This is just not right! Cristina to turn foreign pensions into pesos!

Iznogud said:
I think these are foreign nationals that retired and chose to live in Argentina. It is only logical that their country of origin pay them in hard currency and that they dispose of it any way they please.

i disagree.
There are agreements between Spain, italy and Argentina. These are people born in those countries but they emigrated here during or after WWII. They never worked there or just a few years but they use the time they worked here to retire with the foreing pention.

However, the solution is simple: you open a bank account in uruguay and you go there and get dollars.

Of course that there are expats involved too, but this is not thailand.
Regards

Bajo_cero2 said:
i disagree.
There are agreements between Spain, italy and Argentina. These are people born in those countries but they emigrated here during or after WWII. They never worked there or just a few years but they use the time they worked here to retire with the foreing pention.

It was a decision taken by those country´s govrnmnts, to give them a pension in euros so that their citizens abroad, wherever they are can have assured an income in EUROS. This corrupted regime decided to rob these ppl of those Euros and give them in return "papel pintado" (basically toilet paper). So, Cristina kindly keeps the Euros, the jubilados get toilet paper...great deal, only it wasnt a deal, it was forced upon them :S

Bajo_cero2 said:
However, the solution is simple: you open a bank account in uruguay and you go there and get dollars.
So, the government illegally robs these ppl of their money and the only solution they have is to go to another country where they will not be robbed by the govnrmnt....hmmm, anybody else here thinks there´s something extremaly wrong with this picture ? i guess some ppl dont :S
Bajo_cero2 said:
Regards
You´re right, it´s actually way worse..if you want to compare this regime to a foreign one, you may want to consider Angola or Venezuela....

Bajo_cero2 said:
i disagree.

Regards

The key must be in your first sentence.

Regardless of what anyone believes these people provided as actual work and the time of their of their migration, some other sovereign country considers them entitled to those funds. Those funds being now hard currency coveted by the authorities.
If folks have other means to sustain themselves locally and treasured te foreign currency, now they will be royally fucked by the goverment. If they used those funds to survive, they're doomed.

I discard your solution as not only not practical but also cruel. Your simplistic definition of foreign retirees has me thinking they're all here living la vida loca.
Location, means and health are important issues for older people, I kid you not. You try going to Uruguay on a monthly basis and tell us how do you like it.

jazrgz said:
You´re right, it´s actually way worse..if you want to compare this regime to a foreign one, you may want to consider Angola or Venezuela....

I compared it with Thailand because there many Swedish and Germans retire there.

Regards

Iznogud said:
The key must be in your first sentence.

Regardless of what anyone believes these people provided as actual work and the time of their of their migration, some other sovereign country considers them entitled to those funds. Those funds being now hard currency coveted by the authorities.
If folks have other means to sustain themselves locally and treasured te foreign currency, now they will be royally fucked by the goverment. If they used those funds to survive, they're doomed.

I discard your solution as not only not practical but also cruel. Your simplistic definition of foreign retirees has me thinking they're all here living la vida loca.
Location, means and health are important issues for older people, I kid you not. You try going to Uruguay on a monthly basis and tell us how do you like it.

Well, if we talk about rights, this is not so clear that there is a right to get the money in a foreign currency or to get pesos at an illegal rate.

But it can be discussed at Court no matter if you are a citizen, resident or perma-trourist because no matter your status, you are entitle with full civil rights.

Even we disagree, I will appreciate to respect the disagreement.

Regards

el_expatriado said:
You are missing something. Before this measure if I received a pension from the USA I could have it transferred into Argentina into a US Dollar account. The pension would be converted to pesos by the Central Bank, but then my bank would then buy back US Dollars with the pesos. It was a simultaneous operation. It was then my choice what to do with the US Dollars. I could sell them for pesos or keep them in the bank, or withdraw them and shove them under my mattress. It was my decision.

Now every pensioner is forced to get his or her pension in pesos here at the official rate with no possibility to get dollars or euros again.

It is also just a shameless move. Is it really necessary to steal 30-40% from pensioners? These are people who are living on a fixed income. It just seems really scummy to me.

There is always a possibility to redirect payments for deposit into a US based bank account.

It's all very strange this outrage from expats over the pensioners. How many of these same expats have tried to receive a check from a foreign country denominated in a foreign currency in the US? Were they able to cash the check and receive foreign currency? Probably not!! If, and this is a big IF, you can find a bank in the US which will first cash a non-US bank check, and second cash a check denominated in a currency other than USD, the bank will at a minimum convert the notional amount to USD and then if you want another currency in cash, they will convert again to your requested currency (if they have it in the drawer). Why does this all happen this way? Because the 'cashing' of the check must clear though the central bank of the US and the central bank of the issuing country. So for someone to have the freedom to receive a pension in a country other than the issuing country, a lot of things have to happen in the background. An of course those things in the background happen at the institutions' regard. The institutions are certainly not going to do the transactions at the FX rate you request - they are going to use the rate they have access to. Which in the case of Argentina is the official FX rate. So quite frankly it would be very surprising if these pensioners were getting EUR bills issued to them directly or if they were getting EUR/ARS blue rate FX.

Stop the outrage, and think a little please.

My earlier (apparently off-message) point was not arguing about the rights and wrongs of governement policy, more a philosophical point for all of us who choose to live in another country than our own:
- if it rains, we get wet along with all argentines
- if there is no gas in the petrol stations then we get by without gas just like the argentines, and
- if the government decides to severely restrict all access to hard-currencies then we are restricted alongside all the argentines

And if these "pensioners" are actually Argentine citizens then the point is even more valid, no ? .... thats all.

KarlaBA said:
It's all very strange this outrage from expats over the pensioners. How many of these same expats have tried to receive a check from a foreign country denominated in a foreign currency in the US? Were they able to cash the check and receive foreign currency? Probably not!! If, and this is a big IF, you can find a bank in the US which will first cash a non-US bank check, and second cash a check denominated in a currency other than USD, the bank will at a minimum convert the notional amount to USD and then if you want another currency in cash, they will convert again to your requested currency (if they have it in the drawer). Why does this all happen this way? Because the 'cashing' of the check must clear though the central bank of the US and the central bank of the issuing country. So for someone to have the freedom to receive a pension in a country other than the issuing country, a lot of things have to happen in the background. An of course those things in the background happen at the institutions' regard. The institutions are certainly not going to do the transactions at the FX rate you request - they are going to use the rate they have access to. Which in the case of Argentina is the official FX rate. So quite frankly it would be very surprising if these pensioners were getting EUR bills issued to them directly or if they were getting EUR/ARS blue rate FX.

Stop the outrage, and think a little please.

What I would really like to know is if I wanted to transfer pesos from Argentina which would be converted to dollars in my US bank account, who and/or what would determine the rate of exchange, and if it is even possible.

Back