That's Some Mighty Fine Police Work.

law-order-police_brutality-brutal-protests-protesting-riots-mban448_low.jpg

Speaking of mighty fine police work...

Last week I was standing in line at the gas station (to fill up a gas can) and there is a police officer standing next to the pumps impressively managing to simultaneously "custodiar" the station while maintaining a nonstop avian bombardment on the evil green pigs' fortress.

Whilst I inch towards the front of the line, at the speed of Argentine efficiency, there is a rather perturbed looking man crisscrossing the station shaking his hands and muttering to himself. Everybody is looking at him somewhat nervously; the woman in the car behind me audibly locks her doors when he passes by for the first time. I don't think the cop has noticed yet, or if he has, he has already evaluated the threat as being somewhat less than that posed by the digital swine. Eventually the man walks straight up to the officer and begins talking at a million miles per minute. The cop does not even look up for a second as the man lets loose his chaotic monologue,

"Donde es... sabe si pasan... para para....mirá trabajo aca en la obra, deje el auto en la ahi a la tarde sabes si...O sea lo deje mal estacionado, lo llevaro- Donde lo habrian llevado? Pasó la grua?....No imagine que...no se... como hago?...Pará! pará! esta es Congreso? Ahhhh lo dejé en Pedraza! Perdón"

And without waiting for a response or even an acknowledgement of his existence, he was off at a jog. At which point el uniformado looks up from his phone at the me and the attendant and in a complete deadpan says, "Vieron como resoví ese caso?".

I had no words.

This is like a metaphor for the whole of argentina and the argentine way of doing things
  1. disrespect for the authorities (driver trying to edge past policemen who are trying to stop the traffic)
  2. abuse of power by the authorities (policeman trying to show the driver a lesson by jumping onto the front of his car)
  3. unforeseen consequences (policeman bounces off the car, breaks windshield and hurts and humiliates himself on the road)
  4. sabre rattling, threats and brinkmanship (other policeman banging on car window shouting at the driver who refuses to come out)
  5. force and further abuse of power, everyone losing credibility and respect for each other (throwing the driver to the ground who still tries to resist arrest, everyone shouting, heavy handed use of force)
  6. lots of time and money wasted and further frustration and third parties being disrupted through no fault of their own (whole road is then blocked until the police have regularized the unnecessary incident that should never have happened in the first place)
  7. everything recorded and shown further propagating the first six points.
People say its the politicians that have ruined the country (and they've certainly had a share in it) but these points seem to be played out in different contexts on different levels every day throughout the whole country.

Wasn't it arrogance on the part of the police to be crossing a major highway at other than an intersection in the first place? It certainly did not look like an emergency situation. They could have crossed at an intersection with the lights like everyone else. Or at least have crossed at an intersection.

Bob

Looks like the driver at first didn't want to stop (looked like he was going to try to get by in front of the cop) and was going to go, which pissed off or otherwise affected the cop, who "taught him a lesson" by taking a dive.

What blows me away is how he does all this in front of a plethora of cameras.

Looks like he was emulating the intelligence of soccer players.

Wasn't it arrogance on the part of the police to be crossing a major highway at other than an intersection in the first place? It certainly did not look like an emergency situation. They could have crossed at an intersection with the lights like everyone else. Or at least have crossed at an intersection.

Bob
Bob , it is the Panamericana highway. There are no lights or crosswalks.

I wonder what the police were even doing there in the first place.

Back