Teatro Colon: only $2,600 a seat!

I booked the ticket of the new year concert on Dec 23, 2011, but it got cancelled because city gives 2 extra days off around christmas.
So immediately i booked another 2 tickets to the ballet 'El Corsario'. Last 2 seats at 2nd floor and it turned out to be great.

I paid only 100 for the concert and 200 c/u for the ballet. An overall very nice experience. You can pay online after registering an account. And show up in person with your order number, your passport/DNI, and your Credit card to pick up. They speak english at the box office!!!

PeterFin said:
How do I get tickets from Europe for this Colon - Ring in November 2012? I tried this year Sept to get for Lohengrin, but the box office did not answer my requests at all neither did aI get tickets - probably because I wrote in English. Unfortunately I cannot speak Spanish.

You can search for the schedule and buy tickets at :
https://www.tuentrada.com/colon/Online/
Be aware that when you choose the seat, there are 2 'tabs' in the webpage, one let's you see the map, another let's you actually choose the seats.
But the schedule for 2012 is not yet updated yet in the purchaseing site as above. But you can get a idea by looking at:
http://www.teatrocolon.org.ar/es/files/pdf/guia_anual_2012_es.pdf

You need to show up in person to pick up the tickets, with your passport, credit card(used in the purchasing) and your order numbers(mailed to your email) to get the tickets: between the day of purchase and 1 hour before the performance

To buy tickets for next season you have to wait until they are available on line. That will be some time from now. Keep checking. The box office will not answer emails. Few businesses in Argentina answer emails, even ones written in Spanish.

Yes, Lee, I am afraid this is true. I have even sent letters by certified mail without getting a response. I find this a characteristic of underdeveloped countries, not just Argentina. Argentines put up with a lot. They are not accustomed to complaining, or even making constructive criticism, and getting any feedback. I suppose it is partly the result of decade after decade of military dictatorship and authoritarianism. The former has disappeared but the latter lingers.

Hi Chris,
these are not extravagant prices for theatres .. thoraces for La Scala di Milano, are almost twice that.

it's theatre!!!! It's not for everyone!

chris said:
Hurry up and order your ticket to the Colon's mini (7 hours vs the full 15-16 hours) version of Wagner's Ring next season. Only $2,600 (pesos) for a Platea seat. If that is a bit too much, you can always STAND (I said STAND, not sit) way up at the top for a modest $520 pesos.

If you have a subscription (abono) for the "Temporada Lyrica" you only pay $8,750 (pesos) for seven performances (the Ring is NOT included), two of which are not staged but done in concert version. I believe that works out to about $300 USD per performance at the official exchange rate. Check it out: http://www.teatrocolon.org.ar/es/files/pdf/abono_colon_2012.pdf

Hey, maybe they have cheaper tickets at the Mercado Central!

Enjoy!

Galatina said:
Hi Chris,
these are not extravagant prices for theatres .. thoraces for La Scala di Milano, are almost twice that.

it's theatre!!!! It's not for everyone!

ROH, Covent Garden, this month: £172 Orchestra Stalls for an opera. That's the ROYAL OPERA HOUSE! How can BA be more expensive! It's crazy!

Ticket prices for opera performances at Teatro Colon are exceedingly high when compared to either La Scala or the Royal Opera House Covent Garden, for Colon does not need to pay the hefty performance fees demanded by the opera superstars who perform in Milan and London on a regular basis. Just as at the Metropolitan Opera in New York, the Opera Bastille in Paris and the Wiener Staatsoper in Vienna, ticket prices for opera performances at the world’s major opera houses are averaged according to a season's budget, and performance fees count for a large part of these costs.
The glory days of Teatro Colon, when the world's great opera singers came by the dozens to perform in its acoustically perfect hall, no longer exists. Not one of today's opera superstars has yet to perform in a staged opera at the Colon since it reopened nearly two years ago. As an opera devotee (and a one-time subscriber to both the Met and City Opera in NY for nearly 30 years), I no longer permit myself to pay the Colon's inflated opera prices in order to see what are essentially second tier (and, frequently, second-rate) performers. I do not mean this as a slight to all of the singers who do appear at the Colon, but from what I've seen in the past two years, the overall quality leaves a lot to be desired, especially at such unjustified prices.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Expat Life 0
S Culture 0
B Expat Life 7
M Expat Life 6
Jose Negro Expat Life 0
Back