Subway fares go up 127% percent tomorrow

elhombresinnombre said:
These people, I estimate, are going to be down at least AR$200 per month and coping is going to be a real struggle.

At a AR$1.40 increase, you're saying these people take at least 143 trips on the subte per month?

But numbers aside, I agree with what you said on how it will affect most people out there, not us whiny expats. ;)

what wave said:
I don't mind paying more, as long as there's a good reason. I'd happily pay 10 pesos per subway journey if:

* The subways were clean (ever change at 9 de Julio? Gross!).
* The lines were being extended.

I think you have to choose between wanting something cheap and wanting something good. Very cheap subsidized transport is good as it makes it accessible to pretty much everyone, but at these prices there will never be any left over to improve existing infrastructure.

I think that every sutbe line, EXCEPT for Subte C, is currently being extended and in the case of E, I think it's being extended at both ends.

The clean part may come in the future, it may not. The biggest detriment to cleanliness is societal attitudes and practices. The way that trashing things is completely accepted here (from litter & dog poop on the sidewalks to graffiti and more) makes it difficult to just "clean stuff up" overnight. Instead it would take thousands and thousands of metropolitan police and instructions to arrest and/or fine people all day long.

Then we'd have Lucas and Marksoc ranting about Macri's fascismo while most of us would be quietly thinking "POR FIN!"

El Duderino said:
At a AR$1.40 increase, you're saying these people take at least 143 trips on the subte per month?

But numbers aside, I agree with what you said on how it will affect most people out there, not us whiny expats. ;)

For someone who just takes the subway twice a day, this will be an extra $56 pesos if they work just 5 days a week. Make that $67 if you work on a Saturday. If you're living on a budget as it is -- and let's face it, even us migrants do -- then this isn't good. That's 8-10 bags of pasta, 7-8 cartons of milk... If it's not food, it might be your electric and gas bill combined.

And most people probably spend more than 67 pesos. Those who live in the province will undoubtedly be spending more than 100 pesos a month, as they take colectivos and trains. The government is threatening to raise the prices for those as well...

bradlyhale said:
And most people probably spend more than 67 pesos. Those who live in the province will undoubtedly be spending more than 100 pesos a month, as they take colectivos and trains. The government is threatening to raise the prices for those as well...

Although it is only semantics, the government isn't really "threatening to raise the prices". What the national government is saying "we can no longer subsidize these methods of transportation and now the people using these services will have to actually pay how much they cost.

There's a difference.

Not much of one, but there is one.

Napoleon said:
Although it is only semantics, the government isn't really "threatening to raise the prices". What the national government is saying "we can no longer subsidize these methods of transportation and now the people using these services will have to actually pay how much they cost.

There's a difference.

Not much of one, but there is one.

Semantics, indeed, and irrelevant to the person making some 3,000-4,000 pesos a month (or less), having to pay rent, utilities, buy food and trying to save just a little bit of it along the way, which is kind of pointless now because the peso is worth some 5 percent less every year.

What you're leaving out of the equation is the money that the government is saving on not subsidizing transportation is allowing them to pay for all of their other expenses (in theory).

There are about 50,000* projects that Cristina has started in the last 18 months and you wouldn't want all of those to be stopped halfway just so people don't have to spend quite as much on transportation.

It's not like ALL of this saved money is going to buy clothes and build boutique hotels. Most of it really is being "re-invested" into the country. I'm sure that the people in Salta are heartbroken that the people en la capi are now going to have to pay a little more for the subtes y bondis. The people in Rosario are probably protesting in the streets right now. And don't get me started about the Cordobans. ("...do you know who really drinks a lot of Fernet y Coke?...")

This is the NATIONAL government after all. They do have a responsibility to more than just Ciudad Autonoma de Buenos Aires.

*"50,000" is a number that I pulled out of my ass. I have no clue what the true number of Obras Nacionales really is.

Napoleon said:
What you're leaving out of the equation is the money that the government is saving on not subsidizing transportation is allowing them to pay for all of their other expenses (in theory).

Right, like $200 million USD for essential programs like Fútbol para Todos. :) I do see your point, though, and supposedly, this is what CFK is doing. They're restructuring how the subsidies are spent.

Oh, and it seems that CFK will not be raising the ticket price (or eliminating the subsidy, as some may prefer ;) ) for trains and colectivos.

dr__dawggy said:
Lining one's pockets at public expense is a time honored Argentine tradition. Can you think of a single prominent official who has not enriched their own wealth through their "service?"

I can name you one: the ex president Raúl Ricardo Alfonsín. And this is usually recognized even by many of those who criticized him.

El Duderino said:

I'm not arguing with you because I can see we are both coming from the same place so I'm just explaining my assumptions. One of those assumptions was that bus and train subsidies will disappear soon but I see Bradleyhale has better news on that which he has placed elsewhere in this thread - thanks for that!

I was working on the sometimes-quoted understanding that a worker from the province typically has to change transport twice on their way to work in the city - that is a journey from A to D will involve a change at B and C. And if you take any random place in CABA that a worker might live and any random place they might work, the chances are less than good that they can get there direct on one bus/train/subte journey - a problem multiplied by the number of random part-time jobs you might have to undertake to survive.

In short, as I think most of us agree, it's going to mean more going without for those people who are already going without too much.

elhombresinnombre said:
In short, as I think most of us agree, it's going to mean more going without for those people who are already going without too much.

I am thinking similar to you. One of my friends in san isidro has a cleaning lady that comes in once a week, and on that particular day she also cleans 2 other houses, that is at least 4 bus/train rides - and i am not sure if she has to take more than 1 bus to get to his house or not, as she told me it was over 1 hour to get to his house, but the other houses she cleans are closer and only short bus ride away. I dont know if it is the same for every day she works, but even if its just 2 different jobs a day, that will add 21 peso a week, so maybe close to an extra 100 pesos a month in travel costs just to go to work - and for someone on a low wage its alot.

Back