The Guardian: "Time to challenge Argentina’s white European self-image, black history experts say"

Renzi

Registered
This article is an example of a conclusion being based on "projected" findings that fit the researcher's (and the author's) narrative, rather than actual evidence. For example: "Delgado and Gomes prefer data from a 2005 study conducted by Afro-descendant researchers that projects 20% of the population as having at least one African forebear." Neither the methodology nor the sample population are explained in further detail, while in the very next line, this is contradicted by the findings of a more scientific study that puts the number at closer to 9%.

I'm all for anything that challenges the Argentines' inflated and sometimes delusional sense of Europeanness or "whiteness," but that also doesn't mean accepting (without evidence) that a large portion of the population is secretly black.

It wasn’t until the 2010 census that an option was included for Argentinians wishing to self-identify as Afro-descendants. “That inclusion was very important but unfortunately it was restricted to only a small segment of the population, with the resulting projection suggesting that only half a percent of the population self-identify that way,” said Gomes."

Which is about the number who would have checked the box by accident. Instead, the social "scientist" likes another study that looks not at what people report, but at projections of population DNA!!

Does it make sense for a "researcher" to insist that Argentina "must" do anything about "structural racism" against African-descended people when pretty much nobody will admit to being of African descent, and that category is meaningless in the Argentine context? Does importing American anxieties do anything useful for Argentina?

The high prominence of social movements and grievances is already highly destructive to Argentina, which is nearly ungovernable. And to that you want to add some trendy racial divisions where none exist? Of course this is coming out of a UK/US paper - no friends of Argentina.

This article is an example of a conclusion being based on "projected" findings that fit the researcher's (and the author's) narrative, rather than actual evidence. For example: "Delgado and Gomes prefer data from a 2005 study conducted by Afro-descendant researchers that projects 20% of the population as having at least one African forebear." Neither the methodology nor the sample population are explained in further detail, while in the very next line, this is contradicted by the findings of a more scientific study that puts the number at closer to 9%.

I'm all for anything that challenges the Argentines' inflated and sometimes delusional sense of Europeanness or "whiteness," but that also doesn't mean accepting (without evidence) that a large portion of the population is secretly black.

The number quoted as arriving in the River Plate (given in the NY Books article reference which is also in the post Milhojas started a few months back https://baexpats.org/threads/the-hidden-history-of-black-argentina.43385/) is quite surprising, though, about half the number that arrived in North America where Afro-Americans are much more in evidence today.

These studies make me proud to pay taxes. Or not.

Of course they are projected findings. Any "study" sounding the like the topic at hand makes a ton of racist assumptions to prove their anti-white racist point. They should visit the arg numismatic museum and write about the abundance systemic privilege found there.

Argentina is about 50 years behind the rest of the world when it comes to racial sensitivities.

After all ‘los negros de mierda’ only live in the poor neighbourhoods so why bother?

It's been quite a while since I heard anyone say "negros de mierda". My ancient aunts may do it - they are awesome ladies, firmly entrenched in their 1940s prejudices. But most of us have accepted that a large part of Argentina is peopled by "negros". That includes practically all labor leaders, and most Peronist politicians. The "negros' (de mierda or not) are here to stay - get used to it. Argentina is now a true Latin American country.

Let me add that today, many negros de mierda no longer "live in poor neighborhoods". They now own luxury homes in Puerto Madero, posh gated communities, or in Martinez's most exclusive neighborhoods.

It's a Brave New World.

Last edited:
You must move in enlightened circles,

Taxi driver the other day shouted another great phase when someone did something that annoyed him.
‘Los negros hay que matarlos’

It's been quite a while since I heard anyone say "negros de mierda". My ancient aunts may do it - they are awesome ladies, firmly entrenched in their 1940s prejudices. But most of us have accepted that a large part of Argentina is peopled by "negros". That includes practically all labor leaders, and most Peronist politicians. The "negros' (de mierda or not) are here to stay - get used to it. Argentina is now a true Latin American country.

Let me add that today, many negros de mierda no longer "live in poor neighborhoods". They now own luxury homes in Puerto Madero, posh gated communities, or in Martinez's most exclusive neighborhoods.

It's a Brave New World.

Do the so called "negros" in Argentina necessarily have African Genes ? or for the most part are mestizos , native american and Spaniard ..?

Back