The Height Of Ignorance.

Yeah, it happens. I got that Buenos Aires confused with Rio De Janeiro thing too. It's like they remember the dramatic aerial shots of the Altar of Christ the Redeemer from the beginning of Fast & Furious 5. And the horrible irony is that they just sent a crew down to take some colour shots to establish location; F&F5 was actually filmed in Florida.

But I also remember a map shown along with a "news" show on MSNBC, on which they had Turkey marked as Turkmenistan. Ouch.

And I've met many of my fellow Americans who thought Turks and Iranians were both Arabs.

What can you say? Most people sleep through their high school geography class.

Let's stop to remember that over 50% of our fellow Americans live their entire lives without ever leaving the country, while something like 80% never go further abroad than Canada or Mexico. And the crying shame of this is that their lack of experience makes them so much more vulnerable to manipulation. I strongly suspect our Fearless Leader Obama doesn't know his *** from a hole in the ground when it comes to foreign policy. God knows he's stepped on his **** over and over.

Anyone arriving here in Argentina should know immediately that this is not Mexico for several reasons:
  • No one's wearing those big floppy sombreros and playing oversized guitars.
  • People find jobs other than by hanging out in the Home Depot parking lot.
  • The tequila is awful
  • None of the apartments have a velvet painting of Jesus over the plastic enclosed sofa.
Come on folks it should be obvious.

ist2_3165316-mexican.jpg

and not one policeman has said to me: "we don't need no stinkin' badges" when I asked to see ID.

Argentina's hard enough to find on a map - and now you want me to find the Ukraine (someone picked The Falklands - good guess)

Only one out of six Americans could correctly locate Ukraine on a map of the world, but perhaps even more disconcerting, as The Washington Post reports, the farther their guesses were from Ukraine's actual location, the more they wanted the US to intervene with military force...
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-04-08/wheres-ukraine

20140408_ukraine2.png

Yeah, it happens. I got that Buenos Aires confused with Rio De Janeiro thing too. It's like they remember the dramatic aerial shots of the Altar of Christ the Redeemer from the beginning of Fast & Furious 5. And the horrible irony is that they just sent a crew down to take some colour shots to establish location; F&F5 was actually filmed in Florida.

But I also remember a map shown along with a "news" show on MSNBC, on which they had Turkey marked as Turkmenistan. Ouch.

And I've met many of my fellow Americans who thought Turks and Iranians were both Arabs.

What can you say? Most people sleep through their high school geography class.

Let's stop to remember that over 50% of our fellow Americans live their entire lives without ever leaving the country, while something like 80% never go further abroad than Canada or Mexico. And the crying shame of this is that their lack of experience makes them so much more vulnerable to manipulation. I strongly suspect our Fearless Leader Obama doesn't know his *** from a hole in the ground when it comes to foreign policy. God knows he's stepped on his **** over and over.

I have met many Argentines who call all Middle Easterners "Turcos" and all Asians "Chinos." And Obama, whatever his shortcomings, actually lived in Indonesia in his youth and grew up in multi-cultural Hawaii (of course, he cannot compare with the cosmopolitan Shrub).

Theres ignorance everywhere unfortuantely, I`ve had a number of occasions when I explain to people back home that I live in Argentina have responded ,is it Portuguese or Spanish they speak in Argentina? and one use to joke am i an expert at the Brazilian Tango yet. Usually people who dont get out much.

Back