The Best Reason Now To Be An Expat In Argentina...

Any Argentine Citizen (or any tourist who is a citizen of any other country) can walk into a public hospital and get health care.

Technically, what you said is true- the Argentine government does not, actually, provide health care to all its citizens, because some choose to pay for private health care. But it would, under the law.
Precisely.

It seems as if steveinbsas (who is no longer in BsAs, but still living in a country, which provides medical care to those who are in need and do not select another option) is trying to duck reality - and own inconsistency - on a linguistic technicality.

If the Argentine medical staff doesn't grab somebody in the supermarket queue and forcibly treat them for some/any decease, then the Argentine government does not provide free health care to all of it's citizens. In that case, of course, no government in the world provides free health care to all of it's citizens.

Precisely.

It seems as if steveinbsas (who is no longer in BsAs, but still living in a country, which provides medical care to those who are in need and do not select another option) is trying to duck reality - and own inconsistency - on a linguistic technicality.

If the Argentine medical staff doesn't grab somebody in the supermarket queue and forcibly treat them for some/any decease, then the Argentine government does not provide free health care to all of it's citizens. In that case, of course, no government in the world provides free health care to all of it's citizens.

Steve and the GOP agree on the libertarian solution: http://tinyurl.com/lyp9yxb

Well, it disqualifies teabaggers. There are a still a handful of rational Republicans, and most all the Democrats look for solutions rather than shutdowns. Texas, at least, does have great music.

Bajo ...I did not say one system was any better than the other. In fact there are times that I think the jury was insane. But then I also know that it's very easy to buy a judge here in AR. Maybe all systems suck and it's time for a new paradigm.

It is not that simple to buy a judge. And you can always appeal or get another judge.

Silly John St, dont you know the US Military has very strict rules of engagement? Just ask the citizens of Fallujah, My Lai, al-Majalah, Cambodia, Laos, South Vietnam, Panama.... Or what's left of them.
Yes, the US armed forces - like all other armed forces in the world - make mistakes, commit atrocities, etc.

Usually the mistakes are exactly that, misjudging a target or hitting the wrong target, while carefully following ROE (Rules of Engagement) designed to limit civilian loss.

Atrocities, on the other hand, are normally not in accordance with ROE, although Cambodia and Laos were ordered by the politicians and thus in principle covered by ROE.

My Lai was a first rate stinker, a limited, but disgusting atrocity, which we discussed a couple of weeks ago on this board. Most - including the MIL side - agreed that the culprits (including at least coronels) should have been severely punished.

A small US force (one company of "greenhorns", which had suffered 28 casualties with 5 dead and 23 severe injuries within a couple of months) butchered innocent civilians in a populated area, where - according to ROE - US forces were allowed to use air strikes, artillery and mortars in areas. Worst of all, in my opinion, was the attempt to cover-up, because that inhibited changes in ROE, which might have saved civilians elsewhere.

(Then major) Colin Powell was to investigate several claims of atrocities (not just My Lai), and helped cover-up when he wrote that relations between 23rd Division soldiers and the Vietnamese were excellent. A fat lie. The civilians' fear of attacks was massive.

My Lai, however, took place in 1968, more than 45 years ago. A lot has changed since that, although there are every now and then new stinkers and new cover-ups - the top brass don't understand that they are constructing a mountain of mistrust.

Have it ever ocurred to you, that some of those who write of (e.g. US armed forces') atrocities, may have their own agendas?

That they sometimes/often "forget" to tell what is the root cause?

Have you ever considered the possibility that some of those who claim their family members were killed by armed forces may have their own agendas?

Have you ever considered that a quickly buried and absolutely not to be exhumed family member, who died of pneumonia or old age - or never existed in the first place - is as valuable in cash payment for damages as a years hard work.

In wars people get killed.

In wars people get killed.

Yes, unfortunately sometimes the wrong people get killed - either civilians or friendly troops. In my entire military career I only met a couple of people who I thought were possible murderers, that they could / would do something outside of ROE. The public really has no idea how many checks and cross-checks we have established to prevent civilians from being killed. This often greatly increases the time needed to engage the enemy all the while we are hanging our asses out on scene waiting for the "go" to release. The surprise element is crucial in winning a combat engagement and this is mitigated, or lost, with current ROE.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged . One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." ― John Rogers

:lol:

Yes, unfortunately sometimes the wrong people get killed - either civilians or friendly troops. In my entire military career I only met a couple of people who I thought were possible murderers, that they could / would do something outside of ROE. The public really has no idea how many checks and cross-checks we have established to prevent civilians from being killed. This often greatly increases the time needed to engage the enemy all the while we are hanging our asses out on scene waiting for the "go" to release. The surprise element is crucial in winning a combat engagement and this is mitigated, or lost, with current ROE.

may I ask you something? since people (I dont care if its the enemy or whoever, people) get killed in wars, if you watch such a degrading show, with the lower instincts a human being can see, if you destroy families forever, and even civilizations, if you make those very important changes in human lives, why do you want to participate in such degrading work? why do you want to be a part of it? you re not obligated, arent you? dont you ever feel guilty? they are just human beings, the category of 'enemy' is defined politically, you re just fighting for the rich people to become richer, to the politicians to rule the world. Killing some vietnamese, or pakistani, or whatever is an abuse of power IMO and the US have been doing this the entire century.

Im really just curious, if you really think that defending the US you are doing well. Im talking to you and John St.

Regards

Back