Thursday Strike

Not sure if this is a serious post or not but concerning tomorrow I have been advised by several argentines not to go outside, and avoid any groups as people's behavior will be unpredictable and it is possible hatred and anger could possible turn towards foreigners.

I received this from the US state dept.

Security Message for U.S. Citizens – General Labor Strike Scheduled for Thursday,
April 10
U.S. Embassy Buenos Aires, Argentina
April 8, 2014

Dear U.S. Citizen:

The U.S. Embassy informs U.S. citizens living and traveling in Argentina of a general strike which several labor unions have planned for Thursday, April 10. You should expect disruptions in public transportation and traffic, as well as possible delays and cancellations of flights into and out of Buenos Aires. While the strike will likely focus on the capital city, disruptions may also take place countrywide. Travelers are encouraged to frequently check all scheduled flights at the general information number, 5480-6111, which will direct inquiries to the correct airport office with a recorded message in English and Spanish.

The Embassy has scheduled an administrative day and will be closed for routine public services. In the event of an emergency involving a U.S. citizen, please contact the Embassy at (54) (11) 5777-4873.

Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.

We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Argentina enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates, and makes it easier for the U.S. embassy or nearest U.S. consulate to contact you in an emergency. If you don’t have Internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

Regularly monitor the State Department’s website, where you can find current Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and the Worldwide Caution. Read the Country Specific Information for Argentina. For additional information, refer to “A Safe Trip Abroad” on the State Department’s website.

Contact the U.S. embassy or consulate for up-to-date information on travel restrictions. You can also call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays). Follow us on Twitter and Facebook in order to have travel information at your fingertips.

The U.S. Embassy in Buenos Aires is located at Avenida Colombia 4300 in the Palermo neighborhood of Buenos Aires (near the Plaza Italia stop on the "D" line subway) and is open to the public from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, except U.S. and Argentine holidays. The main Embassy switchboard telephone is (54) (11) 5777-4533. For after-hour emergencies involving a U.S. citizen, dial (54) (11) 5777-4873. The Consular Section is open to the public from 8:30 a.m. to noon and 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, except on U.S. and Argentine holidays. Additional information on Embassy services is available by e-mail at [email protected].

American Citizen Services
U.S. Embassy

City looks so nice already with no loud, polluting, stinky buses making their wheezing noises all around town. I understand the need for public transportation but the buses should be better an the drivers should be civilized.

Not sure if this is a serious post or not but concerning tomorrow I have been advised by several argentines not to go outside, and avoid any groups as people's behavior will be unpredictable and it is possible hatred and anger could possible turn towards foreigners.

I received this from the US state dept.

Security Message for U.S. Citizens – General Labor Strike Scheduled for Thursday,
April 10
U.S. Embassy Buenos Aires, Argentina
April 8, 2014

Dear U.S. Citizen:

American Citizen Services
U.S. Embassy
(above quote heavily edited for brevity)

Interesting that the embassy sends you messages...
<_<

(above quote heavily edited for brevity)

Interesting that the embassy sends you messages...
<_<

The embassy sends me messages too. You just need to register. It's not a bad idea. If something really goes to sh*t like a natural disaster they know you are still in the country.

By the way, it looks like there is no Subway, either. I guess I'll have to skate to Recoleta for my meetings.

Certainly makes the roads very inviting for a bit of biking.
Here in Olivos, it's quieter than Christmas Day.
I know it's not good for people who need/want to work, but frankly the peace and quiet is a pleasure.

Back