Taxi increase again

syngirl

Registered
Oh, remember the days of the 1.10 on the meter when you first got in a cab? In fact I think when I first arrived it was even less than a peso. Today they announced yet another increase -- looks like it's going to be $4,45 to start...

Again, always amazing that the government says we've only got 11% inflation, that "real" numbers sit at 25% or so, and yet things like cabs can increase 400% in just a few years! And the price of NAFTA is controlled!!

I found a great way to get back at the cab drivers... but you need to have a 100 peso bill. when you get where you are going, tell the driver you have a 100 or 4-5 pesos less than the posted fair. more often than not they don't want to break 100.

And no, I don't feel bad considering how many gringo tours I've been given.

Be aware that some cabs are VERY eager to change your 100 pesos bill, trying to get you conterfeit bills. That s not a very clever game to play.

fifilafiloche said:
Be aware that some cabs are VERY eager to change your 100 pesos bill, trying to get you conterfeit bills. That s not a very clever game to play.

This is SO true!

And watch out for the switch to a torn bill (done out of sight in the front seat ). The driver may be giving you back a counterfeit bill, expecting you to give him another, thereby paying double.

fifilafiloche said:

This is SO true!

And watch out for the switch to a torn bill (done out of sight in the front seat ). The driver may be giving you a counterfeit bill, expecting you to give him another, thereby paying double.

fifilafiloche said:

I have yet to see any cab eager to break a 100. done it about 8 times, only 1 guy broke it. And I have enough common sense to check and count my bills before I exit the car.

So yes, it's a fun game, but only if you are smart enough to play.

Correct way to get change- sit like a hawk with your head over the driver's shoulder.
Incorrect way- sit in the back seat chatting away with your friend.

arty said:
And no, I don't feel bad considering how many gringo tours I've been given.

Yeah, sometimes I mug people when I'm short on cash. I figure I've been mugged often enough to justify mugging others.

Price increases are never much fun, but at the same time, Taxis are still pitifully cheap given how much petrol, car maintenance and cars themselves cost.

Plus the cost of a cab hasn't increased by 400%. Unless everyone is only taking journeys which cost the minimum fare. A taxi ride from one side of the city to the other has gone up by a little over 3 pesos in the last four years. The taxi meter isn't running four times faster.

jp said:
Yeah, sometimes I mug people when I'm short on cash. I figure I've been mugged often enough to justify mugging others.

Main Entry: mug
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): mugged; mug·ging
Etymology: probably from earlier mug to strike in the face, perhaps from 1mug
Date: circa 1864
1 : to assault usually with intent to rob
2 : to attack suddenly

I would call it scamming, not mugging. Please get your wording correct if you want to insult me.

Thanks for playing!

It wasn't an insult.

But if you're got any more great tips on how to "scam" people earning next to nothing in a developing country, do please share.

jp said:
It wasn't an insult.

But if you're got any more great tips on how to "scam" people earning next to nothing in a developing country, do please share.

That's the only thing I do. The cab drivers here are almost as crooked at the ones in Prague. Maybe if the cabbys weren't so crooked I wouldn't do it. I only do it when I get gringo tours, I should of perhaps stated that before. When I take a taxi an don't get ripped off I pay as close to the exact fare as possible. When the guys circle the block or pass my street by a few blocks and claim ignorance, I'm not going to pay for it. Feel free to help out those crooks all you want. It's not like I play change scam at stores, which would probable be pretty easy seeing the lack of basic intelligence here.

Back