Temporary Residency Expire. Do I Need To Leave?

fcoulombe

Registered
So I'm currently sitting in the bus heading for Mendoza with plan to cross the border to chile since my 2 years temporary residency expires on August 22nd and I don't want to get on the bad side of Argentina.

But it suddenly occurred to me. Do I actually need to leave the country? I'm planning to re-enter in a few weeks under a tourist visa just so that it's clear with everyone "what I'm here for" (despite a 2 years housing contract, a dog, a girlfriend that I live with, a bank account, a motorcycle and some very uncertain plans about the future)

Anyone knows what the law says about expiring residency?

Even if you leave and reenter with a tourist visa, what were you planning to do when it expires? Repeating that process will not keep you on the "good side" of Argentina.

The law says that, as a foreigner in Argentina, you must have a valid visa granting residencia transitoria, temporaria, or permanente.

Overstaying temporary residency is really no different then overstating a tourist visa. Your status would be "irregular" in either case and you would have the option to pay the overstay fee either before you leave or before you return to Argentina

Nonetheless, since you have already lived in Argentina for two years and have a DNI, if you can show that you have an "honest" way of making a living (certified by an accountant), you should be able to get citizenship.

If you let your temporary residency expire you will not be able to count the two years you have already lived here toward getting permanent residency (which can be granted on the third renewal of a temporary resident visa).

PS: There is a great deal of information about citizenship in this forum and having a valid tourist visa isn't necessary if and when you apply for citizenship. Leaving and reentering now would be a waste of time and money and it could hurt more than it could help.

I don't think citizenship is what I want.
I have a honest way of making a living... Through my computer, on a bank account somewhere else...
My understanding is that if I want to "legalize" that business here, I would need to bring that money inside the argentine banking system. (A few dollars sure... Definitely not all of it)

Also this work might not be a permanent thing. I might be back working for an argentine company within a year. I figured I would just "get out of the system" for a while to make a bit of money and then come back.

But then again... Unless the peso keeps on dropping hard, I have enough pesos from indemnization to survive until June... So I can justify the money that I'm using until then...

You guys seem to be saying that even if my residency expires tomorrow, if I do the right tramite, I can potentially renew my residency for a third year?

You can renew your residency a couple times.
Unless the law has changed, I think you can renew your temp residency twice and then you're eligible for permanent residency. At that point you will have to show your income in order to be granted permanent residency.

I need a precontract to renew. That's my understanding and that's what I don't have (a local job)

I have a honest way of making a living... Through my computer, on a bank account somewhere else...
My understanding is that if I want to "legalize" that business here, I would need to bring that money inside the argentine banking system. (A few dollars sure... Definitely not all of it)

What you could do is register a "Monotributo" with the AFIP. And then send yourself money you receive "somewhere else" via xoom or ria. That way you would get a way better exchange rate than doing it the official way via the banking system. With the monotributo the requirements for declaring the income and paying taxes etc. are simplified. You just pay a flat fee based on your income category (https://www.afip.gob.ar/monotributo/categorias.asp).

But then the question comes: can I be a monotributisto if I'm not permanent resident?

All the information that I could find seem to be saying that I need to create a corporation and then employ myself.

I'm all for being legal and everything but I can't spend shit loads of time/money just to be a freelancer.

But then the question comes: can I be a monotributisto if I'm not permanent resident?

All the information that I could find seem to be saying that I need to create a corporation and then employ myself.

I'm all for being legal and everything but I can't spend shit loads of time/money just to be a freelancer.

My post was in response to "legalize" the business here. And also to make it easier to show the "honest" way of living (by just showing your AFIP inscription and you last monotributo payments).

Unfortunately I have no experience with getting a temporary residence with a (small) business. But just as an idea: You mention you have a girl friend. She could maybe register the monotributo (which is a lot easier/cheaper than incorporating) and then hire you.

Back