Switch To International Savings Accounts

jeff1234

Registered
I was just informed that if I'm living outside the US I am no longer eligible to have a US bank account. My broker wants me to switch to an international account
They seem to be very interested in how long I will reside outside the US.
Somehow I feel that if they record me as living here, I can have problems with Argie laws and taxes.
Anyone have experience with this?

jeff. I sure hope someone has an answer. you said your broker, does that mean for stocks? I get international banking transactions but not international accounts. lets wait for the brain trust to respond, good luck.

My broker has a bank that offers banking accounts. So far they haven't mentioned my stock accounts, only the bank account.

I doubt it

Even if you are tourist, you can open a account in US bank, with a international address.

I doubt it

Even if you are tourist, you can open a account in US bank, with a international address.

Most USA banks seem to be adjusting to the banking regulations and this is no longer the case; you may be residing temporarily abroad but you still have to provide a USA Permanent street address and a bank like Chase is likely to close your acct. if they have a reason to suspect that you no longer live there.

My bank (citi) know I live abroad and have for many years and no problems. I do have a perm US address and tel number though.

Most USA banks seem to be adjusting to the banking regulations and this is no longer the case; you may be residing temporarily abroad but you still have to provide a USA Permanent street address and a bank like Chase is likely to close your acct. if they have a reason to suspect that you no longer live there.

wrong Info.

SInce 1979 I have had a checking/savings acct with a Calif bank [background=rgb(248, 248, 248)]affiliated with BNP Paribas. In 2005, I notified them of my BA address. Last August I was contacted to request "my USA address & Tel #". I asked the customer service rep why? Answer..."I don't know why....just doing my job". I gave her my CA info. She proceeded to ask if she could change my CA home address & Tel to be my new primary address. My answer....NO. Her reply....why? My answer...."because I don't want to and if the bank regulations have changed sent me the info via e-mail". Silence on the other end for a couple of seconds.....then she said "thank you and goodbye". Have yet to hear from them again.[/background]

I have had a savings account at Citibank in NYC since 2005 into which my U.S.Social Security is deposited among other transactions including my Mastercard.They are fully aware that I reside in Argentina and as yet have not notified me of any such regulation.I plan to look into it,however.
I also have a U$D account ar Citi here and am waiting to see what will happen with the proposed sale of their retail business in Argentina and Brazil.

A quick search on the internet turned up only one article that spoke to this, as far as I could tell quickly:

https://assetbuilder.com/knowledge-center/articles/american-brokerages-slam-the-door-on-us-expats

It's related to investment accounts, not bank accounts.

But typical of the US government, from the "land of the free".

Back