The economic future from Argentina

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Paul_NL" said:
What's you source of the 33% of sales to foreigners in some areas?
A piece on Buenos Aires property prices in "The Economist" about a year back (this claim was made for Recoleta and Palermo).

Paul NL,
I totally disagree
"Soja, corn and weed are on an all-time high in prices which can't be maintained because of the global economy"
China is our main buyer and will continue buying at this pace, so for the next couple of years the horizon is clear....You should stop (and I 'm saying it kindly) throwing shit....on to Argentina. Many many things are unclear and , the government's aim to concentrate power, to interfere with the judicial power, state intervention etc...I'm not arrogant but I can't identify Argentina's real danger, not everything is rosy, no it isn't but your outlook sounds based more on a science fiction book than an informed economic report based on ACTUAL FACTS, FIGURES (which is what you never include) you just trash some ideas....
And If you were right, then there would be NO explanation as to why the USD prices of acres in the best agricultural areas in the country keep rising as never before in Argentina's history: Pergamino, Colon, Junin etc. Are foreigners all fools? (specially americans who are the main buyers)
If you knew that between one third and two thirds of Argentina's GDP is derived from the agricultural sector, then we should have a stable environment at least for some more years (despite inflation, government's international policies/friendships)
I have read quite a few economist outlooks for Argentina (main US banks) and this is our big asset/opportunity. If Argentina is able to derive some long term advantages (education, health, transportation investments, labour reforms that would allow easy hiring) from this excellent economic environment, that is sthg to be seen, and I myself doubt it. But that is a different story
As for tourism I don't see why it should decline
Take it as a kind advice, think twice before informing or at least base your opinions on facts and figures, this way it will be more reliable and your posts will look more believable.
Many thanks

"bf4" said:
Paul NL,
I totally disagree
"Soja, corn and weed are on an all-time high in prices which can't be maintained because of the global economy"
Never in the world economy prices have been maintained for more then 5 years and prices have never been higher. The world economy is slowing down, USA is due for an slow-down or a recession. If this happens prices will go down a lot
China is our main buyer and will continue buying at this pace, so for the next couple of years the horizon is clear....You should stop (and I 'm saying it kindly) throwing *bleep*....on to Argentina. Many many things are unclear Who's fault is that? and , the government's aim to concentrate power, to interfere with the judicial power, state intervention etc...I'm not arrogant but I can't identify Argentina's real danger, not everything is rosy, no it isn't but your outlook sounds based more on a science fiction book than an informed economic report based on ACTUAL FACTS, FIGURES (which is what you never include)Maybe you should start to read instead of personally attacking me you just trash some ideas....
And If you were right, then there would be NO explanation as to why the USD prices of acres in the best agricultural areas in the country keep rising as never before in Argentina's history: Pergamino, Colon, Junin etc. Are foreigners all fools? (specially americans who are the main buyers) What's your source?
If you knew that between one third and two thirds of Argentina's GDP is derived from the agricultural sector, then we should have a stable environment at least for some more years (despite inflation, government's international policies/friendships)
Take of your rose coloured glasses
I have read quite a few economist outlooks for Argentina (main US banks) and this is our big asset/opportunity. If Argentina is able to derive some long term advantages (education, health, transportation investments, labour reforms that would allow easy hiring) Can you name one structural reform in any of thest fields in the last 5 years? from this excellent economic environment, that is sthg to be seen, and I myself doubt it. But that is a different story
As for tourism I don't see why it should decline
Because Argentina for a tourist is about 100% more expensive then it was in 2003. Another year(or 2) and Argentina will be expensive
Take it as a kind advice, think twice before informing or at least base your opinions on facts and figures, this way it will be more reliable and your posts will look more believable.
Take your advice for yourself
Many thanks
Bold does not work, so I don't know if it's clear

"Paul_NL" said:
Bold does not work, so I don't know if it's clear
Before the sentence or passage you want to make bold, put a "b" with square brackets on each side and after it put a "/b" with square brackets on each side. Likewise put "u" (with square brackets on each side) and "/u" (with square brackets on each side) if you want to underline a sentence or passage.

There are many reasons why tourism is growing in Argentina and especially Buenos Aires.
Firstly Buenos Aires is the hub for some of the worlds most beautiful natural wonders Iguazu Falls The glaciars of Calafate and Antartica to name a few.
Tourism to all these regions is growing rapidly. Antartica, which is a relatively new destination from Argentina, is a segment achieving incredible growth.
Why people keep visiting Buenos Aires and will continue to visit in increasing numbers is quite apparent. This city has a lot to offer from its excellent nightlife, great architecture, beautiful parks and the worlds most famous cementary Recoleta.
Culturally Buenos Aires is equal to any city on the planet and it offers a tremendous array of options for enjoyment. Tango is a huge drawcard for tourism and will continue to grow as there is a revival of tango in many countries of Europe and Asia .Tango is extremely popular in Japan, France and Italy from where tourism is growing at impressive rates.
Our Theatre and Film industry is booming and currently there are two blockbusters being filmed on the streets of Buenos Aires .one by Francis Ford Coppola . Argentinas own film industry is South Americas most vibrant and churns out 400 films a year . The theatre in Buenos Aires is for me and many others one of the biggest attractions of this city . Every weekend there are over 100 productions being played in theatres small and large many based on Corrientes which would put Broadway to shame.
Cosmetic surgery is another segment of tourism that is achieving huge growth and as most Porteños know we have world class cosmetic surgeons who charge less than 50 percent of prices in Unites States and Europe.
These are just some of the reasons why tourism will continue to grow and Im sure there are many others .

"Culturally Buenos Aires is equal to any city on the planet" Culturally BA is the best city in Latin America. No question about that. There are lots of classical music concerts, some of excellent quality however comparing BA's musical institutions, museums and general cultural infrastructure to that of the European capitals, New York or other major American cities is absolutely absurd. The city has one 3rd rank orchestra (in desperate need of its own concert hall - the temporarily closed Teatro Colon is an opera house. BA needs a concert hall for its orchestra, like all major international cities) and a once distinguished opera company (Teatro Colon) that now performs no more than 11-12 operas a year, beset with constant labor strife and chaos. As for lending libraries, the only one I know is private - the former Lincoln Library of ICANA. Let's talk facts, not silliness.

One thing you can say about the Argentines is that they are consistent. They have stayed the course with decades of bad government and economic mis-management. Hopefully, attitudes will change here someday and they will be just as consistent in demanding good government and better judgement in economic affairs. After all the country has a lot going for it and it should be a rich country (or at least a lot more successful than it has been).Of course if it were more like North America or Europe a lot of us wouldn't be here as the cost of living would likely be a lot higher than it is.

Sergio,
Are you implying that Miami, Houston, El Paso, Dallas, LA offer a cultural spectrum richer than that of B.A?
Where have you been living?!(LOL!!)
Really, I'm very curious, take D.C (fourth or fifth biggest city in the USA-taking what americans call suburban areas) , just their cinema option won't offer you any european/non american film, is that what you call a rich cultural variety?
And I'm terribly sorry, but I don't find it serious that you compare american cities with european ones. Can you compare Paris (Pompidou,Louvre, Cluny, Jeu de Paume, and so so many others) to LA/Dallas/Houston/? Or even to Madrid, London, Barcelona? Have you travelled????
Or were you thinking about big malls (with its glittering Pottery Barn stained glass windows) and torrid suburbs?
As for libraries, please visit la biblioteca Nacional or del Congreso, please don't post Icana's, it makes one cry in comparison, if you don't speak / read spanish then one is not to blame.
Last but not least, which American city boasts a theatre of Colon's Level? Which has hosted the talents and bears the prestige/history of the Colon?
Maybe and only Maybe, New York, and Chicago. Please don't make us laugh and above all be consistent with facts...........If there is sthg that doesn't abound in USA that is culture in its different forms (Theatres, museums, ) As for libraries, WHO reads in USA? A 1% of the population or even less. And WHAT do they read?
USA Today once a month......? We could go on for ages...... How many languages does an average middle class American citizen speak? One, and with luck they can read it.....
Take any middle class argentinean and you can see the difference.
As for cultural iniciatives in Argentina, they have multiplied in the last couple of years, and there is no explanation as why this shouldn't be the case in the decade to come.

There is so much to write about I hardly know where to begin. Going down the East Coast Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington are the most important cities from a cultural perspective. Philadelphia, the largest city on the East Coast after Boston has countless world class cultural institutions. There are many outstanding schools including a member of the Ivy League: the University of Pennsylvania, established by Benjamin Franklin. The famous Wharton School is a part of the U of P. There are many prestigious private schools – going as far back as the 1600’s. In music area there is the Academy of Music which was the setting of the opera scenes in Scorsese’s Age of Innocence. The great hall (more compact than the Colon, through seating more, was designed in a somewhat similar baroque style) was built in the 1840’s – long before the Colon was ever imagined. It has hosted the greatest musicians since its inception. Until recently it was the home of the Philadelphia Orchestra, one of the “Big Five” leading US orchestras. The Philadelphia Orchestra now performs in an impressive new performing arts complex known as the Kimmel Center – designed, incidentally, by a graduate of the University of Buenos Aires. The city has the oldest art school in the nation: the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, one of the nation’s leading art museums: the Philadelphia Museum of Art and what art experts consider one of the finest private art collections in the world: the Barnes Foundation. The latter in itself would make a major art museum in any of the European cities. There are many other world class museums in the city including the Museum of the University of Pennsylvania (archeology) and a wealth of architecture. Boston is famous for Harvard however there are many more important educational institutions, a great orchestra, a first class art museum, a vibrant city center and a tremendous wealth of history and architecture. Washington too has an excellent performing arts complex, the Kennedy Center, with an array of world class performing arts groups. The National Gallery is one of the world’s art museums. It is not the only important art museum - the city is almost a museum in itself with major monuments, history, art and many other world respected institutions within walking distance. If you want to go farther south, take a look at Williamsburg – a fully restored colonial city with a distinguished university college, the College of William and Mary – established in the 1600’s by a charter granted by the British monarch. Farther south and you come to Charleston, South Carolina – a city known for its wealth of architecture, history and cultural life. There is a lot more on the East Coast but space limits me. In the American Midwest Chicago boasts great museums (the Art Institute of Chicago among them) and first rank performing arts companies: the Lyric Opera and the Chicago Symphony. The city is famous for its association with Louis Sullivan and Frank Lloyd Wright. On the West Coast San Francisco is not the largest city but traditionally the leader in the arts with one of the world’s great opera companies. The city is so famous that I don’t think I have to enumerate its attractions. Los Angeles has greatly expanded its cultural attractions. Its orchestra is now one of the best. The Getty Museum has grown into a major international museum in a very short time. You ridicule cities like Houston however that is really not fair. I have been there – and to other similar financial centers in the US. These cities focus on the car and suburban life and are not much to my liking (unlike the older and more traditional cities I have mentioned) however they are not devoid of culture. There are a number of important art museums, orchestras, opera and ballet companies in what may seem some unlikely places. Generally speaking when people think of major cultural life in the US they focus on New York which is clearly the great magnet. It’s not, however, the only American city with first class cultural institutions. I think the original point was that there is more to offer culturally in cities like New York and some of the major European cities than in Buenos Aires. This got turned into an attack on cultural life in the US and its alleged inferiority to that of Argentina. I respectfully disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back