Survey - What are the 3 biggest issues you have in BA?

1. Food/beer. Lack of variety and quality, and the prices are high.
2. Noise. Maybe I've had bad luck where I've lived, but I've been woken up and have had trouble sleeping because of random noise.
3. Cost of living/inflation. This city is about as expensive as Chicago, and this city sure ain't Chicago.

starlucia said:
1) Not being able to eat well/take much pleasure in cooking, either because of not being able to get former staples here (hormone-free dairy, nut butter, frozen blueberries, kale), or having to pay an exorbitant price for them (coffee, nuts, fish, imported anything)

2) The lax hygiene standards -- food workers not using gloves and/or showing up visibly sick, people that sneeze/cough without covering their mouths (WHY IS THIS?), restaurant bathrooms with no soap

3) The super-cautious attitude towards security adopted from the locals. Although I'm lucky enough to have not yet been a victim of crime, it's exhausting being suspicious and alert 24/7, and emotionally demoralizing to hear story after story from personal friends about thefts, scams, muggings, even violent home invasions/rape in front of the children

And the inflation, of course, but that's easier for me to cope with because I can control my spending habits accordingly. The issues that are completely out of my control (crime, filth, inefficiency) are the truly frustrating ones.

I missed having almond butter and almond milk so much, and found a great place that used organic nuts etc. I think it was only about 8 dollars for a decent sized jar.

www.cocinaverde.com

Tons of nut butters (pumpkin, almond, cashew etc etc)

1. Crime and safety

2. Price vs quality of goods

3. Pollution / Filth / Lack of Upkeep
Some potholes if you fall in, you're never getting out!... Even in nicer places it's bad if you veer one or two blocks away from the main road. I couldn't believe the piles and piles of trash that were on the side streets in Palermo. And the air is filthy!! Nothing like blowing your nose and finding black boogers! :eek:

(An honorable mention goes to corruption at every level, lack of competent authorities, bureaucracy, and anti-business/pro handouts legislation.)

In my opinion:

1). The constant subway and colectivo strikes/road blockings... I want to work and do my job, but I can´t because there are some people who don´t want to do theirs. The fact that 10 people can completely cut off a major highway or street or bridge boggles my mind (and gives me a headache!).

2). The lack of customer service... be it in a restaurant or a store or getting a technician to come my apartment, they act like they are doing me a HUGE favor. Also, saying the magic words "Please" and "Thank you" never hurt anyone!

3). I have to agree with Citygirl... People simply do not spay or neuter their pets, and the fact that I see so many poor and hungry animals on the street (whose suffering could have easily been prevented) breaks my heart and angers me.

There are others, but these are the most important to me.

1. The people: For me this includes corruption at every level, the screw-over-or-be-screwed over mentality which leads to paranoia and general lack of trust, which leads to difficulty in making friends/forming a support network without having an "in," horrendous customer service and work ethic, arrogance (people who think BA is the best place on earth when they've never even left the country and will go on and on about it without being asked), the list goes on. This is the number one reason I am leaving. Can't stay in a city where nine times out of ten I don't care for the locals. After a couple years it becomes very difficult not to make generalizations. I wish everyone would take a chill pill and RELAX.

2. Crime: I have never been a victim of a crime in BA, but the paranoia all around me has affected me psychologically to the point where I cannot walk down the street in any barrio with my purse without feeling at least a little tense. Ever. There are no reliable crime statistics out there to know how bad it really is, and yet by the locals' attitude you'd think we were in Caracas or Baghdad right now. So while nothing has ever happened to me, with only anecdotes to go by I do not feel safe here anymore.

3. Inflation: I was never on a big budget here and am no princess, but the high prices we now must pay for the piss poor service, bad food, shitty apartments, etc. is the bad part. High prices for good quality I could handle by adjusting my spending. But if you're going to charge 30+ pesos for a poorly-made drink, at least use a clean glass and perhaps consider wiping that sneer off your face. It just sucks when after being as frugal as you can you finally treat yourself, it's not much of a treat because of, well, see #1.

But if you're going to charge 30+ pesos for a poorly-made drink, at least use a clean glass and perhaps consider wiping that sneer off your face. It just sucks when after being as frugal as you can you finally treat yourself, it's not much of a treat because of, well, see #1.

And if you're going to charge a servicio de mesa that costs as much as a beverage (btw, my students were SHOCKED to learn that table charges don't exist in the US), try to justify it somehow. A few places have bangin' bread baskets or noshes, but the majority just toss out a few stale, store-bought rolls or, in some cases (ahem, Sudestada and Benihana), charge $10 but don't give you anything at ALL.

All of the above, and:

1. conformity, people are conformist and every time you say something is stupid they answer "claro". I hate that word (also tranquila, when they assure there is nothing to worry about and of course something goes wrong)

2. TERRIBLE drivers, not only do they go slow on the left lane and never move, they do not know and understand driving laws and theory (like stopping INSIDE a roundabout).

3. Dead dogs on the road all the time

4. hard to get some basic foods, lack of ethnic food options

5. no amusement park or water park (for a big city one mediocre one is not enough)

6. Lazy and very bad work ethic- charge a lot for nothing, scam you and run off with your money, take advantage, etc. It's also very hard to do business here

7. EVERYTHING here works in reverse. When it makes no sense anywhere in the world it works here somehow. The more expensive something is, the more people buy it. Idiots.

8. Real estate prices in Puerto Madero/Chateau Libertador, etc. It's Manhattan prices!

1. Inflation and the big lie of INDEC
2. Graffiti and Garbage
3. Flavorless, monotonous food

Graffiti, and owners not taking control and cleaning up or painting over it. Just giving up to it, that's the worst part.

Littering

Dog Shit

Not repairing sidewalks

Okay, it's 4 things, but they are all the same. Not showing pride for your building, street, barrio, city!

All

Thank you most kindly for the responses.
It is really interesting to get honest feedback from people who have spent serious time living in a place - there are many things here for me to watch out for.

I remember price inflation being noticeable even over a few week period earlier this year.
There were certain places I did not feel too safe (San Telmo for instance).

Anyway thanks to all who replied and those who reply in the future - really glad to be able to put my rose tinted glasses back in the draw :)

Dan

Back