Survey Of Tango Dancers.

Doctorate student doing research on tango and doesn´t speak Spanish? It is such a shame that the US educational system doesn´t get people fluent in foreign languages. (I myself didn´t learn Spanish until after I graduated, even though I took 10 years of classes).

Doctorate student doing research on tango and doesn´t speak Spanish? It is such a shame that the US educational system doesn´t get people fluent in foreign languages. (I myself didn´t learn Spanish until after I graduated, even though I took 10 years of classes).

She's doing a thesis on the influence of tango and psychotherapy and vice versa, not a doctorate on Spanish. She's trying to learn castellano. It's a slow process and harder for some more than others. When you live in the States, you often don't find the need to be bilingual, and I wish more Americans were, but that's not the case. Anyway, she speaks some German, Hebrew and Yiddish, and has been incorporating castellano the last several years.

Considering psychoanalysis has long been dismissed as utter bullshit by most of the world, I'm not surprised she chose to focus on Argentina, one of the few places where it's still taken seriously by the general population, as opposed to doing research in a country where she actually speaks the language.

Unfortunately she only speaks a few words in castellano. That's why I had to translate her consent form and survey to castellano. Thank you for the information. I'll pass it on to her. Would you be interested in doing the survey? Send me a PM. Or email Lexa directly.

It sounds, then, as if she's ill-prepared to undertake fieldwork. Even those of us who speak Spanish fluently know how difficult it can be to understand this country.

She's doing a thesis on the influence of tango and psychotherapy and vice versa, not a doctorate on Spanish. She's trying to learn castellano. It's a slow process and harder for some more than others. When you live in the States, you often don't find the need to be bilingual, and I wish more Americans were, but that's not the case. Anyway, she speaks some German, Hebrew and Yiddish, and has been incorporating castellano the last several years.

Living in New York, she would have had plenty of opportunity to pick up Spanish.

Considering psychoanalysis has long been dismissed as utter bullshit by most of the world, I'm not surprised she chose to focus on Argentina, one of the few places where it's still taken seriously by the general population, as opposed to doing research in a country where she actually speaks the language.

It's that the tango comes from Rio de la Plata, so she decided to come here. Oddly enough, there are more psychoanalysts in Argentina than anywhere else in the planet. It has a long history here. I wonder why so many people still have emotional problems? Anyway, my personal feelings on psychoanalysis have nothing to do with her research. She's my friend and I'll support her endeavors to better her education and get her Doctorate. FYI. She's also conducting the same research on tango dancers in the U.S.

Living in New York, she would have had plenty of opportunity to pick up Spanish.

Email her and tell her, not me. I'm just helping her contact people that might be interested in her survey. Tranquilo, baja un cambio. Don't possumpoll the thread.

I don t see any relationships between them, but right, you are the messenger.

The only tango dancer I got to "know" when I lived in BA had spent ten years in psychotherapy by the time she was 40.

I think she might want to possibly study the connection as dance used as a therapy. Dance therapy has become quite popular and I think only the last few years it's been used with tango. Maybe she's just studying the connection between those who dance and do therapy at the same time? How many feel the need for therapy if they dance, of the dance substitutes as therapy or as an outlet, or if it complements traditional therapy. It might not seem like there's no connection buy some people dance to blow off steam, others play golf or fish, and others knit scarves and sweaters.

Back