supermarket lines

Reina,

Thank you. If you blame everything on other people, then nothing is your fault, and nothing needs to change.

Things need to change here.

I like this city, a lot. Unlike many expats, I actually really like living here, decidedly more so than the US. And what bothers me most here isn't the collectivos, or the quality of the water or the supermarket lines or even anything similar.

It's the shit everywhere. There are easily 5x+ as many trash cans here as in Seattle, USA, a very clean city, yet nobody can seem to use them. I see bus receipts tossed not meters from the nearest trash cans. Nobody picks up after the dog when it craps on the street. The cartoneros toss garbage all over the street to the point that a separate government team has to come and clean up after them. WTF???!@!>>! Just create a city wide recycling program and use all the recycler cleanup guys as the new recycling crew, jesus. Not to mention any statue, or other wise public piece of art or decoration has been defaced with graffiti. It is absurd.

STOP throwing your shit own the ground, there are so many trash cans here i can't believe it.

STOP puking on the fucking train; it's fucking disgusting.

STOP spray painting the day's ephemeral political statement over sculptures,buildings,etc that belong as much to you, the pueblo argentino, as the government or the owners of the particular object.

STOP robbing people if you're broke. There are plenty of poor people here living by other means. If you can't look at your self in the mirror at the end of the day you should hang yourself.

STOP posting a million of your fucking little prostitute cartelitos everywhere. It's garbage, can't you just use craigslist like the pimps in the USA? At the very least just make one big ad with tear-off numbers at the bottom.

STOP breaking up the sidewalk for stones to throw at the police!!!!!!!! Seriously what the fuck???? What percentage of police are going to walk along that broken sidewalk vs your fellow argentines? It makes no sense.

STOP driving like fucking assholes, I know agressive driving, but when you have five open lanes and you aim for the one pedestrian crossing the street, you're a fucktard.

I love buenos aires, and I have a lot of porteno friends, but, in general, I feel like the portenos are destroying this city.

PhilipDT, why don't you try San Isidro? It is clean, at least half the people use the corner trashcans, prostitutes don't venture this far from downtown, dogs have their own yard bathrooms, sidewalks are mostly whole, and there is so little foot traffic that no one wastes time painting graffiti on walls.

We get our fair share of robbers, kidnappers, and burglars but, on the whole, life is more civilized out here.

H
SaraSara said:
PhilipDT, why don't you try San Isidro? It is clean, at least half the people use the corner trashcans, prostitutes don't venture this far from downtown, dogs have their own yard bathrooms, sidewalks are mostly whole, and there is so little foot traffic that no one wastes time painting graffiti on walls.

We get our fair share of robbers, kidnappers, and burglars but, on the whole, life is more civilized out here.

I've been lurking on this thread a bit but feel the need to chime in here. Sara, sorry, but re-focusing on San Isidro quite misses the point. There are a few things that can be done to dramatically improve the quality of life here, and as PhilipDT pointed out using trash cans and picking up dog poop is are but a few easy ones. Just looking somewhere else that does it slightly better doesn't answer the question or remotely address the problem--in this particular case how unfortunately a majority of inhabitants in this city (Cap Fed) treat it as if it were a giant garbage can. I think education is the problem, and that change is coming, but that it's still several years off. Honestly a lot of the time I feel like BA/Argentina is where the States was in the early 80s when I was a kid before the recycling "don't be a litterbug" campaigns took off. For what it's worth I do see more people picking up their dog poops than a couple of years ago tho...

SaraSara said:

I'm sure it is, I'm in the northern burbs a few times a week at least. But while it's really pleasant, it lacks the je ne sais quoi of la ciudad, which has captured my heart.

PhilipDT said:
I'm sure it is, I'm in the northern burbs a few times a week at least. But while it's really pleasant, it lacks the je ne sais quoi of la ciudad, which has captured my heart.

Quite true - San Isidro is clean and pleasant, but no one would accuse it of being stimulating and vital.

It's a place for retired people like myself, or families with children. Small children, that is, because when they reach their teens they get so bored that their parents move the family to the centro in self-defense.

By the way, my little blurb was written tongue-in-cheek - should have put one of these at the end: ;)

PhilipDT said:
Reina,

Thank you. If you blame everything on other people, then nothing is your fault, and nothing needs to change.

Things need to change here.

I like this city, a lot. Unlike many expats, I actually really like living here, decidedly more so than the US. And what bothers me most here isn't the collectivos, or the quality of the water or the supermarket lines or even anything similar.

It's the shit everywhere. There are easily 5x+ as many trash cans here as in Seattle, USA, a very clean city, yet nobody can seem to use them. I see bus receipts tossed not meters from the nearest trash cans. Nobody picks up after the dog when it craps on the street. The cartoneros toss garbage all over the street to the point that a separate government team has to come and clean up after them. WTF???!@!>>! Just create a city wide recycling program and use all the recycler cleanup guys as the new recycling crew, jesus. Not to mention any statue, or other wise public piece of art or decoration has been defaced with graffiti. It is absurd.

STOP throwing your shit own the ground, there are so many trash cans here i can't believe it.

STOP puking on the fucking train; it's fucking disgusting.

STOP spray painting the day's ephemeral political statement over sculptures,buildings,etc that belong as much to you, the pueblo argentino, as the government or the owners of the particular object.

STOP robbing people if you're broke. There are plenty of poor people here living by other means. If you can't look at your self in the mirror at the end of the day you should hang yourself.

STOP posting a million of your fucking little prostitute cartelitos everywhere. It's garbage, can't you just use craigslist like the pimps in the USA? At the very least just make one big ad with tear-off numbers at the bottom.

STOP breaking up the sidewalk for stones to throw at the police!!!!!!!! Seriously what the fuck???? What percentage of police are going to walk along that broken sidewalk vs your fellow argentines? It makes no sense.

STOP driving like fucking assholes, I know agressive driving, but when you have five open lanes and you aim for the one pedestrian crossing the street, you're a fucktard.

I love buenos aires, and I have a lot of porteno friends, but, in general, I feel like the portenos are destroying this city.

Iam complaining on the same things you do and what Iam saying is that people shouldn`t put the blame on others, I agree with all you say but I don`t know why you make it so personal I give my opinion and to make things more clear what I say is that local should respect themselves having a clean city and behaving as educated persons I don`t think this is offensive to deserve such a answer.
regards
Reina

Back