Switch To International Savings Accounts

Ceviche, I'd like to know where you're banking (or rather, all of these tourists that you know are opening accounts).

My wife couldn't do anything in a bank until she had a Social Security number. Maybe we didn't ask the right questions.

My wife couldn't do anything in a bank until she had a Social Security number. Maybe we didn't ask the right questions.

Congrats that she could ultimately open the account.

I rather not talk about myself and my accounts.

But at least 10 of my extremely well to do Argie neighbors in my building have US bank accounts in NY, Miami and LA.

--

Sometimes some bank executives give you a hard time. So all you got to do is knock on the door of the next bank or next branch or next city. Repeat this process till you find one.

No pain/ No gain.

--

As a bonus to you, I can tell you Schwab has a procedure for opening bank accounts for foreigners with foreign address. The whole process is done via postal mail and only citizens of certain countries are eligible indeed. This includes Argies. Argies dont have to visit USA to open this account. The minimum balance to be maintained is 10k USD at all times.
call International operations at +1-415-667-7870 (from outside the U.S.), or 877-853-1802 (from within the U.S.)

visit www.schwab-global.com

Hope this helps

But at least 10 of my extremely well to do Argie neighbors in my building have US bank accounts in NY, Miami and LA.

That's a horse of another color. The extremely well-to-do generally get what they want, unlike the average tourist.

That's a horse of another color. The extremely well-to-do generally get what they want, unlike the average tourist.

These days banks are aware that its become a fashion to 'plant banking flags' outside your home country..so they do look for well to do clients. Point being rules are same for all but then sometime hurdles are created for people who want to put 100 usd and then maintain that account for next 10 years with that balance. It does not benefit the bank at all. It has to be a win-win for all parties thats how successful businesses run and banking is a business as well.

US banks are extremely low in liquidity and they welcome new accounts from well to do foreigners. And if its a foreigner who earns 800 usd a month - its best he keeps all his money ( 800 usd) in his local bank or under his bed as its required for his monthly expenses.

Ceviche.
Most of us are fairly well versed on how "the well-to-do" do business even if we personally can not be included in that exclusive grouping of yours
My millionaire brother in San Francisco and most of his friends and associates are in that group and sometimes visit B.A.
However,,I have never heard any of them use all that "wanna be" type lingo that you use.
Some kind of complex,perhaps?,.

Some kind of complex,perhaps?,.

we all come from different backgrounds and with different life experiences. And perhaps from one of the 200 countries of the world. I come from Congo and you know how poor people from Congo are.
100 people from 100 different cities and 6 continents, may perceive the same situation in a different way.
i dont think anyone needs to be touchy on the word "well to do".
Someone asked me a question and I replied and I tried to add some humor and sarcasm in it.

So if you think its a complex..yes, v v deep rooted complex, being from Congo. Are we done?

Ceviche, I'd like to know where you're banking (or rather, all of these tourists that you know are opening accounts).

Citi opens to tourists. If you keep a min balance of 1000 usd or 2000 usd it is even free.
Wells Fargo doesn't.
Schwab doesn't.
CapitalOne doesn't.
I can't remember the others, it has been a long time. I made a prospect but it is probably long gone.

Schwab doesn't.

Correct Info with a catch.

You can not walk in as a tourist to open with Schwab.

But people of certain nationalities can conplete their application form and send it via postal mail with the complete list of required docs as per their check list. Only people from certain countries can do it. Argies can. Then Schwab takes a call and approves or disapproves it.

Back