The Breakdown Is Here: Jail For Irregulars

Three questions:

aa) Are departing "irregular" expats who do not have a deportation order and have just paid an overstay fee being detained in an Ezeiza "jail" until it's time to board the plane?

bb) In addition to the overstay fee, is anyone asking them to pay a bribe of any kind?

cc) Are arriving foreigners who have previously overstayed a tourist visa being detained and/or being asked to pay a bribe?

aa) - Highly unlikely.

bb) No one can say this except the person who experienced it

cc)Highly unlikely

question for Bajo - Can you enlighten us how so many Chinese enter the country especially when embassy of Arg in China does not issue them visas? How come 100's of Chinese stand in queue ( at Ezeiza immigration) with locals - all - lo behold..holding Argentine passports!!

Australia's Gulag Archipelago by Julia Baird in today's NYT Op Ed August 30.'16
Australia's policy is that no one arriving by boat can be considered a refugee.
People who live in glass houses really shouldn't throw so many stones
Lucky for the Aussies Cuba is thousands of miles away from them
Nothing stops the Cubans who want to get out of Fidel's Worker's Paradise "con carnaval".

I recently entered through Ezeiza with a history of three overstays. Breezed through. Only one man's story though.

I agree with most of your points, ceviche. Two things though -

The major problem is the influx of Chinese who are obviously in cahoots with the government and are arriving in hoardes and eventually getting the nationality. Its amazing to see 100's of Chinese with Argentine passport (probably bajo's ex-clients), standing together with local Argies, when arriving from abroad.

Why do you think the influx of Chinese is the 'major' problem? Also, I am sure there are people from other countries in the same line too, but probably Chinese are easy to spot.

The 2nd major difference is that migrants from neighboring countries are usually poor and they feel that they can have a better lifestyle in Argentina, which I personally feel is a myth cos to have a good lifestyle here, you need to earn well.

I'd say most migrants from the neighboring countries come to Argentina because there are comparatively better job or business opportunities here for them. Let's not forget free and better education system plus healthcare...

How much of this is aimed at people from [developed nation] overseas as opposed to migrants illegally entering from neighboring countries?

I'd think that there are different aspects for dealing with a perma-tourist with a several months of over-stay than with migrants crossing the border with false documents and working under the table and settling down in a villa. I'd imagine that the proportions are vastly different. Which is it that the gov is so concerned about actually?

On the one hand, the overseas types are bring in money and spending it here, most of the time their documentation is defined, complete, and with criminal records checked. These are much easier to detect and manage.
On the other hand continental migrants would be a logistical nightmare, do not pay taxes, strain the social system, and have often been a source of political manipulation, and may be unchecked criminals. If the plan is to detain either of these then the continental migrant might be harder to detain then repatriate without additional reliance on public funds. (this is why I mentioned incarceration as meals and a place to sleep while Arg. gov tries to figure out what to do with them)

Well, right, there is a big difference. But not the one you have in mind.

It is legal to come to this country crossing the border during night if you are a victim of illegal international trafficking of migrants. In fact, the judges must give you a DNI.

On the other hand, the authorities stated that this jail if for those who break the immigration law. What you call permatourist is un fact a fraud to the immigration law.

Today i made the habeas corpus and one of my claims is that the government explains properly how they are going to use this facility and according to which rules because secret decrees are forbidden.

What you do not understand is that for local authorities (and the AR immigration doctrine) it is Ok if you are an immigrant no matter if irregular but what they never liked was expats because during the 40´ Mussolini tried to create italian colonies in Argentina. Nazis made the same.

There was an investigation made by Congressmen and some foreign agents were arrested and deported.

We have to wait and see.

question for Bajo - Can you enlighten us how so many Chinese enter the country especially when embassy of Arg in China does not issue them visas? How come 100's of Chinese stand in queue ( at Ezeiza immigration) with locals - all - lo behold..holding Argentine passports!!

Well, they come using trafficking criminal international networks.
Well 2, when they get citizenship they can have a local passport, simple. Or you prefer a line for pure argentina and one for yellow ones? ;)

Well, they come using trafficking criminal international networks.
Well 2, when they get citizenship they can have a local passport, simple. Or you prefer a line for pure argentina and one for yellow ones? ;)

They wont need to pay a international network anymore!!

http://www.bubblear.com/chinese-tourists-no-longer-need-visas-to-visit-argentina/

Only if they already have visa for the EU or the US. Nothing changed.

Only if they already have visa for the EU or the US. Nothing changed.

Even then its easy.

I remember when I lived in Congo and had both US & UK ( long term visa) on my Congo passport, it was almost impossible to get Argentine visa despite that. So I would say, things have become easier.

Speaking of Chinese tourists....
http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/221036/macri-tackles-deficit-with-china

I don't have a high opinion a large % of Chinese travellers when it comes to manners and behaviour..

Back