Subte strike

Why are they striking this time? To much effort to press the buttons on the card chargers or have they moved on to something else?

PhilipDT said:
Why are they striking this time? To much effort to press the buttons on the card chargers or have they moved on to something else?

Tendinitis is a dangerous condition. it can kill you know! :rolleyes:

All I can describe scenes in the centre last night as commuters tried to get home was chaotic..... Ques of 50 + people waiting for one overcrowded bus. A guy was physically shoving people into the middle door.... Am I venturing into town today..... Thank God ...no

PhilipDT said:

They want a 28% wage hike. I never understand the idiocy of union workers. Think about it logically. If you stop working, the business stops generating income (forget profits), and if they have no income, you can't expect them to increase your wages. And then the companies start making losses and have to lay people off! Kinda like British Airways. But hey, its not like we have anything to learn from British Airways or anything!:rolleyes:

nicoenarg said:
They want a 28% wage hike. I never understand the idiocy of union workers. Think about it logically. If you stop working, the business stops generating income (forget profits), and if they have no income, you can't expect them to increase your wages. And then the companies start making losses and have to lay people off! Kinda like British Airways. But hey, its not like we have anything to learn from British Airways or anything!:rolleyes:

Well the point of a strike is the loss of profits will drive the companies to table to discuss.

With inflation in Argentina so high, it is sort of important to keep the wages in line with inflation. This is probably not about greed on the part of the workers, but just trying to keep up. They will get part of what they want and it will be settled.

NoseyParker said:
Does anyone know if the subte is working today... I think they may be in strike??

Yes.

The short answer is that Kretina & her mafia are currently on a mission to destroy Macri.

Who cares about the collateral damage? Not the Ks.

garygrunson said:
This is probably not about greed on the part of the workers, but just trying to keep up.

Everyone needs to keep up, not just the union workers. It's not possible in the medium or long term - something has to give and will. Increasing union salaries which were already above the norm just creates wider wage gaps between those in power (in one way or another, be it government or unions themselves) and those who depend more on the free-er market to make their living.

One of my brothers-in-law just got a job at Terrabusi, starting at $3,700 pesos a month. This is for a guy to ride around in a truck, help unload, and give an invoice to the delivery contact. 40 hour a week. It's a union entry-level job.

He was working in a verduleria, working as much as 70 hours a week, back-breaking hard work lugging sacks of vegetables, washing them, arranging them, with a half hour for lunch break each day. Making about $2800 pesos a month. He'd been there for almost two years. It's not a union job.

He lucked into this job through his girlfriend, who is Peruana. Her father has some contacts at the company, who got him into the union and employed at the company.

More power to him, to grab what's out there, for sure. I can't blame him and am very happy that he managed to get a job like that here.

But his other three brothers are still in the verduleria. One of them has a wife and kid. Things are very tough on them.

notebook.fix said:
Yes.

The short answer is that Kretina & her mafia are currently on a mission to destroy Macri.

Who cares about the collateral damage? Not the Ks.

Indeed, this is the case. Most Subte Union leaders are Kirchneristas and all these years they have never said a word about inflation and their salaries..keep in mind that all these years the subte has been under the National govnrmt wing. Now, with kretina trying to install the idea the Macri is in charge now of the subway (even though it obviously is not..there has not been a passing of management from national to city hands), only now they start striking, and if you hear them talk, all they say is that they exepct Macri to sit and negotiate. I cannot speak on behalf of the workers per se, but their union leaders are only doing this cuz they want Macri to look bad, like all this is his fault (they, and kretina of course dont give a rats ass about the citizens and even the workers..the real ones i mean).
I guess this is just another day on Kretina regime :S

Head's up!! The subway's not running Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday next week!

Back