Tipping The Delivery Guy - What Is A Good Amount?

The "cubierto" is a sly way of making more money. It really needs to be eliminated. The other day they charged a cubierto at an empanada place, not what is considered a "restaurant" here. I complained to the waitress.

Another issue that annoys me: getting told the bill orally, no "ticket". This happened recently at a famous cafe on Florida. Waiter told me the price. I asked for a "ticket". He came back with the "ticket" showing a lower price. Adding a little to the bill, especially if you are a foreigner, seems a common practice.

Adding a little to the bill, especially if you are a foreigner, seems a common practice.

It never happened to me here. My experience is completely opposite from yours. Since when I have arrived, every shop owner or clerk has been extremely clear on prices, showing me the item list with the price of every item, the total, etc. If I gave too much because I didn't understand the amount, I was always given back the extra amount. This happened at least 15 times!
For how much odd it may sounds, I have found Argentines very transparent and honest in this regard. I think they plainly hate yanquis, hence they try to play tricks on them.

It never happened to me here. My experience is completely opposite from yours. Since when I have arrived, every shop owner or clerk has been extremely clear on prices, showing me the item list with the price of every item, the total, etc. If I gave too much because I didn't understand the amount, I was always given back the extra amount. This happened at least 15 times!
For how much odd it may sounds, I have found Argentines very transparent and honest in this regard. I think they plainly hate yanquis, hence they try to play tricks on them.

I guess you're not a "Yanqui" (insulting term in my opinion...like "Sudaca" but that's another topic....). What do you do? Show your Swiss passport or something? Seriously, I find shopping here very difficult precisely because items are very OFTEN NOT marked with a price. For major purchases I've often had to have an Argentine friend make the purchase without my being present.

I guess you're not a "Yanqui" (insulting term in my opinion...like "Sudaca" but that's another topic....).

How do you feel about Argie? I think it's as offensive as LImey, Mick, Dago, etc, but many here think nothing of its use.

I think they plainly hate yanquis, hence they try to play tricks on them.

The funny thing is, your average Argentino can't dissect a foreign accent, so they don't know an American from English, Irish, or even a Swede, if the spoken language is English.

The funny thing is, your average Argentino can't dissect a foreign accent, so they don't know an American from English, Irish, or even a Swede, if the spoken language is English.

I think they will judge by your appearance first, as most people can't distinguish where you are from by your accent (me included). Now that I have become a littler braver, when I am asked where I am from I challenge them to guess. 100% of the time I get "Europe", which is fine to me.
There's more than your accent that tells where you are from! It's your clothes, the way you move, how confident you look, etc.

About yanqui, I think it has a negative connotation as they use it here. However, Dustin Luke made good money by self-calling himself yanqui, so get over it and make the best out of it.

It's your clothes, the way you move, how confident you look, etc.

Confidence! Confidence ! Confidence!

Yanqui men are the only men, moving in shorts in CABA ; And speaking Spanish in the worst possible accent.

Confidence! Confidence ! Confidence!

Yanqui men are the only moving in shorts in CABA ; And speaking Spanish in the worst possible accent.

The shorts thing used to be true, but I see Argentinos in cargo shorts all summer long (and of course Bermudas have always been en vogue in ARG).

Back