Taking Money out of Country

sergio said:
My question was NOT about wire transfers. I asked if the $10,000 cash rule had not been rescinded. http://www.ieco.clarin.com/economia/Dolares-exterior-controles-reglas-claras_0_709729063.html
As I alluded to in my post above, I had heard that anything above the us$10,000 physically leaving the country on your person, must be in in Argentine Pesos, also I would expect that there is a permanent AFIP presence at the airport, and if you declare a large amount of money as you exit, you will have to show the source of the funds.

Probably why the keep busting people trying to smuggle out money, just the other day I read about a person described as "Chinese" who was caught with €330,000 hidden in "Yerba Mate" packets at Ezeiza.

Wiring the funds is the safest and cheapest way. 1.5 - 2% is the normal fee.

TrevorCito said:
Wiring the funds is the safest and cheapest way. 1.5 - 2% is the normal fee.
In the past the fee had been around that, now days from what i hear it is 5-7% to wire out, and free to come in, as there is a significant imbalance in the flow.

If you have a place that charges 1.5 - 2% to wire out (today, not 6 months ago), please do send me a PM with their details. I don't know anyone who wires out for less than 5%. And to get 5% you have to send a LOT.

Segio! That article informs about the rules that apply for locals to buy dollars but, in my opinion, has nothing to do with the limit you are allowed to leave the country. There is a discussion it seems about how much money locals are allowed to change depending on where they are travelling.

el_expatriado said:
If you have a place that charges 1.5 - 2% to wire out (today, not 6 months ago), please do send me a PM with their details. I don't know anyone who wires out for less than 5%. And to get 5% you have to send a LOT.

Didn't that banks here restricted to transfer money to account abroad as well?

scaccomatto said:
Didn't that banks here restricted to transfer money to account abroad as well?

No, the government restricted the transfer abroad. That's why people who can still do it are charging 5%+ to do it.

el_expatriado said:
No, the government restricted the transfer abroad. That's why people who can still do it are charging 5%+ to do it.

This is exactly correct. Most of the bigger ones are charging 6% as of last week. And the scary thing is locals are taking them up on that! Imagine paying 6% to just get your funds out of the country.

There are NO places only charging 1.5% to 2% as the other OP mentioned. Not for a while has it been that low.

There is no such limit on the amount of cash you can take with you. But, if you are taking more than USD10.000,- per head, you must declare it and present proof of its origin.

Back