Survey - What are the 3 biggest issues you have in BA?

DanM if you need extra information, no problem we can still complain even more than this, there is plenty to brag about the place, in short this city is 'the pits', isn't and will not be like Chicago nor it's New York not even Detroit, that will be a luxury to compare with, not to mention Paris, London or Manchester maybe Bucharest is more appropriate, it's just Buenos Aires, 'the pits' but Buenos Aires with all the dog's shit, their bland food without chili con carne and the rest of it, expensive and annoyingly substandard in every aspect if we compare it to North America or Europe it's nothing like it, less Mexico of course, that's another 'the pits' state. Very sorry to disappointing you but that's the reality, and the reality always is hard to swallow now you can save back your rose tinted glasses for another country and location to start dreaming all over again. Is time now to cheer up and move on, maybe as Lee and partner are doing make a move to Medellin or Bogota one of these cities will be their next stop, and please don't forget to put in your pocket those priceless rose tinted glasses so the illusion will last a little bit longer before reality again sets in, good luck.

Lucas said:
DanM if you need extra information, no problem we can still complain even more than this, there is plenty to brag about the place, in short this city is 'the pits', isn't and will not be like Chicago nor it's New York not even Detroit, that will be a luxury to compare with, not to mention Paris, London or Manchester maybe Bucharest is more appropriate, it's just Buenos Aires, 'the pits' but Buenos Aires with all the dog's shit, their bland food without chili con carne and the rest of it, expensive and annoyingly substandard in every aspect if we compare it to North America or Europe it's nothing like it, less Mexico of course, that's another 'the pits' state. Very sorry to disappointing you but that's the reality, and the reality always is hard to swallow now you can save back your rose tinted glasses for another country and location to start dreaming all over again. Is time now to cheer up and move on, maybe as Lee and partner are doing make a move to Medellin or Bogota one of these cities will be their next stop, and please don't forget to put in your pocket those priceless rose tinted glasses so the illusion will last a little bit longer before reality again sets in, good luck.
Hey Lucas! You finally nailed it.

Lucas

Not sure what your reference to Lee and partner means - maybe you have me mistaken for somebody else.
Either way, BA has a lot going for it compared to some of the global capitals I have lived in.
I guess different strokes for different folks - I hope for your sake you get what you wish.

Lucas said:

Damn - I really must be doing something wrong :) Yes, I've had some bad experiences and yes I have been ripped off once by locals - supposedly ''friends'' - but overall my experiences of the place have been pretty positive and I know some good people here and feel like I am really putting down some roots. Having said that I spend all my time with locals and have definitely lived in worse places than Buenos Aires. Its interesting to me that so many people find the food boring and monotonous because the local food and wine is one of the biggest attractions for me - I love it - and I think the quality is better than any other country I have lived in. Then again, I am not wealthy and am used to living on a bit of a budget and possibly I came here with different expectations. I've met some really fake and rotten people here - but I've met some good ones too. I am wondering if the TIME factor comes into play here - I have only lived here about 10 months or so and next year will be my second year in BA - maybe its only after several years that the ''rose coloured glasses'' come off (?) Anyway, thats my two pesos' worth... :)

PS MAYBE one of the most significant factors here is that my partner is local and I did have an ''in'' in that sense - I was automatically adopted by her network of people - but I've also extended on that network and have a fairly good social life here - maybe that is one of the key things here too...

Locals may criticise expats for not liking it here. But we don't have family, connections, friends, all the things that are the basis of society here. Take those away and try and imagine your life totally isolated, working things out from scratch in a hostile environment. Those expats married to an Argentine manage to make a life for themselves here. For the others, it's so hard that it's hardly worth trying...

I'm starting to think this is the key :) I came here to be with my partner - to start a new life with her - and even though we have our problems here and there life is actually pretty good for us. Like I said, we are not rich and have to live on a budget - but I can imagine it would be a lot more difficult for me if I was alone...

Caz - tis my experience that after only 10 months, the rose coloured glasses are still firmly in place:) Your answers may change a bit after two years or three years or more - esp regarding the food.. jeje

I live here, there are lots of things I enjoy here but there are things that drive me crazy (which is true of every place). I gave my best honest answers.

Now someone go start a thread about three biggest pleasures you have in BA:D

Reactions: Caz
Citygirl.. those threads have been started before.. they did not last very long..something like 10 comments...then they went negative. :p

Back