The difference in English and Spanish

DA

Registered
Why do I have to explain most things to Argentines 3 times before I get a straight answer? I know you are thinking it is my Spanish but this also happens when I use a dual native translator, and I understand that Argentines will only hear what they want to hear but could there be a possibility that the Spanish language is not as specific or effective as English and this could be the explanation for all the problems and waist of time in Spanish speaking countries?**
Sorry for not being clear, I did not refer to everyday conversation, but to negotiating purchases, signing leases, arranging airline travel and general business dealings.**

It's true that English has a larger vocabulary (over a million words, making it the hugest in the world; Chinese is a distant second, with half that) and, properly used, a more complex grammar; together, these make English a supple, subtle language capable of nearly infinite expression. But how often do you discuss philosophy's fine points or attempt a lyrical sonnet in Spanish? I'm sure you don't! Problems in basic communication must be explained otherwise.

DA, I think it part of the mas o menos cultural thing. We have learned to keep asking the same person the same question until you get the answer you are looking for is a good strategy.

Spanish is a modern, sophisticated, widely used language. It's fully capable of adequate expression in and discussion of such subjects.
I'd agree with SSkier.

"RWS" said:
Spanish is a modern, sophisticated, widely used language. It's fully capable of adequate expression in and discussion of such subjects.
I'd agree with SSkier.
This is good news for me, I am looking forward to learn the Spanish language well enough to be understood and understand in these situations.

DA, you don't have to speak much Spanish to understand the basic principle of asking to you hear what you want. Suerte!

There is certainly a difference between English and Spanish expression. English is far more direct and more useful in Business . There is a problem in the efficency of Argentine society which it itself is cultural.

Quoting "pericles": "There is certainly a difference between English and Spanish expression. English is far more direct and more useful in Business . . . ."
English generally is employed more directly -- but not always! That, I suppose, is what keeps English-speaking lawyers and poets working.

Back