That's Some Mighty Fine Police Work.

Donnelly and Lear.
The cops/gns own the road when they're on it, but that cop literally jumped on that car looking for trouble.
Quod errat demonstrandum.

A cop arresting a protester - doing his job.
Jumping on his car and breaking his window and pretending to be knocked to the ground - not
One lesson we can apply to all these cop videos - they usually start when the cop reacts to something but seldom show the provocation.
Question - how can you tell when an Argie driver is driving like an idiot as a protest?

I agree , not the brightest bulb on the porch. But the cops knew he was one of the cars driving very slow. They had either a report , tag number or video. The way these protesters operate is , 6 cars line up across 6 lanes of traffic and slow down to 10 km per hour. Slowing and or stoping the whole Panamericana. The cops know who they are. They have been doing this for days. Not the most effective way to stop the guy. I would suggest stop strips to flatten the tires before jumping on a car.

I agree , not the brightest bulb on the porch. But the cops knew he was one of the cars driving very slow. They had either a report , tag number or video. The way these protesters operate is , 6 cars line up across 6 lanes of traffic and slow down to 10 km per hour. Slowing and or stoping the whole Panamericana. The cops know who they are. They have been doing this for days. Not the most effective way to stop the guy. I would suggest stop strips to flatten the tires before jumping on a car.
i don´t think spike strips exist here. and the legal side of its use is unkown to me. the legal framework for police to operate correctly is missing they probably can´t even arrest the driver without the jumping act you saw. also when things go wrong they don´t receive support from the media or the goverment or society.

And yet farmers are allowed to block the highways and try to boycott an entire city. Protestors here can block roads, intersections and bring parts of a city to a standstill. People can get out their drums and their flags and set up in movie theaters to keep people from entertaining themselves. All while the cops sit and watch to make sure no one attacks.

It's the reality of Argentine life, I don't like it, but what makes what these people, whom we are discussing,were doing different from the rest? I honestly would like to know to understand. I mean, in 2009 (if i recall correctly, or was it 2008?) when the farmers shut down the highways while produce and dairy and meat products rotted and stores actually started having less on the shelves for awhile. And the landowners set fire to the fields and filled the city with smoke so bad you couldn't see far in front of you (I have pictures! Somewhere...just don't remember where they are...).

Where was the gendarmeria then? And the PFA? They were all watching to make sure no one got hurt but they sure weren't trying to stop things.

Do you have to apply for a permit to blockade and smoke out a city?

Is there really no other way to deal with these drivers other than by doing something that looks as stupid as it is in reality? Can't they have taken down the plates of the offenders and harassed them in some legal manner? Impound their cars maybe? Hell, they were impounding cars in the city for running red lights and driving in bus/taxi lanes a year ago!

If provincial law is somehow inferior to city law in this regard, seems to me that some pressure needs to be placed by someone in power to get some laws passed in the province. Cristina sure manages to do it often enough for her crap. Instead, you have a bunch of goons pulling an idiotic stunt.

And the landowners set fire to the fields and filled the city with smoke so bad you couldn't see far in front of you (I have pictures! Somewhere...just don't remember where they are...).

That was one of the strangest things I have ever seen.

This BBC report says the incident took place in July, which got me scratching my head :ph34r:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-29089857

In an article on la nacion's website dated Friday:

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1724331-gendarme-carancho-el-video-que-muestra-la-peor-cara-de-la-fuerza-de-seguridad

Then yesterday:

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1725107-echaron-al-militar-de-civil-que-estaba-en-la-protesta-en-la-que-un-gendarme-se-arrojo-sobre-un-auto

Seems that it all became popular again when someone identified the "gray-bearded" older man in the video that approaches the "offending" vehicle with the idiot that jumped on the car (who, BTW, is "el comandante de Gendarmería Juan Alberto López Torale") and the window-beater idiot. You see the "gray-bearded" man in the video running up from the left (the camera seems to swing over to catch him) to join the gendarmería as they approach the target car.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that the driver had been singled out and it appears that they were right. The "gray-brearded" man is Colonel Roberto Angel Galeano of the "arma de Caballería" (not sure exactly how that translates to English in military terms) (Retired), a commando of 55 years. He was in the Falklands with Mohamed Ali Seineldín. He was intelligence chief of the Army Corps of Córdoba, and Major General of the Army Directorate of Intelligence - Counterintelligence.

Sorry if I am repeating something that has already been posted, but I've been busy and didn't go back to reread thread.

Apparently Galeano was working as a civilian contractor (not sure if I got that right) for the Ministry of Security and was fired on Friday (as far as I can tell, a day after his identity was realized) for his behavior.

According to the article, he had infiltrated the protestors and had a list of people who the gendarmería needed to target.

I have to wonder why there has been no mention of Torale's and the other gendarmería actions in all of this. Maybe more to come.

That's the most interesting comment in this thread so far Queso.
We must remember that KFC consider anyone that moves against the tide or goes bankrupt to be a terrorist or subversive and this greatly reminds me of Thatcher's war with the miners, only to a lesser degree of course.

Back