Thursday Strike

Not likely in a country that voted nearly 100 percent for political status quo, with full employment and among the world's highest per capita GDPs. Also near-zero inflation.
This is a serious comment right?

Yeah. The thugs occupied all the lines. Those who were going to work can't do so because the workers of the B line are forcefully keeping them from it.

Highways are cut off, no gas at the gas stations, I'd say most businesses are closed as people can't get to work.

Three busses stop directly infront of my apartment which is convient, but noisy at all hours. It's nice to be able to not hear the chugs and chokes of the old busses coming and going.

According to my BA City app the government makes, there is no subway and linea Urquiza service.

Gringoboy that ajoknoblauch post has sarcasm written all over it

No sarcasm. The Falklands referendum was totally transparent, with international observers. The per capita GDP is high (small population, high income from fishing licenses and a few other sources), and unemployment next to none (http://country-facts.findthedata.org/l/208/Falkland-Islands-Malvinas, but there are many other sources).

No sarcasm. The Falklands referendum was totally transparent, with international observers. The per capita GDP is high (small population, high income from fishing licenses and a few other sources), and unemployment next to none (http://country-facts.findthedata.org/l/208/Falkland-Islands-Malvinas, but there are many other sources).

Ohhhhhh

My apologies. I thought you were saying those things about Argentina.

Well, here downtown everything seems totally calm, with only two differences I noted.

First, I had to walk a block further to buy my morning newspapers, and there were only three to choose from. (oh, what cruel hardship!)

Second, the Plan B down the street, where I go to get cappuccino and (very slowly) read the newspapers, had their usual outside tables deployed out in the street, since the only vehicles allowed are public transport and those are all on strike. I walked around for a while, and everything seems quite calmly normal, apart from the absence of taxis and buses.

I did have one moment of amazement and amusement. Up on 9 de Julio, some guy drove past in a sports car that would have been 60K in the States, and probably close to 90K here if I understand the import duties correctly. I stood there shaking my head and speculating. Too rich to care? Too oblivious to know? Looking to collect the insurance money because he can't afford the payments anymore? Works at the embassy and doesn't need to give a damn because it's not his car? Wearing a vest, carrying an Uzi, and feeling macho? You'd think he would at least be a little concerned about getting hurt when they jack his ride, but whatever.

I have to salute the dedication of my hotel's staff. Most of them spent the night here last night, and probably will again tonight, but by god they had everything working normally. Usual lavish breakfast buffet, usual briskly efficient maid service, usual cheerful smiles, it's just amazing. The only thing I saw out of the ordinary was the number of people down at reception complaining that their flights were cancelled, as though that had anything to do with the hotel...

Back