SUBE Card - Transit More Expensive for Expats?

Magoya said:
And also: I think its fine. Locals shouldn't be subsidizing the transport of tourists and rich expats.

LOL :rolleyes: Those "rich expats" you seem to disdain often times work hard, are contributing members of society, and pay quite a bit into the system even if it's not easy for them to be a part of it. Many would like to be legal... those who can usually acquire residency or citizenship. Tourists are an asset to any country and should be treated as such... and despite your feelings towards "rich" expats, I believe they bring quite a bit of positive things into Argentina. More than just money.

I don't like the big brother aspect of the SUBE card, but I suppose it's not really much different than the car pass you use to pay tolls. With the government these days, it's safe to assume they know who you are and where you're going, how much money you have and how many dollars you're allowed.... unless of course you're an actual delinquent or scammer. :rolleyes:

As with many income-graduated systems (e.g. income taxes) it is the middle class that gets screwed. In the case of the SUBE card, rich people just don't use public transport, so a graduated fare system in the end squeezes the working middle class, not the rich. Cheap transportation also greases the wheels of commerce, as it enables people to move around easily.

The biggest issue I see is that a graduated rate could reinforce the election of incumbents, as it is kinda like buying off the poor, as opposed to looking out for the good of the entire country.

As for expats and tourists, tourists don't take public transport either. Expats don't vote, so we could be screwed there. We are a relatively small part of the population, so maybe we'll get lucky and just get overlooked. Argentina does in general seem to be pretty expat-friendly in most regards.

Kettle said:
[Come on, please attack the argument, not the person. Calling people stupid or ignorant is counterproductive and makes these forums painful to read or engage in. Seriously.]
Unless, of course, they demopnstrate that they are in fact stupid and/or ignorant beyond any doubt.

Back