Student Visa Paperwork

KatharineAnn

Registered
I have a question for anyone who has gotten a student visa in argentina:

what exactly are they looking for when they ask for the certificado de carencia de antecedentes penales?

I called the argentine embassy, and they told me simply to go to my local police station and get a certificate saying I have no record. I did this, got it apostilled and am ready to go with all my other documentation. The only thing is some people seem to get a 'bci' background check, which sounds like it's something a lot more extensive, timeconsuming, and expensive. I also go back to argentina in one week and don't know if this 'bci' background check can be processed when I'm outside the country. I'm just curious what other people used, if it was a local police record or the entire cvi check... I will try to get the visa with what I have, but I'm curious to see what others have done, since nowhere in migrations or on their website do they specifically say exactly what it is they require....especially since the consulate even told me what I have is good enough. But I'm still worried because I know how beaurocracy is..
Thanks!!

KatharineAnn said:
I have a question for anyone who has gotten a student visa in argentina:

what exactly are they looking for when they ask for the certificado de carencia de antecedentes penales?

I called the argentine embassy, and they told me simply to go to my local police station and get a certificate saying I have no record. I did this, got it apostilled and am ready to go with all my other documentation. The only thing is some people seem to get a 'bci' background check, which sounds like it's something a lot more extensive, timeconsuming, and expensive. I also go back to argentina in one week and don't know if this 'bci' background check can be processed when I'm outside the country. I'm just curious what other people used, if it was a local police record or the entire cvi check... I will try to get the visa with what I have, but I'm curious to see what others have done, since nowhere in migrations or on their website do they specifically say exactly what it is they require....especially since the consulate even told me what I have is good enough. But I'm still worried because I know how beaurocracy is..
Thanks!!

KathrineAnn,

After you arrive (and before you go to migraciones) you will need to get a certificado de carencia de antecedentes penales in Argentina, even though you may never have been here before. It is very easy to obtain.

First go on line at http://www.dnrec.jus.gov.ar/ toprint the form to pay the fee.

You don't need to "reserve su turno por internet" - just go to the " incio del tramite por la web" at http://www.dnrec.jus.gov.ar/TramPerWeb/ and print out the "boleta por 8 horas" for $44.30.

Then go to any Banco Nacion (only) and pay the fee. Don't pay the lesser fee for "24 hour" service" as they didn't accept it at the office on Piedras when I showed up there with a receipt for payment of $34.30. (I had to go back to the bank and pay the difference.)

Then go to the office on Piedras 115 (just below Av de Mayo - you'll see the Argentine flags on the front of the building). The report will be ready in the afternoon of the next working day (not eight hours).

(Piedras is a continuation of Esmeralda.)

You can also go directly to the office on Piedras and they will give you the payment form . Then you can walk to the nearest Banco nacion (facing plaza de mayo) pay the fee, and return to submit your application and have your fingerprints taken (electronically without ink!).

Do not go to Tucuman 1333 for this service.

Be sure to take a photocopy of your passport showing the both the photo page and the page with the Argentina immigration entry stamp.

Though it has been over two years since I arrived in Argentina and received a temporary resident visa, I used a local police report from Illinois and it was accepted at migraciones without any problem. If they say anything, just tell them you were told by the Argentine embassy to get the local report (as opposed to an FBI report or anything else).

Ok thanks for all your advice! The truth is that I don´t have time to do the BCI check anyway, and was just hoping to hear some responses from people who´ve gotten a student visa, kinda to quedarme tranquila more than anything!

And thanks for the info on the antecedentes in Arg. I´ve done it once before, but I don´t remember how the process works at all. Thanks!

Hi,

How much does it cost to obtain an Argentine student visa, and how long are they valid for?

MrBart said:
Hi,

How much does it cost to obtain an Argentine student visa, and how long are they valid for?

I entered the following in the google search box: student visa argentina.

Here are the most informative links that I found:

http://www.embassyofargentina.us/espanol/seccionconsular/studentvisa.htm

Of course you really have to be enrolled as a student in a recognized institution, to qualify for the visa, so consider the tuition costs as well as the cost of obtaining the documents and having them translated in Argentina.

There are National Universities in Argentina that accept a few students tuition free, but competition for admission is intense.

http://www.consargtoro.ca/english/E-university-studies-Argentina.html

The student visa would be issued for as long as you are enrolled in an education program. It does not allow you to work, and you are not required to apply for a DNI.

It is not "legal" to switch from a tourist visa to a student visa in Argentina, or Uruguay or Chile. You would have to return to your home country to do so, according to the following:

http://www.consargenmtl.com/estudin.htm

I believe that where it says you must return to your country to get the student visa is not updated, because the student visa is currently obtained while in Argentina and not in the Argentine consulate of your native country.

Also I might add that it is possible to study in the National Universities for free even if you´re a foreigner without getting a ´cupo´ (which is what is competetive). You can sign up directly to the university in the same inscription period as argentines. Unfortunately this requires legalizing your high school degree, which can only be done after taking 6 exams on ´formacion nacional´, basically 6 subjects from High School in Argentina. Few people are crazy enough to attempt such a thing :)

Ok it's good to know that I can arrive in BA on a tourist visa and that I don't have to leave the country in order to change my status to student visa.

Suerte.

MrBart said:
Ok it's good to know that I can arrive in BA on a tourist visa and that I don't have to leave the country in order to change my status to student visa.

Suerte.

I am happy for you that (if) this is the case. I wondered about this when I found the website. I remember that I was told I couldn't apply for the visa rentista in Argentina, but I did and I got it here!

MrBart said:

Suerte.

Just don't forget to bring the required documents (with the seal of the apostille) from your home country with you. That will make everything so much easier (and cheaper).

You are welcome to contact me once you arrive and I will connect you with the woman who went to migraciones with me and served as my translator. There is no "lawyer" or "immigration attorney" required. As far as I know, only the "investor visa" applicants need them.

I will tell you to go straight to the address Steve said in Piedras. I don't remember to paid this amount or going to any bank to pay and i did it as well few months ago. You can go straight there, usually there is no so many people waiting and I paid them right there as well...

Back