Subte Strike 101

Macri has a point, in the state thats its in (ie neglected and in need of capital investment), why would he want it? The only option would be to increase fares to try and maintain (ha!) the service level and would need to increase them a helluva lot to improve it, given workers demands. Theres no way he can come out looking anything like the bad guy.

Yeah, I don't any alliances being new to BA, but it does seem Macri's being screwed. But I can't figure out why he raised subte prices if he then decided not to take it over.

sinagua980 said:
Yeah, I don't any alliances being new to BA, but it does seem Macri's being screwed. But I can't figure out why he raised subte prices if he then decided not to take it over.

I'm not sure he actually did. He's never taken over properly.

If i remember it was in the Cristina's hands, then Macri's, then back to the Cristina and at some point in the pass the parcel the prices went up.

Macri made a comment about how the city didn't need equipment over 100 years old. He would have been referring to the "A" line which has a lot of the original early 20th century coaches, amazing antiques that continue to work well. It's the oldest subway line in Latin America that has survived only through indifference. An enlightened government would value these trains and the mostly untouched stations. With some mechanical overhauling and restoration the original wooden trains could continue to operate with the potential of being a major tourist attraction like the St Charles St trolley line in New Orleans or the cable cars in San Francisco. This of course would be a plus as the line would remain a vital transportation link. Sadly Macri is not interested in this sort of thing. His attitude toward the Teatro Colon has been antagonistic so that should give you an idea of his cultural leanings. The irony is that scrapping the old trains and replacing them with more used castaways from Japan (like the miserable B line) or wherever would not be a real improvement and would lead to missing a business opportunity, i.e. the promotion of tourism by refurbishing one of BA's most important legacies.

chris said:
Macri made a comment about how the city didn't need equipment over 100 years old. He would have been referring to the "A" line which has a lot of the original early 20th century coaches, amazing antiques that continue to work well. It's the oldest subway line in Latin America that has survived only through indifference. An enlightened government would value these trains and the mostly untouched stations. With some mechanical overhauling and restoration the original wooden trains could continue to operate with the potential of being a major tourist attraction like the St Charles St trolley line in New Orleans or the cable cars in San Francisco. This of course would be a plus as the line would remain a vital transportation link. Sadly Macri is not interested in this sort of thing. His attitude toward the Teatro Colon has been antagonistic so that should give you an idea of his cultural leanings. The irony is that scrapping the old trains and replacing them with more used castaways from Japan (like the miserable B line) or wherever would not be a real improvement and would lead to missing a business opportunity, i.e. the promotion of tourism by refurbishing one of BA's most important legacies.

Yes, I love the A line. I will hate to see it go when it does, although I know the line is considered "dangerous." In order to make these decisions you've mentioned regarding the wonderful train cars and their history, those in charge would have to be thinking long-term...ideology that simply doesn't happen here. You are so right that it has only survived because of indifference.

In general, here in Argentina, do workers on strike get paid during their strike?

allcraz said:
Yes, I love the A line. I will hate to see it go when it does, although I know the line is considered "dangerous." In order to make these decisions you've mentioned regarding the wonderful train cars and their history, those in charge would have to be thinking long-term...ideology that simply doesn't happen here. You are so right that it has only survived because of indifference.

I don't know that it is any more dangerous than the other lines that get minimal maintenance. Replacing the historic cars -- a real treasure - is not likely to make things better. Metrovias will likely buy rejects from Japan or some European country. Then they will not even bother to change the paint scheme or remove the signs in another language (I think there are still some Japanese language signs on the "B" line). The B line trains (if you can see through the graffiti) maintain the original Marinouchi Line color scheme from when it was part of the Tokyo subway system.

chris said:
Then they will not even bother to change the paint scheme or remove the signs in another language (I think there are still some Japanese language signs on the "B" line). The B line trains (if you can see through the graffiti) maintain the original Marinouchi Line color scheme from when it was part of the Tokyo subway system.

Yes, you're correct: http://ansoncfit.com/watson/el-subte-de-buenos-aires/

Back