Thinking Of Purchasing A Bici!

I owned a Dahon Curve folding bike that I brought down from the US in 1 1/2 suitcases. Best decision ever, plus I made a hefty profit on it even after it being used for an entire year.

I liked that I could carry it up the stairs (or fit it in the elevator, which wasn't an option with my playera). It also even fit in a Coto shopping cart when I forgot my lock!

Have you tried one one of the bici-motos? They are good if you want something less than a scooter but with power but the downside is they are heavy to pedal without the motor. We have one- I only use it for 'fun' aka holding on for dear life as I scoot round Plaza Francia, or for travelling when there are few cars about (later evening/ afternoon)

Have you tried one one of the bici-motos? They are good if you want something less than a scooter but with power but the downside is they are heavy to pedal without the motor. We have one- I only use it for 'fun' aka holding on for dear life as I scoot round Plaza Francia, or for travelling when there are few cars about (later evening/ afternoon)

Is that the same as the electric bikes? What kind do you have and where did you get it? Not the same as the E Trotter? Thanks EVERYONE for the great info. Keep it coming!

Is that the same as the electric bikes? What kind do you have and where did you get it? Not the same as the E Trotter? Thanks EVERYONE for the great info. Keep it coming!

No its a 2 stroke weedwacker motor stuck between your legs. I thought about buying one but they just seem scary. I recently bought a bike of mercadolibre for $2400 pesos. Its great, it makes it so much easier to get around to do errands. Today I grabbed some salmon and miso from barrio chino in the same time it would have taken me to go to coto. Once you have a bici you realize that the city is actually pretty small and easy to get around in.

No its a 2 stroke weedwacker motor stuck between your legs. I thought about buying one but they just seem scary. I recently bought a bike of mercadolibre for $2400 pesos. Its great, it makes it so much easier to get around to do errands. Today I grabbed some salmon and miso from barrio chino in the same time it would have taken me to go to coto. Once you have a bici you realize that the city is actually pretty small and easy to get around in.

The bike you bought is a traditional bike? Brand?
The "two stroke" refers to a gas engine?
I'm much more interested in hearing about the rechargeable electric bikes if were talking motorized...does anyone here have one or know of someone who does?

If you're not already doing yoga, you should start. It will end your sciatica and you won't have to worry as much about handle bars & seats.

Go for a real bicycle. There are no hills in BA to require an electric assist. A two-stroke motor will only add to the noise and smog in the city and defeats the purpose of having a bicycle IMO.

I would recommend a step-through frame for you. You'll be in a more upright riding position, allowing you better visibility and less pressure on your hands and back. Look at the playera/paseo styles or the women's English. Avoid skinny tires unless you want to change a flat every time you ride.
I've seen this one at a shop and it's super cute, though excessive on the gearing (you really don't need more than 3 gears here):
http://articulo.merc...olmo-amelie-_JM
I actually have one of the hefty steel-framed Inglesa styles that I purchased from Canaglia a few years ago and it's held up really well, even after being stored outside on my balcony. I also live on the sixth floor with a tiny elevator and the bike and I just barely fit. It is almost identical to this:
http://articulo.merc...a-rodado-26-_JM

I was a daily bike-commuter for 5 years in the States before I moved here; I lived in centro when I first starting riding here and it was really intimidating at first. It felt like all shitty, narrow streets with buses screaming by or insane avenues with the crazy taxistas, 8 million buses, and idiotic drivers. Now, however, I dare say I feel strangely safer riding here. I believe drivers acknowledge a bike's presence and right of the road much more here than in my home-state. I do ride a bit more defensively that I used to, but overall it's been a really enjoyable experience.

Go for a real bicycle. There are no hills in BA to require an electric assist. A two-stroke motor will only add to the noise and smog in the city and defeats the purpose of having a bicycle IMO.

My cycling friends tell me that there is a long difficult incline in the middle of Palermo that isn't noticeable except if you're the one cycling!
I agree with you, I have no interest in polluting the environment and therefore not really interested in gas engines. It's really between Plug in rechargeable electric or probably a folding bike. The Dahon is very highly rated but I don't think there are dealers here so therefore would worry about service issues. Certainly would consider the local brand. Could also purchase the Dahon back in the states but am unsure how I could manage bringing it back--both from the literal how to what about Adouanes? So would PREFER a viable local option if there's a good, reasonably priced one. Also one cyclist says they are harder to pedal? Something to do with wheel size?

Article on local bike shops:
http://www.revistaohlala.com/1623521-encontra-la-bicicleta-que-mejor-va-con-tu-personalidad

Back