The Best Reason Now To Be An Expat In Argentina...

Which one of Ayn Rand's books did you read? Do you remember any of the the "viewpoints" with which you disagreed?

PS: She never wrote anything to impress anyone.

I believe if I'm not mistaken, I read the Fountainhead along with some accompanying lectures. I think the idea that the rich are not morally beholden to help the poor is simply not true. I do not believe the government should necessarily be the agent that forces us to do that, but I do think that if you have plenty of money, that you must use it in a responsible way.

Also, the biggest issue I have with the under girding of Rand's philosophy is the typical enlightenment nonsense. To Rand, technology and science is somehow virtuous in and of itself and if we would just allow it to do its thing, it will take us to paradise. Well, we have lots of technology and science, and by now we should know that neither will one day give us a peaceful and just world. Technology and science gave us penicillin, but it also gave us nuclear weapons. Technology and scientists are morally neutral and they will not take us into a golden era or make people happy. You would think people would realize this by now.

Also, Rand comes off as one of the most arrogant people I have ever read. She makes bold, blanket statements without providing any evidence or rational argumentation for her position. She is a know it all, and I think if I had met her in person, she would have irritated me to no end. But that's just my opinion and if you like her writing that's fine by me.

It's interesting that Ayn Rand makes people so uptight. In my early 20's I read The Fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged, and a couple books from her protege Nathaniel Branden. There is a sort of beautiful integrity to the framework of her ideas. Seems many people enjoy attacking her and those who find her ideas intriguing. It's more difficult to knock holes in the ideas themselves. I do think she's easily misread, and her ideas are so contrary to our traditional way of seeing things that she evokes a visceral protective response.

Where I sense her falling short for me personally is in the denial of the human subjective and the metaphysical aspects of our existence. In the above mentioned playboy interview she denies that man has instincts. I'm recently quite intrigued with a vlogger named Elliott Hulse who paints an interesting counterpoint to these ideas. He talks about the "beautiful intelligence of the body", and how in our society we are conditioned to be "schizoid" robots, completely trying to rule the more primitive aspects of our consciousness in the same manner that a heartless rider might control a horse with a whip. Allowing the heart to lead has its place and can lead a person on the most fascinating adventures and creations. I've also been listening to some lectures by Joseph Campbell - again in this same vein of how there are some deeper truths which our ancestors are trying to relay through myth and religion, and throughout history and location the stories run parallel because they come from the wellspring of the subjective human experience. He warns us against taking religious metaphors literally and explicitly because in doing so the conveyed story and meaning is lost.

Perhaps these are the types of things that Ayn turned a blind eye to. But I don't see her as completely contradictory to these ideas either. Note that by taking religious motifs literally, we are indeed undermining our rational cognitive capabilities. I see this as particularly dangerous to children. It is our job as humans to create a moral framework for ourselves. If we are trained that we must blindly accept some dogma and that to resist or question is evil, or that our cognitive abilities are not to be trusted, we then live our lives as slaves. I don't see how any true individualist and free thinker would not find some jewels of wisdom or food for thought in Ayn's ideas.

Re Tex's interpretation - there was really nothing special in her books about technology. The name "Fountainhead" kind of says it all - that the individual, not the group is the real source of everything that man has to offer. In essence she stated that we have 2 choices as humans, to be aware and use our objective cognitive abilities or not. In doing so, we set up the groundwork to create our system of values. Being from soviet Russia, she was very much against rule by the many and the heavy interference of government to control society. She believed in individual rights. The whole altruism thing wraps around that background I think - a recognition that humans serve their own values. This can expand quite a bit I think depending on where you see the boundary of your ego and the extent of what you love or value, such that what is commonly interpreted as altruism in her system would be love of an extended self.

It's interesting that Ayn Rand makes people so uptight. In my early 20's I read The Fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged, and a couple books from her protege Nathaniel Branden. There is a sort of beautiful integrity to the framework of her ideas. Seems many people enjoy attacking her and those who find her ideas intriguing. It's more difficult to knock holes in the ideas themselves. I do think she's easily misread, and her ideas are so contrary to our traditional way of seeing things that she evokes a visceral protective response.

Where I sense her falling short for me personally is in the denial of the human subjective and the metaphysical aspects of our existence. In the above mentioned playboy interview she denies that man has instincts. I'm recently quite intrigued with a vlogger named Elliott Hulse who paints an interesting counterpoint to these ideas. He talks about the "beautiful intelligence of the body", and how in our society we are conditioned to be "schizoid" robots, completely trying to rule the more primitive aspects of our consciousness in the same manner that a heartless rider might control a horse with a whip. Allowing the heart to lead has its place and can lead a person on the most fascinating adventures and creations. I've also been listening to some lectures by Joseph Campbell - again in this same vein of how there are some deeper truths which our ancestors are trying to relay through myth and religion, and throughout history and location the stories run parallel because they come from the wellspring of the subjective human experience. He warns us against taking religious metaphors literally and explicitly because in doing so the conveyed story and meaning is lost.

Perhaps these are the types of things that Ayn turned a blind eye to. But I don't see her as completely contradictory to these ideas either. Note that by taking religious motifs literally, we are indeed undermining our rational cognitive capabilities. I see this as particularly dangerous to children. It is our job as humans to create a moral framework for ourselves. If we are trained that we must blindly accept some dogma and that to resist or question is evil, or that our cognitive abilities are not to be trusted, we then live our lives as slaves. I don't see how any true individualist and free thinker would not find some jewels of wisdom or food for thought in Ayn's ideas.

Re Tex's interpretation - there was really nothing special in her books about technology. The name "Fountainhead" kind of says it all - that the individual, not the group is the real source of everything that man has to offer. In essence she stated that we have 2 choices as humans, to be aware and use our objective cognitive abilities or not. In doing so, we set up the groundwork to create our system of values. Being from soviet Russia, she was very much against rule by the many and the heavy interference of government to control society. She believed in individual rights. The whole altruism thing wraps around that background I think - a recognition that humans serve their own values. This can expand quite a bit I think depending on where you see the boundary of your ego and the extent of what you love or value, such that is commonly interpreted as altruism in her system would be love of an extended self.

Actually, she believed in her own right to disregard everybody else.

Actually, she believed in her own right to disregard everybody else.
I think it would be more accurate to say she believed in her right to disregard anyone making demands upon her or infringing on her individual rights, which in our society with its pervasive entitlement mentality, just by chance happens to be almost everybody else.

I can go piece by piece through that post that Ghost just posted and refute nearly every claim she makes. For example, Rand claims the doctrine of original sin says that people do not have a choice. That is not the doctrine of original sin. I agree with her, all human beings have the ability to choose right or wrong morally. But that is not the opposite of original sin. That is extremely careless anlysis of what most Christians mean about original sin, along with a host of other things. And I'm 100% sure the foundation for Rand's philosophy is Enlightenment thought. I'm not going to get into it at this point because I feel guilty for hijacking this post.

One of my philosophy professors paid her a final tribute and I quote " Thank GOD she's dead and can't write any more of that shit" now let's move on to Jaspers.

[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]"Again, Obamacare doesn't just have a "death panel", it is a death panel.[/background]​

[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]From Poor Richard's News:
This is probably the most heart breaking story from the Obamacare debacle yet. A South Carolina man was diagnosed with cancer and his old insurance was providing him with the doctors and treatment he needed, but that insurance has been cancelled because Obamacare regulations. His new options are so expensive that he’s decided to give up and “let nature take its course” rather than put his family under the financial strain of paying for the new insurance that Obamacare requires.[/background]​

[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Remember when the whole point of Obamacare was that it was completely unfair for people to be "denied coverage"? Nothing has changed![/background]​

[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]No, that's not true.

What has changed is that there are now fewer resources available so that more people are going to have to let "nature take its course."[/background]​

[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]And what really are the trade-offs? One person suddenly has access to expensive pharmaceuticals he's managed to live without for years even though he was told it would help with his "condition" and a few people have to die a decade earlier.[/background]​

[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]In what universe is inevitable death due to lack of resources worth trading for more death due to political decisions?
No, in what universe is inevitable death due to lack of resources worth trading for more death due to political decisions, which were lied about?[/background]"​

[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Read more at http://politicaloutc...WKZEbK0hvpdH.99[/background]

Source: http://politicaloutc...insurance-gone/

We need verification from a reliable and independent source, that Bill Elliot actually exists, that the same Bill Elliot's old insurance was cancelled because of Affordable Care Act regulations and no other reason, and that the same Bill Elliot actually voted for president Obama.

How much did his old insurance cost (US$ per year)?

Documentation:

Exactly why was it cancelled?

Documentation:

How much will his new insurance cost (US$ per year)?

Documentation:

More from steveinbsas's source, politicaloutcast:

What You Know Just Ain’t So: Evolution
Did Jesus Feed 5000 To Justify Food Stamps?
Obama’s Gay Bully Brigade Is On The Wrong Side Of History
School District Blackmailed by ACLU to Remove Portrait of Jesus

I can go piece by piece through that post that Ghost just posted and refute nearly every claim she makes. For example, Rand claims the doctrine of original sin says that people do not have a choice. That is not the doctrine of original sin. I agree with her, all human beings have the ability to choose right or wrong morally. But that is not the opposite of original sin. That is extremely careless anlysis of what most Christians mean about original sin, along with a host of other things. And I'm 100% sure the foundation for Rand's philosophy is Enlightenment thought. I'm not going to get into it at this point because I feel guilty for hijacking this post.

The best response comes from Elvis Costello:

http://www.lyricswow.com/elvis-costello/im-not-angry/

Back