The Ideal Life in Baires

jb5 said:
I'm always surprised by the negative food comments. In addition to the ubiquitous great meat there's excellent Italian, good Middle Eastern and Peruvian, very decent Chinese and French.....it's not NYC but neither are the prices.

Osaka in Palermo has better sushi (granted it's peruvian fusion, but still delicious) than MANY places i've visited in Tokyo and Vancouver (including Tojo's - the guy that invented the california roll)

You're not gonna get good tuna here, fine - but the salmon, octopus & white fish with creative preparations (like yuzu sauce and fried matchstick sweet potatoes)

also, go to El Baqueano in san telmo. 11 course meal for $120 (pesos) you'll try crazy local animals like llama, (yes, it's pronounced shama here) caiman (like alligator) a relative of the ostrich, among other things.

Very cool.

You just have to look for good food here. the big difference from home, for me, is at home you can stumble in most places and have a good meal. here good cooking is fewer and further between, but man when it's good it's GOOD.

Matambre de cerdo and morcilla are a few things that one would be hard pressed to find in the States--

Good cheese is also in short supply States side so you might be right at home here? I love an asado but runny morcilla is stomach churning - THE and I mean THE best black pudding is firm and spicy in texture , can be cut in cubes, fried and served with fish for example in an orange jus, as served in France and my native Ireland..and btw white pudding aso which is the same cereal mix minus the blood....otherwise, bring it on!

Captain Cheetah said:
Which is your favorite Indian restaurant here and why?

Tandoor is the only acceptable India here...because the other handful of restaurants think Tandoori chicken is made with English gravy and microwaving onion bajis is acceptable..poor India offering.

fifs2 said:
Tandoor is the only acceptable India here...because the other handful of restaurants think Tandoori chicken is made with English gravy and microwaving onion bajis is acceptable..poor India offering.

I like Tandoor as well...the chef is actually from North India.

bradlyhale said:
I love Buenos Aires. Always have, and I always will. I can't put a finger on it, to be honest. There are so many great things, from early morning runs along the Ecological Reserve, to the Friday and Saturday nights when everyone is out enjoying themselves.

I've been in Quito for about a month, and I think I started dreaming of being in Buenos Aires beginning on the third day. Every place has its problems, but Buenos Aires has a lot of life and energy. That in itself is good enough for me... and always will be.

I couldn't have put it better. BsAs can be a frustrating city to live in, on many levels (don't get me started on the food!), but in the end of the day there's something magical about it that keeps pulling me in.

when i go to the supermarket , i seem to have a difficult time trying to buy food. there is no variety of ANYTHING. maybe cheese but the rest just plain horrible.

there are a few decent restaurants in the city but the sushi is just plain bad. it seems like salmon for Argentineans is a delicatessen and they use it in every sushi.

Laws for renting a place, getting a debit card/credit card, are RIDICULOUS. only in Argentina.

Argentina is only good for a few things: art, , music, models, asados and tango.

thats all.

fifs2 said:
I definitely prefer Taj Mahal to Tandoor.

I vote for Tandoor... it is the ONLY restaurant in BsAs that I have had a great experience every time I have gone.

Like tonight, even after I defended Argentina earlier in the night in this thread I tried to go to this chinese restaurant in Chinatown only to see the lights off and a piece of paper saying they were closed down by inspectors or something.... so instead we had to get expensive sub par chinese food around the corner recommended by a local on the street. Typical Argentina.

Back