The Worst Tourist Season In 10 Years..!! Atlantic Coast

Rich One

Registered
January 2013 will go down as the worse tourist session since 2002 (bottom of default crisis).

The weekend economists on the Board can debate as to why ? who? when? an omen?
A writing on the Wall?
The prices were too high? The population had no money? Tourists went overseas?
February will be worse? the second half of February is shot since school starts Feb 20th?

http://www.minutodec...osta-atlantica/

Mar-del-Plata1.jpg

I noticed that it does say on the coast specifically. Maybe Argentines finally decided on a bit of variety and went to other places in Argentina?

Bygone Era...Dreaming with a. bife de Chorizo, Perhaps a new thread?

http://www.minutodec...olares-el-kilo/

in 2020 bife de chorizo price will be US$35 per kilo. While served at the Table (at Ruth's Chris Steak House) perhaps double from todays price or $US 80??? for a petite bjfe, 180 grs. no salad or baked potato.. What about the 400 grs bife I eat...??? :wub: Leaving for the Parrilla NOW... for a US$ 7 bife!! Bon Apetit.!!!

17059.jpg

BIFE-DE-CHORIZO.jpeg

Bygone Era...Dreaming with a. bife de Chorizo, Perhaps a new thread?

http://www.minutodec...olares-el-kilo/

in 2020 bife de chorizo price will be US$35 per kilo, served at the Table (at Ruth's Chris Steak House) perhaps double from todays price or $US 80??? for a petite bjfe, 180 grs. no salad or baked potato..

35 per kilo or 80 per 180 grs? I'll take the former please.

I think its because this time, Argentina went too far with its ludicrously inflated vacation prices. People were most likely already suffering because of general inflation throughout the year so probably had less money for vacation as it is...add to that the fact that alquileres, hoteles, meals out...everything really on the costa pushed its prices up further than ever before and its not surprising that people had to forego their annual trip. I know several Argentines that have gone to Brazil this year because the differences in price between a Brazil trip and a trip to the Argentine coast were pretty comparable. We decided to postpone our vacation this year...I don't understand how on earth people can afford to spend 1-2 months salary on a week or two at the beach just a few hours drive away!

35 per kilo or 80 per 180 grs? I'll take the former please.

May be a misunderstanding .. jajaja $35 per kilo is the estimated supermarket retail price,,,,!! $80 dollars would be the price of a steak served at a restaurant!!
(currently the price of a steak at a resto US $34 is double the retail price of bife de chorizo in the supermarket $17/kilo)

May be a misunderstanding .. jajaja $35 per kilo is the estimated supermarket retail price,,,,!! $80 dollars would be the price of a steak served at a restaurant!!
(currently the price of a steak at a resto US $34 is double the retail price of bife de chorizo in the supermarket $17/kilo)

The prices quoted may be confusing and need to be reviewed, A bife de chorizo in Argentina costs today US$20 in a fine resto. In 2020 the kilo of bife de Chorizo will double in price, therefore a bife may go up to US40...!! :D

Looking at what the trade unions are saying, I think what is happening is that wages are not increasing with inflation. Anyway, you can't win a race with inflation, you can only tame inflation. However the government has for years attempted to keep up but has as is expected, fuelled it more. Now people are feeling the pinch.

Seasonal things like holiday seasons are when people see the difference because generally in a country of 25% inflation, price increases are incremental over a year, going up bit by bit generally. But you notice the big jump in the price of your holiday from what you booked in January 2013 compared to January 2013 as you only go away once in January compared to say buying shopping goods or eating out in a restaurant..

Cristina keeps on mentioning that austerity has made people stop spending in Europe and that is true. People will not buy something if they feel they can't afford to pay it later because of fear of job losses and tax increases. A lot of the consumer growth in Argentina is based on a different assumption that one must buy now and buy a lot because the price will go up. That is an inflationary boom and the one Argentina has been riding on for a few years as it the initial competitive advantage growth for the first few years after 2003 is gone. Thing is such an inflationary consumer boom is unsustainable and now people are not buying because they just can't afford things because inflation is pushing ahead for a comfortable victory against wage increases.

So I am not surprised by the large drop in tourist numbers and spending. If you think of it, it could have been worse if it wasn't for the dollar clamp discouraging people from traveling abroad because their spending is being curbed by the government.

It's called FEAR of the unknown and AWARENESS of the shape of things to come. We've been there and through that already in some unspecific kind of way. Mostly, it's fear.

Back