The Secrets to Thriving in Argentina.....

I think the OP has a great positive, curious attitude that will serve him well in Argentina and beyond.

Lot's of great advice on how to take advantage of living well here.

If you haven't lived in a developing country for an extended amount of time you need to prepared for the negatives as well. They used to frustrate and bother me, but I've come to accept them. Gotta take the good with the bad as the cliche goes.

Understandable. What are a couple of those negatives you've experienced?

My view may be jaded but there are trillions of negatives to living in Argentina, and I am speaking as someone fluent in Spanish who has/had an Argentinian significant other that could help me navigate stuff. A lot of the negatives can be nullified by staying in Buenos Aires and this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I never really found any part of the interior to be particularly noteworthy. After living in Argentina since the end of 2018 I ended up in Lima, and it is a lot easier to live here and more "first world" but definitely more Latin.

And basic Netflix in Argentina costs ARS 199/mo

This makes me wonder...
With US subscription to Netflix I can come to any supported country (e.g. Argentina or Russia) (or just simulate moving to a country via VPN)
and then with my US subscription I can watch Argentine or Russian selection of films while in this country.

Is it possible to do the same in reverse? Have an Argentine Netflix subscription and watch US selection of films in the US?

This makes me wonder...
With US subscription to Netflix I can come to any supported country (e.g. Argentina or Russia) (or just simulate moving to a country via VPN)
and then with my US subscription I can watch Argentine or Russian selection of films while in this country.

Is it possible to do the same in reverse? Have an Argentine Netflix subscription and watch US selection of films in the US?
YES

Being the great pessimist that I am, i'd like to point out that whatever it was, it might be much much worse in the future. We have difficult years ahead with our economy in the toilet and a ruling party and people that have no talent chosing the less damaging path for us chickens.

Hoping for the best is fooling yourself and i guess most of us will agree, willingly or not, on this.

Iz

If not at retirement age a salary that is not in pesos is necessary, I couldn't imagine having to work 9 to 5 in an office 5 days a week for the pesos on offer.

If earning USD (or EUR, GBP etc) life becomes a different story in Buenos Aires.

Thanks for the tips! Favorite city outside BA to say in? Definitely want to check out the south of Argentina and also Mendoza. In terms of a longer term stay though (a month or so) Cordoba looks like a really cool spot.
In terms of nature - Bariloche / el camino de los siete lagos / El Bolson, Iguazu ( +brazilian side & parque das aves ), Salta / El Cafayate / Purmamarca / Salinas grandes.
Mendoza / San Juan if you want to visit wineries, not much otherwise. Cities outside BSAs are very provincial, Rosario being the second biggest with a feel of a sleepy 60s village...Nothing to do in Cordoba itself, but nice areas for vacationing in pueblos sobre el rio. Check your PM.

For two months you'll be fine. You'll still be in tourist mode. It's when you have to actually live here and do things like interact with the bank or deal with government departments that it truly starts to suck.

You can survive two months without getting tired of eating beef, wine, empanadas, pizza and pasta every day.

But like I said, if you lower your expectations and don't expect high quality or service with anything you should alright. Hell you can't even count on being able to drive somewhere here because there's probably a group of poor people burning tires in the middle of the highway. This isn't a bother when your adventuring around exploring but when you're trying to work and live a life it becomes very annoying.

Back