Stray Dogs In Tandil-Adoption Tips/help With Transport?

Major update!
After a frustrating Monday and part of Tuesday, my partner asked another med student if she knew anyone who could help us out. Before this, every method didn't turn out (train didn't go to Tandil, the bus was a no-go, too expensive because it's a fancy pet transport service, people just not answering the phone or emails, etc.) She sent our story to a mailing list and urged us to make a Facebook entry for her to share as well.
Fortunately, a member here had PMed me with a service that was inexpensive and we were planning on using his services Thursday, which was the earliest availability.
Then, yesterday a man who drives a flete got wind of our situation and offered to give us half the price of the man we were planning to use. He goes back and forth between Tandil and BA all the time and he was happy to help. My fiancee was planning to go to Tandil Sunday and return with the dog on Tuesday. We were hoping that the dog truly was always at the campsite area like we had been told.
Then tonight, actually just about an hour ago, we received a FB message from a proteccionista in Tandil. She had been sent a photo of a dog in bad shape, taken at the bus station today by a concerned person. The proteccionista sent the photo to us and asked, 'By chance, is this the dog?'
And you know what? It was.
She looked really bad, it was true, and it hurt our hearts to see her like that. But hey, she was found!
Luckily, our girl was still at the bus station tonight, wet as heck because it's raining in Tandil. Now she is at the proteccionista's home. She is keeping the dog until Tuesday. My fiancee will be in Tandil to take her to the vet and then they'll be home later that day!
Anyways, I am so excited, CRYING, and am probably forgetting a million details. I can't believe our luck...it was meant to be, I guess!
I wanted to pass on the GREAT news and to give special thanks to Quaho and TomAtAlki for all the help. Even the replies and well wishes on this thread were fantastic.
Thank you!

Yey!!! Gosh - I am so happy for you and for her. Give that girl some fooood! I also know of a great vet who makes house calls if you ever need one. She's going to be glued to your side for life. :)

I know of two foreigners that rescued dogs off the street in Argentina. In both cases the dogs were mangy and near death but recovered nicely and have become top notch companions. One ended up in Italy and the other in the US.

Just an update on an old thread...we got our girl on March 5. She had a trip to the vet at Tandil who found nothing wrong with her. She was a bit roughed up from being on the streets (cuts, a bit of a cough), though that was expected. They also said that she was approx one year old. The life span of the dogs in Tandil is around only four or five years!
She came home, slept like crazy, didn't eat too awfully much (which was fine since she was on a diet regimen), had to get used to walking on a leash, had a few more trips to the vet, got integrated with the cat...
And here we are, two months later!
603829_10200852784432757_1144758525_n.jpg

She's a great girl and we couldn't imagine a better dog!

You guys are amazing... just from the pic you can tell, that look is full of love and devotion!! I'm so glad all of your efforts paid off, good luck to all of you!!

Great job! She looks so healthy and well cared for. The initial picture of her with that boy is depressing, she is so skinny and just laying there it seems almost as if she does not have any energy left in her but now,her looks and the spark in her eyes shows the love and care you people has oferred her.! Great job indeed.

Back