Thieves In Starbucks- Av. De Mayo

I am not a Starbucks fan but why is the brand mentioned in this incident and the particular branch on Av. De Mayo. Wallets , bags,cell phones, tablets etc keep disappearing from popular venues all over the world . As long it was a harmless robbery,which could be the result of the owners negligence , names shouldn't be mentioned.
Nobody asked if you like Starbucks! [the name is a locater not a survey]
What is a "harmless robbery"?

Because one expat is warning other expats that a certain location is dangerous, therefore the location needs to be identified. Any big US chain like that is a magnet for tourists, and therefore also a magnet for the predators which prey upon tourists.

I don't think there is any reason to keep the name of a business where someone was robbed a secret, but I do wonder if Starbucks in Argentina is much of a tourist magnet. Given the price people are willing to pay for a cup of their coffee I would consider it a magnet for petty thieves, period.

I can only think of one legitimate reason individuals would chose to pay this big, evil, and international corporation so much for a cup of coffee: They like the product. It would be interesting to know what percentage of Starbucks customers in Argentina are tourists from abroad. I remember the long lines early in the morning when the first Starbucks opened at the Alto Palermo Shopping (center). I can't imagine tourists waiting in line for like that for a cup of coffee. If there were many tourists in line then or are many tourists patronizing Starbucks now, it would be a reflection of the fact that they had been in Argentina for a while and know how awful most of the locals brews are.

I live on Av. de Mayo in between both Starbucks branches. One is on Av. de Mayo between 9 de Julio & Tacuarí and the other on the corner of Av. de Mayo and Santiago del Estero. From living here for around 4 years now, I can tell you that this entire street is a huge magnet for theives, petty robberies go on every day, there are MANY homeless people in the area, more and more people living on the street in doorways and any nice stores on Av. de Mayo are closing down and either re-open as chinse supermarkets or kioskos.

This sad news. I am quite familiar with the area of Av. de Mayo between 9 de Julio and Piedras/San Martin.

My first Argentine girlfriend used to dance professionally at the Cafe Tortoni (in the 800 block) and I bought several artworks by Jose Luis Menghi from a private collector near the corner of 9 de Julio (in the 900 block).

The last time I was there was in 2009 and I thought the three blocks of Av. de Mayo between 9 de Julio and Piedras/Esmeralada reflected the one of closest images of BA as the "Paris of Latin America" that was still to be found in the city.

From your present description, it sounds like it now looks the way Rivadavia near Jujuy looked at that time, with people living on the street in doorways and any nice stores closing down, if not long since closed.

Av. de Mayo is in serious decline. The buildings are beautiful, however many of the facades are simply crumbling. It's surprising that in the past few years, several of the facades have been magnificently restored, however, at the street level, it's quite a different story. For example, at the corner of San José and Av. de Mayo one of the buildings was restored completely, inside and out, it was totally abandoned, now after 3 years, the paint is getting dirty, and the ground floor is covered in grafitti and those dumb political posters stuck all over the windows and doors in thick layers and the entire building remains completely empty as well as the ground floor retail stores, empty as well. Caddy corner to that building - only 2 buildings away from the Palacio Barolo was a building that was covered in scaffolding for more than 10 years I was told, the facade was just completely restored, incredibly beautiful and is supposed to reopen in the next few months as a "Tango Theme" hotel. However about 2 weeks ago, during a heavy rainstorm, the entire intersection of Av. de Mayo and San José was so heavily flooded, the sewer drains were spitting water back into the street and the entire ground floor of this hotel, still under construction, was completely flooded as well as it's basement and the subway station and other businesses on that corner were damaged also. I just feel like there is less and less hope for this place.

Another tourist got his Rolex watch snatched yesterday on A. Corrientes near the Obelisco, by two motochorros a hot pursuit by police ended with one motochorro hurt by police gunfire. The Rolex was recovered. How do motochorros spot Rolex watches on unsuspecting tourists? Morale don't carry watches, bags Ipads or expensive cameras, only your ID and money in a money bag carried inside your trousers.

Warning a fake Rolex may FOOL the motochorros and expose you to attack and perhaps loss of life!

Motochorro hurt on the ground

http://www.unoentrer...40502-0038.html

asaltante.jpg_869080375.jpg

That's impressive that they caught a motochorro - were the police on bikes too?

That's impressive that they caught a motochorro - were the police on bikes too?

An electric golf cart owned by the City Guards blocked them!!! a patrullero finally came.

Below is a link showing a list of the recent attacks to snatch Rolex watches MANY..!!

https://www.google.com.ar/search?q=rolex+robo+&rls=com.microsoft:es:%7Breferrer:source?%7D&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7SKPT_esAR399&gfe_rd=cr&ei=6-lkU7nLGYqF8QftloDgBA#q=rolex+robo+turista&rls=com.microsoft:es:%7Breferrer:source%3F%7D

That's impressive that they caught a motochorro

This has to be a rare occasion...but I wonder if "justice" will be served and the perps will be incarcerated for any length of time.

Back