Sube Card - How To Get Cheaper Fares?

Maybe back in the days of three or four pesos to the dollar?.....which would equal the same price as today with the devaluation and inflation...no matter where you go, there you are!

my grieviance is something else.

I always avoided taking the "sube' card and used the tickets available at the station. lately they have just stopped issing 5/10 journey ticktets and only issuing 1/2 journey tickets. Its a bid to move everyone to sube cards? I guess.

folks he is not complaining about how expensive (cheap) it is, he is asking why he isn't getting the half-off discount that he heard about, which was his reason for getting the card. also wondering if he noticed that the card costs 15pesos so the first load would automatically deduct that in the beginning... let me know if i'm not making sense....

folks he is not complaining about how expensive (cheap) it is, he is asking why he isn't getting the half-off discount that he heard about, which was his reason for getting the card. also wondering if he noticed that the card costs 15pesos so the first load would automatically deduct that in the beginning... let me know if i'm not making sense....

yup! i agree! the poor guy wasn't complaining about the price, he was just asking a simple question!

That may be true but since the currency here is pesos and there are many of us that earn and live in pesos what it equates to USD/Euros/whatever doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

Per capita income and the cost of a subway ride

Per capita income in the UK (in USD): 21
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
United Kingdom 36,569 2012 Zone 1 only £4.50
4.5 sterling is about 7 bucks round number. With an Oyster card the cost goes down to about 2,50 GBP per ride (this is a one zone only, there are much more expensive rides, unlike Subte which has a single fee regardless of the zones traveled)

so.... a year's salary would buy 5224 subway rides in London

Argentina GDP
23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png
Argentina[sup][5][/sup] 17,917
however
^[background=rgb(221, 238, 255)] [/background]The IMF is using officially reported data for Argentina. It warns, however, that it has "issued a declaration of censure and called on Argentina to adopt remedial measures to address the quality of the official GDP data. Alternative data sources have shown significantly lower real growth than the official data since 2008." [1]

so I will use a different method.

According to http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary-survey.php?&loctype=1&loc=10

Average and Median Monthly Salary Comparison in Argentina
Maximum: 70,000 ARS
Average: 11,120 ARS
Median: 9,000 ARS
Minimum: 1,500 ARS

If I use the median.... 9,000 pesos, it comes down to 108,000 pesos per year. Divided by 3.5 we get 30,857 subway rides with a year's salary.

London 5,224 subway rides

Buenos Aires 30,857 rides

It's still a laughable thing to pay 3.50 ARS for a subway ride.

Per capita income and the cost of a subway ride

Per capita income in the UK (in USD): 21
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
United Kingdom 36,569 2012 Zone 1 only £4.50
4.5 sterling is about 7 bucks round number. With an Oyster card the cost goes down to about 2,50 GBP per ride (this is a one zone only, there are much more expensive rides, unlike Subte which has a single fee regardless of the zones traveled)

so.... a year's salary would buy 5224 subway rides in London

Argentina GDP
23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png
Argentina[sup][5][/sup] 17,917
however
^[background=rgb(221, 238, 255)] [/background]The IMF is using officially reported data for Argentina. It warns, however, that it has "issued a declaration of censure and called on Argentina to adopt remedial measures to address the quality of the official GDP data. Alternative data sources have shown significantly lower real growth than the official data since 2008." [1]

so I will use a different method.

According to http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary-survey.php?&loctype=1&loc=10

Average and Median Monthly Salary Comparison in Argentina
Maximum: 70,000 ARS
Average: 11,120 ARS
Median: 9,000 ARS
Minimum: 1,500 ARS

If I use the median.... 9,000 pesos, it comes down to 108,000 pesos per year. Divided by 3.5 we get 30,857 subway rides with a year's salary.

London 5,224 subway rides

Buenos Aires 30,857 rides

It's still a laughable thing to pay 3.50 ARS for a subway ride.

This might sound shocking.

PER CAPITA, even safety and quality of service, might rival any NA city standards [San Francisco is not a typical NA city]. Even with budgets that dwarf compared to those of NA cities.

Consider good ol' TO. Population 2.5 million.
Users of transit, no more that 20% (downtown core and little ol' ladies ) i.e. 0.5 million users.

BA population 13 million.
Users of transit more than 80%, i.e. 10 million users. 20 times that of TO.

Accidents here, on the surface may sound excessive, but I doubt if it is anywhere close to 20 times that of TO.

Quality is superb to that of TO, this I can tell you with high degree of confidence.
Scheduled wait time for your ride here is around 3 minutes.
Little ol' ladies in TO would be slugging it out in the snow, sleet and arctic gusting winds for 25 minutes. And if the bus is full, the driver will skip the stop, and you have to wait another 25 minutes. It is not unsual.

Yesterday I noticed that Linea "A" now have BRAND NEW subway cars high tech from China.

Also there are ads saying 1200 coches de tren neuvos 0 km scheduled for 2014 (Also from China).

3 or 4 new subway stations are added here each and every single year, ... TO .. 2 in over 40 years.

The face of the city has changed drastically in 2013 alone with MetroBus, downtown core converted peatonal and greener, like a walk in the park.

3 or 4 new subway stations are added here each and every year, ... TO .. 2 in over 40 years.

While I agree wholeheartedly that subway investment in Toronto has been a joke over the past decade or so, the two stations in 40 years claim is way off. To be sure, the big investments ended in the 1960s with the construction of the Bloor-Danforth line. Even so, since 1973 five stations have been added to the Yonge line (Eglinton to Finch) and at least six stations were added on the Spadina side. System growth slowed even further since the 1980s with only the addition of the Sheppard line (four stations) and the Scarborough RT line (five stations). Still that totals 20 stations in 40 years, for an average of one every two years.

The northern expansion of the Spadina line to York University and Vaughan is about two years from completion and that will add a further six subway stations. Future investment seems geared more to LRTs though, which are probably better suited to a city with Toronto's medium-density sprawl.

Back