The city has just declared a Sanitary Emergency

Navette, according to a journalist friend, who has been goig to the clinics, interviewing doctors, etc.......government epidemiologists (yes government) estimate that within 15 days 15-20% of the population in the city of buenos aires will be infected .....

If I were pregnant, had a 15 month old and could wait another month to return to the country, I would do so.
If you want the contact details of the journalist, who has sent me info by private e-mail I will send them to you by PM.

Too bad that nobody goes out anymore. Other then that I just dont care

Thanks for the rec's. Considering that I cannot take any medication while I'm pregnant and not wanting to risk my daughter even getting the ordinary flu, I'll return to the country and enjoy it another time. Wearing masks and being home bound just does not sound so fun. Again, thanks all and prayers to Igor.

I find it ironic and very full of karma that Argentina is getting some of the worst of the swine flu after their very ill-advised and stupid political move when they suspended flights to-from Mexico and made a ton of noise about Mexico's handling of the problem. Just another reason we are all glad Cristina's party lost their ass and are on the way out eventually. As for the severity of this flu, it is not unlike regular flu and in many cases more mild so I hope people just go about their lives normally and take normal precautions. Panic did not help Argentina prevent the virus from coming into the country and will not make a difference. Normal precautions are what are needed.

I actually find it ironic as well that the government has yet to declare a real health emergency because they are fearful of losing tourist in this economy. I wonder how they would feel if countries suspended flights there and made Argentina the bad guy? They would not like it so they should not have done the same to Mexico. Only Cuba and Argentina showed such a lack of judgment. Oh well.

I just learned today that my sister in law has A flu and has been admitted to the hospital a few hours ago with pneumonia. Be careful this is no joke.

There is a tremendous amount of ignorance about disease and disease control in most societies and 90 percent of masks will not prevent the swine flu from entering your immune system. Only surgical masks as well as gloves will prevent cotagion of 90 percent. I have watched most people on the streets who wear masks that barely cover their mouths believing that they will be protected.

Every surface you touch or peso bill has a strong chance of having cotagion meaning that if you wish to fully protect yourselves gloves are better than masks .

Saying all that Flu is a huge killer every year and this year is no different but because of swine flu many cases of normal flu and pnemonia are being connected to swine flu because of the presence of the hni virus in the blood. This does not mean that it is from swine flu but only it means that you have had contact with swine flu like 20 percent of portenos by now.

EMR said:
I find it ironic and very full of karma that Argentina is getting some of the worst of the swine flu after their very ill-advised and stupid political move when they suspended flights to-from Mexico and made a ton of noise about Mexico's handling of the problem. Just another reason we are all glad Cristina's party lost their ass and are on the way out eventually. As for the severity of this flu, it is not unlike regular flu and in many cases more mild so I hope people just go about their lives normally and take normal precautions. Panic did not help Argentina prevent the virus from coming into the country and will not make a difference. Normal precautions are what are needed.

I actually find it ironic as well that the government has yet to declare a real health emergency because they are fearful of losing tourist in this economy. I wonder how they would feel if countries suspended flights there and made Argentina the bad guy? They would not like it so they should not have done the same to Mexico. Only Cuba and Argentina showed such a lack of judgment. Oh well.

All this shit to take the picture of the electoral loss

Official estimates set the number of infected patients at 100 000, a week ago official numbers were at around 1600 cases. According to WHO statistics from past Friday there were a grand total of approx 90 000 infections worldwide - go figure... I must agree with BlahBlah (reminder to self: take temperature later)

desertrose said:
Official estimates set the number of infected patients at 100 000, a week ago official numbers were at around 1600 cases. According to WHO statistics from past Friday there were a grand total of approx 90 000 infections worldwide - go figure

I'm not sure what you are going to go and figure. Disease transmission follows a geometric, not an arithmetic progression - or was that what you meant? On the basis of only seven thousand confirmed cases in Britain, the UK has changed from its policy of containment and the British Health Secretary is expecting infection levels to rise to about one hundred thousand cases per day by August. You can read all about it here.... http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-by-august-says-health-secretary-1729612.html

Back