The Pope Is Argentine

"The God of soccer was already Argentinian, and now the Pope is too"
--Diego Maradona

That was THE MOST Argentinian thing someone could have said. Well done Maradona.

I guess that this hasn't been posted.

BFQqK_LCIAA2-WA.jpg

papafranciscoargentinatwitter.jpg

"Attention Brazilians. If you badmouth Argentina, you will burn in hell"

papamaradonatwitter.jpg

"Since I am God, the Pope has to be Argentinian"

Does anyone care to venture a guess what would have happened had someone in the church come out against the dictatorship? People like to say that if the church had spoken against the junta that they wouldn't have been able to commit the atrocities that they did, which is absolute nonsense. A dictatorship hellbent on committing kidnappings and torturing and murdering it's own people will not be swayed because a religious institution spoke out against their actions.

If he or the church had taken a public stand, the dictatorship simply would have come after him and the church and thousands more would have disappeared. And while he did not speak out against the junta, he claims that he hid people on church property to keep them safe and that he interceded to save two priests who had been kidnapped.

http://news.yahoo.co...-193844474.html

None of us can possible know what he or any other leader in the church during the junta went through or what they thought. One man, no matter his stature, would not have been able to stop the dictatorship.

We don't know what would have happened if he came out against the dictatorship because he didn't - I guess we could look to other South American countries where parts of the church did denounce the excesses of dictatorships but we will never really know. He also had the option of exile and adding his voice to the opposition to the regime from outside. You seem quite satisfied with that yahoo news link - he does have numerous accusations hanging over his head from the time including at least one involving the direct testimony of a victim and has also given contradictory declarations in trials regarding the human rights abuses committed by the military.

The church and the military were probably closer in Argentina than in other South American dictatorships of the 70's, no doubt his appointment will renew interest and investigation into his actions during this time, a little skepticism wouldn't go astray.

I'm a practicing Christian Protestant. This does not necessarily mean I go to church every Sunday. What it means is that I try to follow the teaching and examples of that Christ gave. Which is why I have such a disagreement with much of what the modern "church" does and says. It really has too little in common with the real teachings of the man they say they follow.

I was pleasantly surprised to read that this new Pope is a humble man and goes out of his way to avoid attention to himself, that he spends much of his time assisting those that truly need assistance, and that his overarching character is to demonstrate the teachings of Christ in his daily life, not sit around with the other "important" Bishops and debate scripture and self-grandize.

Though I may not agree with the Church's stance (Protestant or Catholic) on some large social issues I predict that this Pope will go far in bringing the Catholic church inline both with The Man and at the same time with the views of 21'st century Catholics. Good for them and good for Argentina.

Another article on his role during the dictatorship

http://m.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/14/pope-francis-argentina-military-junta

Oh c'mon... I do respect your not liking him because of his stance against gay marriage or abortion, but please ... not the 70s AGAIN! Who knows what you guys would have done during the dictadura?

I was just thinking how silly it was that people were so cheerful about the smoke coming out, and then minutes later, when they announced that Bergoglio was the new Pope, I felt so happy... I really dont care much about the Catholic Church, but maybe this will be good for Argentina somehow...

At least Cristina is not the most important person in Argentina anymore and THAT made my day.

Back