Thinking Of Moving To Ba For A While, Safety Fears?

So I just wanted to get others inputs on one area I'm thinking of moving to. It's between barrio San cristobal and balvanera basically close to calle Belgrano and entre rios. I don't really know buenos aires to much, just passing through to the Patagonia. How safe is this going to be? We are two 25 yr old gringos, and we can't hide it.... I'm VERY gringo looking. I don't really plan on partying late at night often, so won't be walking around at 3 am to often. When I am out it's normally with other portenos anyways, but occasionally I walk home by myself.

Thanks in advance

I used to live close to there. I wouldn't walk around that neighborhood once it's dark. Take a radio taxi.

Thank you for the reply. yes, I know there is no nature in BA, but I will not be shooting there professionally, family videos at most. We picked BA as tourists but I will probably make a trip to Patagonia for the nature part.

Could you please suggest the safest parts of the city?

My wife and I have been here in Ba since January. We live in the Puerto Madero community, which we find to be very safe day and night. Not cheap, but very nice area.

After spending 5 years living in New Orleans, I feel much safer in Buenos Aires. As in any large city, you should be aware of your surroundings and not openly flaunt expensive things (iphones, cameras, etc) and understand which areas are more dangerous than others. Maybe it's naive because I live in Palermo Soho but if you're worried about leaving expensive objects at home, just try and look for a building which has a portero or at least one that is there at night.

After spending 5 years living in New Orleans, I feel much safer in Buenos Aires. As in any large city, you should be aware of your surroundings and not openly flaunt expensive things (iphones, cameras, etc) and understand which areas are more dangerous than others. Maybe it's naive because I live in Palermo Soho but if you're worried about leaving expensive objects at home, just try and look for a building which has a portero or at least one that is there at night.

One in which the portero actually stays awake at night. Seriously, no joke. I heard about this new wave of smart phone theft in California called Apple picking where robbers literally grab your cell phone from your hand while using it. They might change the law to make it compulsory for all smart phones to have shut down technology installed in the phone in case of theft. Who would have thought that the Argentine wave of smart phone theft would have rubbed off on the States?

Back