Tipping The Delivery Guy - What Is A Good Amount?

Another issue that annoys me: getting told the bill orally, no "ticket". This happened recently at a famous cafe on Florida. Waiter told me the price. I asked for a "ticket". He came back with the "ticket" showing a lower price. Adding a little to the bill, especially if you are a foreigner, seems a common practice.

Not just to foreigners, many waiters, depending on the neighborhood where the establishment is located, do as well to the local patrons. They size you up by how you dress, what you order, etc. to determine if and how much they can "add" to your bill hoping the customer won't ask for a ticket.

How do you feel about Argie? I think it's as offensive as LImey, Mick, Dago, etc, but many here think nothing of its use.

Argie....Diminutive of Argentinian with -ie..... (plural Argies) (informal) An Argentinian....

I use the term without a derogatory connotation when speaking or writing in English. Regardless whether a person addresses me as Argie or Argentine, if I perceive that the comment that follows and/or the tone of voice of the speaker is meant in a disparaging manner, then the salutation as well may have a different slant to THAT person.

Argie.....Used especially in British tabloid newspapers during the Falklands War against Argentina in 1982.

I am Argie by birth and have lived in the SF Bay Area since early childhood. I do have a British ancestor dating back to the early 1900's. But have no feelings either way on the subject of the Falklands War.

The funny thing is, your average Argentino can't dissect a foreign accent, so they don't know an American from English, Irish, or even a Swede, if the spoken language is English.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I agree. And when the average Argie encounters LOCALLY persons with Asian features, they are not able to differentiate between those from China, Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam, etc. [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Or from Africa, such as those from Senegal. [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Or the ones from Middle Eastern countries, such Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, etc. And last but not least they cannot differentiate those from Armenia. Although between 70,000 and 135,000 ethnic Armenians live in ARG. It is the largest Armenian population in Latin America.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I agree. And when the average Argie encounters LOCALLY persons with Asian features, they are not able to differentiate between those from China, Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam, etc. [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Or from Africa, such as those from Senegal. [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Or the ones from Middle Eastern countries, such Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, etc. And last but not least they cannot differentiate those from Armenia. Although between 70,000 and 135,000 ethnic Armenians live in ARG. It is the largest Armenian population in Latin America.[/background]
Most of the time I can't either, sorry to say.
N

Back