The Best Cycle Routes?

jontyjago

Registered
So, I've finally got round to getting a bike and would like to hear your recommendations for mostly traffic-free loops from the Recoleta area.

I live near Santa Fe & Pueyrredon and would like to just head out for an hour or two with no particular destination in mind. I know I will have to do some avenues and streets but the fewer the better. I've already ridden up to the Bosques and done a few loops around the lake and back home but what other bike-friendly paths are there out there that I need to discover?

Hey! Check out the crowdsourced map on the main page of http://lavidaenbici.com/. It's color-coded and indicates streets with official bike lanes, streets that are just better routes, and streets to avoid. It also shows you where there are bike shops in case you need something, and local businesses that will give you a discount if you arrive en bici!

Hope that helps!

I was using the official the bike lane map from the official city government website (http://mejorenbici.buenosaires.gob.ar/red-de-ciclovias-protegidas/) but the one that Sara shared in Post #2 above is great! (if not a little info intense!)

THANKS!

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]That's one problem with crowd-sourced stuff[/background]

Of course you know what the advantage of crowd-sourced stuff is? Instead of simply making a comment on how "plain wrong" it is, you can actually correct it for others.

Thank you to both Sara and Lucha - both links help a lot!

What is your problem?

If you are a cyclist wanting information about reliable routes in the City don't rely on this "crowd sourced" map - it is both plain wrong in what it says in some instances and also doesn't show even the "official routes" accurately.

That is if you are a cyclist and not a sycophant.

I do spend time trying to correct "crowd sourced" maps. There are several similar for Buenos Aires but I cannot correct them all. One route showed a link across the entrance to the "new" docks which I pointed out was wrong but is still shown. Have you ever entered information?

Use the Buenos Aires Government Map - there is the latest on the Government Website and also on the interactive map as well. You can also pick up a hard copy version at the BsAs Gob Information points when they are in stock

What is your problem?

If you are a cyclist wanting information about reliable routes in the City don't rely on this "crowd sourced" map - it is both plain wrong in what it says in some instances and also doesn't show even the "official routes" accurately.

That is if you are a cyclist and not a sycophant.

I do spend time trying to correct "crowd sourced" maps. There are several similar for Buenos Aires but I cannot correct them all. One route showed a link across the entrance to the "new" docks which I pointed out was wrong but is still shown. Have you ever entered information?

Use the Buenos Aires Government Map - there is the latest on the Government Website and also on the interactive map as well. You can also pick up a hard copy version at the BsAs Gob Information points when they are in stock

The LVB map is useful for the things that aren't on the government map -- a good supplement. As any map, it's a reference, and not a set of instructions. :) It was put together by a group of experienced local cyclists, and I've always found it pretty reliable! But thanks for the... constructive criticism.

There are some very pleasant cycle routes once you get into Vicente Lopez (Paseo de la Costa) all the way up to Tigre on a riverside road that runs parallel with Libertador.
It more or less follows the Tren de la Costa line. Plenty of traffic on weekends but almost deserted during the week.
I can highly recommend it.

It is not finished yet but I suspect that the Costanera Norte will be nice for cycling in a couple of months after the improvement work.

I would stay on the routes with the concrete divider protected paths. Otherwise you're just one driver's text message away from road kill.

Back