Teeth Cleaning? Common Here?

I had OSDE 310 but she walys tried to help us escape extra costs in any way she could

She asked me 5 times :

"you do not have insurance! What? you do not have insurance! Unbeilievable, you live here and you do not have insurance! You are kidding right? You do not have insurance? Are you serious? You do not have insurance?"

she seemed to be obsessed with insurance and then she redirected me to the con artist in Belgrano.

My only cleaning here in BA was 15 minutes in-and-out. I paid $100AR. Afterwards, I looked around her office and said, "Where's your autoclave?"

She replied, "Where's my what?"

I could use a good referral dentist.

I think teeth cleaning by a dentist is not common in Argentina. I live in Bariloche and have gone to the two best dentists in town, based on many recommendations, and one said I didn't need cleaning, which was a joke, and the other stuck a pick in my mouth for about 30 seconds and then started polishing. On both occasions I had gone six months without cleaning, and in the US I know any dentist would have done a thourough job taking more than half an hour.
However I once walked into a dental office in BA, got an appointment for the next day, and they did a very thourough job for a reasonable price. That was a chain of dental care offices but I don't remember the name.
I get the idea, from talking to Argentine friends, that very few people here understand the need for professional cleaning. They only go to the dentist when they're in pain. If a dentist tried to explain to them about cleaning they would probably think it's a scam. They all think toothbrushing is enough. So it's a public education problem. I'm sure there are some well-educated dentists here that know what is required, but they will probably be foreign educated or have foreign clients, hence they won't be cheap.

I've been to five dentists in the capital during my 14 years here. The first one came by recommendation from a friend. He was excellent, but moved to Spain. He cleaned my teeth by ultrasound and I was in pain for three days. I told him to do it the old fashioned way next time.

I tried three dentists in OSDE and was not satisfied. Their idea of cleaning is different than in the USA where I had it done every six months. I knew the hygienist better than the dentist because she spent more time cleaning that he did checking.

I finally found a dentist in 2008, with whom I will stay until he decides to retire and turn his practice over to his son. When I have an appointment with other doctors in OSDE, the payment is processed for the consultation before I see the doctor. When I see the dentist, he checks my teeth and doesn't get paid by OSDE unless there is something to do. I insisted that he have me sign the card for the consulation. Other doctors get paid, so it seems right that he does, too. He did his job.

I go every six months without any reminder from the dentist. In the USA, the appt was made before I left the office. I asked the dentist about cleaning. He does only what is necessary and said that excessive cleaning wears away the enamel. He is the professional and knows what he is doing. This makes me wonder about the American Dental Association recommendation. Are we brainwashed?

If anybody needs a good dentist in Balvanera (Entre Rios/Independencia), I know one.

What is the appropriate price for paying for simple but thorough dental cleaning.

I had approached the infamous Dr bettina. And she referred me to some dentist in belgrano, who does not speak a single word of English. Afterall , we chose people like Dr bettina because they speak English. That dentist took 4 sessions to clean my teeth and each session, she charged me 300 pesos. I knew I was being conned but since I had already committed, I did not stop it midway.

I was disappointed with dr bettina. She carried very good reviews here but it seems she was hands in glove with this other dentist, who made it a point to overcharge me and spread my cleaning for 4 sessions. I can not imagine my teeth were so dirty that they needed 4 sessions. Each session was probably 20 minutes and no more. Dr Bettina has lot of admirers here. But for me , she was 100% con artist.

So can anyone suggest me a HONEST dentist who would do a thorough cleaning of my teeth in ONE session and not charge me more than 200 or 250 pesos.

Thanks
Ceviche, Bettina was the dentist for me & my husband for over 7 years in Bsas - not once did I go to Belgrano for teeth cleaning as the hygenist was in the room opposite and did the cleaning there. Bettina to me represents the best of Argentinean professionals. She has a fabulous personality and overruns all appts by chatting too much about life and fun. I had OSDE 310 but she walys tried to help us escape extra costs in any way she could be changing treatment descriptions. I'm sorry your experience was different. To me she was and is a sweeheart unless she has had a complete personality transplant!
She asked me 5 times :

"you do not have insurance! What? you do not have insurance! Unbeilievable, you live here and you do not have insurance! You are kidding right? You do not have insurance? Are you serious? You do not have insurance?"

she seemed to be obsessed with insurance and then she redirected me to the con artist in Belgrano.

1) I always recommend Bettina, because I've had nothing but amazing service from her. My flatmate now uses her and an ex-girlfriend (American) who was living here in 2011/12 went to here as well and was very pleased. I've even had conversations in the waiting room with other expats who also thought that she was an excellent dentist.

2) I don't have dental insurance. My ex didn't have dental insurance. And I'm not sure about my flatmate. It's never been an issue. We just pay whatever the cost... which is much less than the cost in the US. And it's probably less than the cost of insurance + deductible here, but I don't know, because I've never had dental insurance here.

3) Bettina's always been the person who's cleaned my teeth. There's an assistant who hands her the things that she needs when she's working on me, but unlike in the States - where the dental hygienist did EVERYTHING and the dentist would stop by and poke at a couple of things - Bettina (and even one dentist I went to before her) does the cleanings herself.

4) I can't say that what Ceviche experienced didn't happen, because I have no idea. I would think that something did, or s/he wouldn't be so adamant about it. It's like my love of Brunch or Merienda at Malvón. I have a very good friend who had a really bad experience there one time and won't go back, but I always have had a good time there, great food, very good service, and enjoyed the onda. I recommend it to everyone and have always heard rave reviews back. But that friend will still never go there again.

So that's where I still stand. I think Bettina is an excellent dentist. Fifs2 seems to as well. Ceviche has had a bad experience and doesn't agree. That's about all there is to say.

I have been to Bettina twice, think she is awesome. Such a nice, down to earth and funny lady. My gf came along the second time as well and loved her as well. I think she does a really good clean, honestly couldnt complain. Didnt cost a thing with OSDE 310.
She studied in the states and is an ex LA Colgate rep so is well credentialed.

Also went earlier this week to Mariela, orthodontist that works with her and found that she knows what shes talking about and is really lovely (although doesnt speak english).

I think Ceviche probably had a bad experience and for that I am sorry. But I still wouldnt hesitate in recommending Bettina to expats.

Guys, to set records straight, Bettina was NEVER rude to me. She was politeness personified. She did not shout at me or did any bad treatment on me. My grudge is that she directed me to another dentist. A dentist who did not speak a word of English and who seemed extremely corrupt to me. And also, I could not help notice Bettina's extreme dismay on me not signed up to some insurance!

Does anyone have contact info for Dr Bettina or the Drs Pelcman and do you know if they accept patients without insurance? Also will the dentists here give you and estimate on costs before you commit to services?

Drs Pelcman Santa Fe 3444 10A 4821 3734 / 9070. Nether of us have insurance here, we have been Drs P's patients for 6 years, and yes we talk about the cost before having work done, there have not been any surprises (yet!), except occasionally he does not charge us for things like ex rays or cleaning.
Nancy

Does anyone have contact info for Dr Bettina do you know if she accept patients without insurance? Also will the dentists here give you and estimate on costs before you commit to services?

Dr Bettina gets very very exited if you do not have insurance. And then she tries to avoid you, if she can. And then sets you up with one of the junior non-English speaking dentists in the city, who would charge you 300 pesos for 20 minutes of teeth cleaning and ensure you do at least 4-5 cleaning sessions! Go figure.

Back