via PM to find a company that moves pets and he found one for $1200. We have two other contacts here in Vicente Lopez we're going to call today, but I imagine the $1200 will be the one we go with. (As a side note, when I was really upset in Tandil about not being able to take her, one of the first things I said was, 'I'm going to post in the expat forum!' This place does get full of drama and 'so srs' internet hilarity, but you gotta admit, it gets stuff done. I've appreciated all the help I've gotten here, with this sweet dog or otherwise. Even if I'm just fed the hell up with BA and need to read about other people feeling the same frustrations. So thank you, everyone!)

The day after I returned from Tandil, the same day I posted my question here, I added over a hundred photos on Facebook to our Summer 2012-13 album. I talked about this dog and how we were planning on going to get her, and a few coworkers from my previous employer back home offered to help pay for her transportation and anything else we need for her. I did not expect this at all and we feel so fortunate. They are going to Western Union the money and then we're going to go get her as soon as possible.

I've never seen car hire places here that offer those sorts of rates. We were getting quoted almost a thousand pesos for 48 hours plus the company holds between 7,000 and 20,000 pesos on your credit card (depending on the company) which you are liable to pay in case you have an accident or damage the car in some way.

I just did a quick search and found a car at Avis for $342.22AR per day. Yes you do get a hold on your credit card but if you use your CC to rent the car you are covered. Rent with your CC but pay cash when you return the car to take advantage of the blue rate.

If you rent the car, I'll be happy to drive you.

T/

Back