The Case For President Sergio Massa

I'm one of these people, but I would never vote for a Peronist, let alone a pancake like Massa. The enemy of my enemy isn't my friend, and politically I'm not a cyrpto-fascist (Milei), neoliberal (Bullrich), or Peronist (Massa) so that's why you won't see me arguing he is the answer, even though I dislike them, because if it's Milei vs Mass I'd be voting en blanco.

Also it's important to remember the overwhelming majority of this forum skews right wing, but not the flavor Milei is, and I assume they don't agree with his policies like myself, even though I'm politically on the far left, we just all sort of collectively agree he's bad.

The case for Massa is hard for two reasons: A) He's been Superminister for a year now, and things have only gotten worse, and B) What would he be doing differently than he's doing now? Cristina has already caved and let him do a bunch of shit she normally wouldn't be okay with, such as a devaluation during election season, so his presidency wouldn't be that different.

The pitch I suppose is the devil you know vs the one you don't, which isn't very convincing. I'm actually surprised Bullrich isn't doing better than she is, she has the easiest case imo, "I'm Macri 2.0", the Macri years weren't great, but they sure as shit were better than Alberto's admin for everything from minimum wage, inflation, pensions, etc. and Milei is still an unknown quantity in the sense that there will be a lot of pain before anything gets better (if you believe in his agenda) and he won't have Congress to even implement half the things he wants to, so why not role back the clock to 2015?

Anyways, what do I know. There's only 3 guarantees in Argentine life: death, taxes, and the depreciation of the peso, regardless of who wins.
With all my respect, Massa comes from UCEDE that is the liberal party, he is not peronista while Bullrich is not neoliberal: she was a terrorist peronist during the 70’ and she still is as soon as is linked to the attempt of magnicide of CFK.

With all my respect, Massa comes from UCEDE that is the liberal party, he is not peronista while Bullrich is not neoliberal: she was a terrorist peronist during the 70’ and she still is as soon as is linked to the attempt of magnicide of CFK.
It's true Bullrich was a montonero. She admitted as much herself when interviewed for a book in the 90's, but when Mirtha Legrand confronted her about it in the early 2000's, she denied it and said that no, she was Peronist Youth.

As far as the assassination attempt against CFK, the entirety of the corrupted judiciary is straining to the limits to keep that under wraps.

It's true Bullrich was a montonero. She admitted as much herself when interviewed for a book in the 90's, but when Mirtha Legrand confronted her about it in the early 2000's, she denied it and said that no, she was Peronist Youth.

As far as the assassination attempt against CFK, the entirety of the corrupted judiciary is straining to the limits to keep that under wraps.
She was not sentenced and indulted later, so, there is not double jeopardy. She can go to jail if she admits it. People like Villarroel want to open criminal cases against people like Bullrich. The leading case is the murder of the union leader Rucci where there are high chances that Bullrich was involved.

She was not sentenced and indulted later, so, there is not double jeopardy. She can go to jail if she admits it. People like Villarroel want to open criminal cases against people like Bullrich. The leading case is the murder of the union leader Rucci where there are high chances that Bullrich was involved.
And in the meantime, Bullrich has transformed her presidential campaign into a one-woman vendetta against Cristina, rather than appealing for a positive vision of what she wants for Argentina, she's hawking her new maximum security prison to be named after Cristina :rolleyes: As far as the election is concerned I think she's toast, it's a pity she can't get past herself, as her economics advisor seems relatively sensible.

And in the meantime, Bullrich has transformed her presidential campaign into a one-woman vendetta against Cristina, rather than appealing for a positive vision of what she wants for Argentina, she's hawking her new maximum security prison to be named after Cristina :rolleyes: As far as the election is concerned I think she's toast, it's a pity she can't get past herself, as her economics advisor seems relatively sensible.
It is tough for Bullrich as she has her supposed ally, Macri, fingering Milei at every opportunity.

It’s pretty clear to me that the Peronists are just so deeply ingrained in most all forms of business, unions, city government, etc from CABA and beyond. Hard to make inroads there. Milei has to speak clearly and with concrete plans without just screaming about the K factor. Can’t just scare the bejesus out of people who have been receiving some form of government aid for years.
I don’t like him much at all really but do understand some of his points of views. It’s a mess.

Over the years I've come to the personal conclusion that the answers to society's problems won't be found in individual politicians or politics as it currently operates. Argentine politicians yelling, performing, focusing exclusively on bashing other politicians, stirring up fear, and not offering any concrete plans to how they would solve any of the issues facing us just reinforces that for me. Yet another election of having to choose between the lesser of two evils as opposed to someone with reasonable ideas and plans that stir optimism instead of fear.

6. Maintaining the status quo means expats with foreign income can continue to enjoy a high standard of living, whilst not suffering many of the negatives that the local population have to endure.
Massa was very clear during his campaign and during the debates that he would be cracking down on both big and small tax evaders and evaders of capital controls as Argentina urgently needs to raise money through taxes and through proper application of capital controls - going as far as saying anyone who skirts capital control rules or taxes will be punished with prison and prosecuted as a criminal under new policies and policing he will introduce.

Given the bulk of expats on this forum appear to live from foreign income and/ or assets that they are (a) not paying argentine taxes on and/ or (b) not liquidating as it as they should be, in order to fully enjoy a high standard of living while not suffering any of the negatives that the local population endure, they may be in for a few surprises with Massa presidente of an Argentine just as broke and in dire need of dollars as it is today, if not more.

Just thought I’d throw it out there as fair game for those who are holding on to their kidneys in horror while naïvely thinking that with Massa it will be their same-old comfort zone, as blatant scare-tactics seem to be the basis of this entire electoral campaign…

Back