The Best Reason Now To Be An Expat In Argentina...

1390515_466543356792045_2092500995_n.jpg

Is there a non-partisan source where one can read about the AFA and it's impact? I have Democratic friends who are saying it's the answer to all of our healthcare issues. On the other hand I have anti-Obama friends (once known as "Republicans") who are saying it's the end of America.

Some rational, objective analysis would be welcome.

Is there a non-partisan source where one can read about the AFA and it's impact? I have Democratic friends who are saying it's the answer to all of our healthcare issues. On the other hand I have anti-Obama friends (once known as "Republicans") who are saying it's the end of America.

The ACA is by no means a panacea, but it's a big step forward after decades of critically inefficient coverage in the US. One of the best sources for information is the Kaiser Family Foundation (independent of Kaiser Permanente): http://kff.org/health-reform/, http://kff.org/about-us/

Here is some (not necessarily non-partisan but apparently factual) information regarding the "impact" of the AFA: http://www.fool.com/...osts-could.aspx

There is a vlogger, "Stormcloudsgathering" who enjoys challenging viewer's thoughts on various topics such as the ones we're touching on in this thread. One of his favorite topics is the "wedge issue". He states that we are trapped in a right-left paradigm, stuck arguing about emotionally charged issues as a distraction by those who gain advantage from centralized money and power. As such we are distracted from more manageable and relevant issues which might really affect our lives. It seems to me that on this forum, much as is reflected throughout life, we waste a lot of time bickering about these issues and trying to change everyone else's mind to our way of thinking. The debates often lack depth, traction, and maybe most of all, empathy. If we were to look for the common ground we might get down to something more interesting.

For me, for example, open source hardware is a very interesting topic because it enables people to be more free of the monopolistic corporate and state entities that seem to actually be at the root what we're scrapping about. But we don't spend much time on the local practical picture that we can actually get our hands on. We don't talk much about steps to change anything we're complaining about. Rather we just spin our wheels in emotionally charged rhetoric about a big picture we don't really have any control over. Just an observation I guess.

Here's a video on this altruism - selfishness theme. Clarifying definitions is an important step, which it seems that he's trying to do. Maybe you'll find something interesting, or maybe not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWnp28QkdfI

Mitt Romney thought that 47 percent of the population was freeloading on the rest of us. Steve, though, knows that everybody but himself and a few other Ayn-idolators are moochers.
Please quote anything I've posted in this forum to support your assertion that I know (or even think) that almost almost everyone is a moocher...or that I idolize Ayn Rand. Liking an author's writing doesn't make anyone an idol worshipper. Frankly, I never liked watching her TV interviews and never wanted to attend her lectures. Making sweeping and sarcastic generalizations (false statements) about me doesn't change the fact that Obama repeatedly lied about the ACA (which will dramatically increase the number of individuals who are dependent upon the government, many of whom have no desire to be so. Just look at the recent increase of those individuals getting Medicaid instead of signing up for an "approved" exchange. I would have qualified for Medicaid the last twelve years I lived in the USA. Instead, I paid for a catastrophic plan from Blue Cross/Blue Shield. I also would have been eligible for SNAP (food stamps), but I never applied. I didn't because I was able to feed myself and pay for my own insurance without asking for help from the government. If I had never read Ayn Rand I might have, but we'll never know. I don't think there is anything wrong with asking for help or helping others. I've been helped by friends and family when I needed it. The reason I find the ACA wrong is that it is coercive (I'm not referring to taxation and I don't think the ACA fine for not buying a "product" is a tax) . The only time accepting "help" is wrong is when the individual doesn't need it. The federal subsidies for members of Congress (and their staff?) first comes to mind. I that isn't mooching, what is? The purpose of the ACA act is not to provide affordable care (as promised). It is about some people controlling others in ways that will profoundly affect their lives, and, in some cases, end them by denying the health care they were promised.

Although it really is too soon to know just how devesating (or beneficial) the impact of the ACA will be, there are some eye-opening statistics that reveal how eager Americans are to sign up...or not: http://www.forbes.co...-cancellations/

Back