Tipping culture in Argentina

What ever happened to service...?
The idea of tipping is border-line ridiculous to me. I understand the relevance of it in cultures like the US and Egypt however.

Coming from a place where the key to getting good service is simply to engage with people, as people, and build a relationship I tend to cringe at wanton tippers and tip seekers. In Argentina like in Europe or Brazil, I feel tipping is a gesture (10% at restaurants) but not really expected unless someone bends the rules for you or does something truly “extra”. Most service staff have a basic work ethic and know what their job is. No one will turn down free money but they may think you’re “Gil” if you’re too generous.

By monetizing basic service people just start to feel entitled to more and often forget they have a job to do in the first place (assuming that job pays them enough to live off...) so am not sure how I feel about “importing” foreign tipping cultures to places where their tipping culture is different.

We differ. In my view, that's a sad way to go through life. But to each his own.
OTB,

With all due respect to you, while being mindful of your freedom to act and think as you choose:

You can live your life anyway you desire. It is not up to me to declare if what you do is good, bad, appealing, unappealing etc ... It's your life, you get to do whatever you like. I pass no judgement on you for what you select for yourself. It simply does not matter to me.

MONEY -

In it's simplest form, is intended to compensate for debts, goods and services ... public and private.

Money can do a lot of good and, or it can do a lot of evil. Regardless, money is a tool! It is a very powerful tool!

That is how I view it.

What ever happened to service...?
The idea of tipping is border-line ridiculous to me. I understand the relevance of it in cultures like the US and Egypt however.

Coming from a place where the key to getting good service is simply to engage with people, as people, and build a relationship I tend to cringe at wanton tippers and tip seekers. In Argentina like in Europe or Brazil, I feel tipping is a gesture (10% at restaurants) but not really expected unless someone bends the rules for you or does something truly “extra”. Most service staff have a basic work ethic and know what their job is. No one will turn down free money but they may think you’re “Gil” if you’re too generous.

By monetizing basic service people just start to feel entitled to more and often forget they have a job to do in the first place (assuming that job pays them enough to live off...) so am not sure how I feel about “importing” foreign tipping cultures to places where their tipping culture is different.
As long as there is money and a need for it in organized society, it will attract people who desire it.

And as long as people are attracted to it, there will people who will use it to their advantage.

It's just the way it is.

How else do you account for that 80+ year old millionaire with the 20 something girlfriend or wife?

(That may be taking the point too far, but it is a great example none the less.)

Tigre, thanks for your detailed and very lengthy reply. I respect your right to your point of view, which I definitely do not share.

The way I see it, concentrating on what benefits oneself, and focusing on how "to get preferential treatment and to set yourself up for next time." really is a sad way to go through life. What happened to giving just for the joy of helping someone else?

If I misunderstood you, my apologies. Otherwise, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
I am not sure why there are so many issues with porteros. I have lived in many buildings and never once felt gossiped about. Basically I minded my own business and the portero minded their business.

Tigre, thanks for your detailed and very lengthy reply. I respect your right to your point of view, which I definitely do not share.

The way I see it, concentrating on what benefits oneself, and focusing on how "to get preferential treatment and to set yourself up for next time." really is a sad way to go through life. What happened to giving just for the joy of helping someone else?

If I misunderstood you, my apologies. Otherwise, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Tip anyway you like, for whatever reason you like.

Do what you want, I don't mind. I can't emphasize that enough.

And ... No, you are not mis understanding me. You seem to have the gist of what I have shared.

A tip, for me, is not something I do to bring the other party joy. I truly could care less if they are happy in their life or their job.

It's not my problem what they make of their life and their existence.

It (A tip.) is something I do to get preferential treatment and better service, plain and simple.

Without the customer's money, there is no transaction and everyone loses. When I am the customer, I expect to be treated as such, otherwise I am spending my money somewhere else.

As cold and bold as all that sounds, it goes no deeper than that. Business is business, I seek no friends when I am the customer, just service. And I understand I am not the friend of the customer when I am in the capacity of serving them. It cuts both ways.

This is the way I was taught. This is the way I think. It does not make me a bad or evil person.

FTR >>> I am ALWAYS respectful to that person or group that serves me. I go out of my way to treat them with the courtesy, kindness and respect they deserve and are entitled to. I never feel that I am superior to anyone, particularly the person I am tipping. I do not own them, nor do I ever feel or act like I do.

I am going to stop here, I don't desire to keep going back and forth with you.

Respectfully,

From me to you.

How else do you account for that 80+ year old millionaire with the 20 something girlfriend or wife?
They exist everywhere, even Japan. But tipping does not. It’s something cultural that frankly I wish more Americans would learn when they go abroad before they insist on shoving wads of cash into someone’s hand and can’t see/ understand that the other person feels degraded or uncomfortable by the act.

And if you don't tip, people may consider you a cheapskate. It causes bad feelings a great deal of the time.

Do whatever you want, I really don't care. For me, I plan to tip people when I feel it is the correct thing to do. If my intended recipient feels degraded or uncomfortable, they will survive. There was no such consequence intended on my part.

No more "tip talk" for me ... this subject is really getting out of control.

And if you don't tip, people may consider you a cheapskate. It causes bad feelings a great deal of the time.
In the UK, where there is no tipping, you wouldn't be looked on as a cheapskate. You would more likely offend. It's why I have a hard time having the social courage to tip in countries where it is more acceptable. I still do of course, but I always find it an embarrassing exchange if done face to face.

Back