The Royal Wedding

I loved the idea of concentrating in something good that's happening in the world for a change. I read and watch the news everyday and at times I don't even wanna do that because is so depressing seeing wars, killings, hunger, etc.
The royal wedding coverage by the media was really refreshing, I'm not British, so for me having queens, kings and princes is a bit of a fairy tale haha... and as it was said before, the wedding itself had a fairy tale vibe, the prince marrying a (very wealthy) commoner. Just loved it!

I don't feel the need to explain why it's important to me, but I will.
No need to react like that, as I pointed out, I was asking because the friends I have in England are all strongly against anything related to the monarchy. So I wanted to know your reasons for liking it.
Thank you for sharing.

Amargo said:
No need to react like that, as I pointed out, I was asking because the friends I have in England are all strongly against anything related to the monarchy. So I wanted to know your reasons for liking it.
Thank you for sharing.

Amargo, your name suits your attitude.
I'm British and proud of our Royal family.
Get used to it!

tanvimil said:
Monarchy is EXTREMELY outdated. The only reason you are interested in it because you like to read the gossip magazines, or simply because you just want an excuse to get shit faced (how English).

When your point rests on making racially offensive generalizations, consider your argument a failure.

Not much of a royalist myself, but its not difficult to see the value in escapism, and the positive effects of this gentle display of national pride.

Beats pinning your hopes on a football team. Or waging a pointless war.

Gringoboy said:
Dignified and joyous. The happy couple deserve all the happiness they can find.
Meticulously organised and above all, a truly happy day cutting a swathe through the craziness of the world today.
Frankly, I felt proud to be British!
Gringoboy said:
Most of we Brits hold the monarchy in high regard, particularly Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, who has reigned with dignity since 1952, if I'm not mistaken.
This Royal family has been shaken to it's core in recent decades, not least the debacle of the late Diana's 'marriage' and subsequent death.
Strangely, one could almost feel Diana's presence today.
The naysayers and anti monarchists are entitled to their opinions, but today was one of celebration and a new chapter in the ancient line of the British Royal family.
You don't have to be British to appreciate the pageant and ceremony that we do so well, but it does help to be British to truly understand it.
I thought the Aston Martin was a beautiful touch by the way :)

A fun media production and tourist boosting enterprise. Nice costuming. Great set. Casting is dodgy but worked this time.

Gringoboy said:
Most of we Brits hold the monarchy in high regard, particularly Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, who has reigned with dignity since 1952, if I'm not mistaken.
This Royal family has been shaken to it's core in recent decades, not least the debacle of the late Diana's 'marriage' and subsequent death.
Strangely, one could almost feel Diana's presence today.
The naysayers and anti monarchists are entitled to their opinions, but today was one of celebration and a new chapter in the ancient line of the British Royal family.
You don't have to be British to appreciate the pageant and ceremony that we do so well, but it does help to be British to truly understand it.
I thought the Aston Martin was a beautiful touch by the way :)

A fun media production and tourist boosting enterprise. Nice costuming. Great set. Casting is dodgy but worked this time. But let's face it the French and Italians do style so much better. Imagine what Fellini could do with this script and set.

The House of Windsor is not remotely ancient in Britain. They were imported from Hanover a couple of generations back by an act of parliament, and changed their family name from Saxe-Coberg Gotha to Windsor as a PR move when the latest war with their German cousin was starting up. Perhaps someone can explain the politics of why parliament went with Hanover. Presumably to balance the power of the Tzar.

The current lot seem ineffectual. They have done nothing since 1940 except muddle through, open a few hospitals, launch a few ships, simper, posture, and manage the financial fortune for their own self interest. For example, has ER done anything at all to hold the City of London's corrupt financial institutions to any kind of ethical standard of national interest... has she fired or demoted a few peers in response to the financial melt-up? She has the power, but does she have the courage and savvy to step up to the political position she inherited? She seems to have been more concerned by the fire in her castle and her own self-image, than destruction of the economy.

Any such concentration of political and financial power in this era should be subject to disclosure and transparency of their holdings. They should pay their parking tickets, income, property and inheritance taxes as a start.

So as usual on this forum, a simple message concerning the wedding of two happy people yesterday gets turned on it's head and veers off into the stratosphere.
If you want to discuss the rights and wrongs of retaining a monarchy in UK, why don't you naysayers and republicans start a new thread entitled 'Why I hate the monarchy'.?
This may also help your 'ancient' theory http://www.achievements.co.uk/services/royal/
For my part, I enjoyed every single minute of the wedding and will probably watch it again.
Also, If I can avoid paying a parking ticket, I will. Same for taxes.

jp said:
When your point rests on making racially offensive generalizations, consider your argument a failure.

Not much of a royalist myself, but its not difficult to see the value in escapism, and the positive effects of this gentle display of national pride.

Beats pinning your hopes on a football team. Or waging a pointless war.

Generalization yes, but hardly racial. The English people is not a race.

Nationalism is hardly positive. That is what causes pointless wars. If the ignorant masses weren't so busy with these stupid distractions, maybe we would live in a better world.

Gringoboy said:
For my part, I enjoyed every single minute of the wedding and will probably watch it again.

Please tell me you are gay.

Thanks for the post. I enjoyed the wedding as well. For me the UK is going through abit of a character crisis at the moment with so many changes, especially the influences of mass immigration. Somehow the Royal Family can be a positive influence, and it is changing to try to find this role.
On a personal level I almost told someone I was British the day of the wedding after spending six years trying to avoid it, so that made a nice change.

Back